Caribou Gear Tarp

Public land enrolled in Block Management?

So I'm supposed to cross reference my maps and gps with the block management maps every time I go to hunt a piece of state land? Now I'm curious what I could be ticketed for? Trespassing on state property?

Thanks everyone for all the information. I may not agree with the answer but at least I have a better understanding of how this all works.

As I recall, there must be a sign posting the BMA restriction. Are you referring to the BMA just east of Colstrip on Rosebud Cr/Tongue River? If so, that one has been that way forever.

Rob,

That was somewhat along the lines I believed to be true. However, in my phone conversations with FWP, it per hunter and because the state land is w/in the BM that land owner receives payment "per hunter" even if the hunter specifically drives to, steps on and hunts just the state land . My prior post does not suggest the landowner closed off the county or state hwy. I shared that to present access to the state land w/o routing via private.

As I recall, there must be a sign posting the BMA restriction. Are you referring to the BMA just east of Colstrip on Rosebud Cr/Tongue River? If so, that one has been that way forever.

Yes one along the tongue and one South of Colstrip on 39. I've had several people tell me that they've been told by the landowner that they need to check in when they want to fish river within that section. Total BS if you ask me but all in all that land owner is pretty good to deal with. At least they don't harass people for looking at elk while parked on the county road like another local land owner does...

It makes me feel better that the landowner isn't paid any more by including a piece of state land. That was part of my original complaint. Just a minor issue for an otherwise great program.

Fire_9, I was advised they are paid. If the state land is included within the BM, they get paid as if you were hunting on their land due to the inclusion and the opportunity to hunt their land.
<edit added>
Contact the BM coordinator for your region... I would imagine it is the same regardless the region.

Last edited:
Yes one along the tongue and one South of Colstrip on 39. I've had several people tell me that they've been told by the landowner that they need to check in when they want to fish river within that section. Total BS if you ask me but all in all that land owner is pretty good to deal with. At least they don't harass people for looking at elk while parked on the county road like another local land owner does...

It makes me feel better that the landowner isn't paid any more by including a piece of state land. That was part of my original complaint. Just a minor issue for an otherwise great program.

Block management is not about fishing access. It's specific to hunting. If you have a legal access point to hit the river, you do not need to check in with anyone. While it may increase your ability to access his lands, it is still your right to access the river at legal points and wade or float within the high water mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back