Public land nemesis

Well I drove down off the mountain for work and decided I would hit the deer stand tonight instead of making the trek back up. Season 5 started off a little scary tonight. I climbed up in one of my stands and started trimming all the new branches and limbs. As I trimmed I heard buzzing and figured it was sweat bees bees as they are around every year. I kept trimming and the buzzing is getting louder and louder so I look up and about 2 feet above my head is a basketball sized bald faced hornets nest and they were starting to pour out of it. So I frantically start trying to detangle my bow tow rope and I look again at the nest and now it looks like 100s (probably like 20) are pouring out of the nest. So I grab my bow and one handed it out the tree in about 10 seconds suffering only 1 sting. That was probably the most scared I have ever been while hunting. I honestly thought about leaving my bow and possibly jumping at one point.
Anyways that's my favorite early season spot. Not sure what I'm gonna do about it.
Holy moly that would scare the shit out of me too. In AIT in Ft Sam Houston in the Army I laid in the prone on a fire ant hill in the dark only laid there for about ten seconds before everyone thought I’d some how been hit with a live round. Ended up in the hospital because of the number of bites. Not allergic or would’ve never made the hospital. As far as what to do, only thing I’ve ever heard really works is torching nests at night when they are inside and dormant. Good luck hope you find a work around.

Yep. That would be my suggestion too. Bombing the nest exit hole with hornet killer spray at night might do it if fire danger is too great to light em up, but the smell would be around for days. Good luck.

Heard of a guy balsy enough to put a trash bag over a nest to get rid of it. Not sure if that's smart or even an option for you. Also, it's late enough in the year, that a few well placed 12 gauge rounds may take care of it. Again, not sure it's smart or an option.

Heard of a guy balsy enough to put a trash bag over a nest to get rid of it. Not sure if that's smart or even an option for you. Also, it's late enough in the year, that a few well placed 12 gauge rounds may take care of it. Again, not sure it's smart or an option.
Trash seems a little risky even at night having to climb down the tree with it. If it was accessible from the ground that would probably work.

Way risky. Dowse that thing with wasp/hornet killer and let it soak Hit it at night
I think that's the way I'm gonna go. The key will be getting good contact through the lower canopy. Cause I really don't want to climb up 20+ feet spray it and scramble down. I don't know how quickly they can spring to life at night.

Back