Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Public land access through Carbon offsets?

Did you read your NOAA article?
Yes, I read them all.
A) It gives zero evidence that anything is man caused.
Not the point of that article.
B) Explains how we measure sea level(based on comparing the CHANGING height of various points on land to the height of the ocean using satellites) and expects you to think that a 2.6” rise in sea level is possible to prove. I doubt that’s outside the margin of error! Did anyone even prove that those points in land didn’t erode 2.6”?
Have you ever heard about LiDAR? 2.6" is well outside of the tolerance. There's an entire industry of professional surveyors who would lose their jobs if they were off by 2.6"
C) Cites terrible problems like nuisance flooding in populated areas, and as stated in A) blames it on global warming rather than increased pavement that doesn’t absorb water the way the ground does.
Both are contributors to flooding. It's not one or the other.
D Suggests that the primary reason a .125” increase in sea level rise(which I’d assert there isn’t absolute proof of) is so deviating is because a lot of people live near the coast. As if in 100 years, when the water may or may not be 8” deeper, people can’t handle that.
I dare you to run a cost estimate on adding 8" to all the levees and seawall around US.
Do you remember mentioning the costly sea walls we’re going to have to pay for? Man I don’t know if I can afford to build an 8” sea wall in 100 years!!!

Did you notice that the article was last updated in 2020, and A) still quotes 2014 as the highest sea level, and B) that the .125” per year rise in sea level is based on a 2.6” rise from 1993 to 2014 and not actually on a consistent year to year increase of .125”?
That's what happens when you have an anti-science activist running the country for 4 years.
WE’RE GONNA NEED AN 8” SEA WALL!!! AND, WE ONLY HAVE 100 YEARS TO BUILD IT!!!
I cannot fix science illiteracy on a HT post. But your post is a prime reason why I support getting students back into the classroom as soon as possible.

Yes, I read them all.

Not the point of that article.

Have you ever heard about LiDAR? 2.6" is well outside of the tolerance. There's an entire industry of professional surveyors who would lose their jobs if they were off by 2.6"

Both are contributors to flooding. It's not one or the other.

I dare you to run a cost estimate on adding 8" to all the levees and seawall around US.

That's what happens when you have an anti-science activist running the country for 4 years.

I cannot fix science illiteracy on a HT post. But your post is a prime reason why I support getting students back into the classroom as soon as possible.
1) It may not be the point of the article, but if that isn’t the point if the article, then the article doesn’t support the man caused global warming narrative very well.

2) LiDAR’s existence doesn’t matter here. They’re using satellites that have been in space since at least 1993(possibly earlier, but that’s the year they compared sea level data to) to take the measurements. Do they have LiDar on them that is that good, and if so, why are all these companies flying their LiDAR equipment around in helicopters and drones? Can’t they just buy some data from NOAA or NASA for a lot less? Even so, that still doesn’t account for the shifting of the land marks. There is a lot of room for error in areas other than measuring the distance from a satellite to a landmark, and 2.6” is pretty darn precise. Not only that, but it only makes the claim that it was 2.6” higher in 2014 than in 1993. For an article updated in 2020, not to cite any evidence of continued rise since 2014 is a little odd. Has the sea level dropped since then? Stayed the same? Risen at a disappointing rate? Been measured via a new method that questions the validity of the results?

3) At least you agree to the obvious issue of non-absorbent materials contributing to flooding of urban areas. It’s extremely obvious.

4) Cost if adding 8” to existing sea walls and levies....well we have 100 years to pay for it, and I don’t know why I should be paying for it anyway. I don’t live in a flood zone. I’ve yet to figure out why I keep getting taxed to rebuild homes in areas that have been hit by a hurricane in the past, and have a 100% certainty of being hit by a hurricane in the future. Can’t get insurance on your house? Here’s your sign. Build on higher ground or be prepared to rebuild on your own dime. Same for sea walls. If you’re afraid of the ocean being 8” higher in a century, you should pay for the sea wall or buy/build elsewhere.

5) I can’t speak for Trump, but as for science, science is a process, not a person or an opinion. Recently the media has been calling opinions of learned people “science” and nothing could be further from the truth. I’m not accusing you of making the same error, but the news media has done as much or more to tarnish “science” as the President has. Dr “put your mask on, no take it off, no put it back on” Fauci who did a study on the safety and efficacy of HCQ on other human corona viruses but doesn’t want anyone to take it isn’t “science”, and neither is his opinion. He’s a person who can’t decide what his opinion is at the moment, and the media claiming that if you argue with him, you don’t believe in “science” is just one example.

6) I too support getting kids back in the classroom and teaching them to think for themselves and not just swallow everything a person with a credential puts into print, especially if that person is being supported by a politician from either party.

Last edited:
I sort of regret bringing a complicated topic like this here, but wanted to see if anyone had experience that could help me understand. I tend to break everything down into financial incentives. Fed and states will need revenue to replace the money received from O&G extraction on public land. Carbon credits might help. Private land holders are incentivized to improve their own lands and hold them intact. However, it is a bit of a shell game, which the participation of O&G companies shows. But I still think if done right it would give lands in their natural state a financial value that exceeds what they have now, with little downside.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN28Q10C

I sort of regret bringing a complicated topic like this here, but wanted to see if anyone had experience that could help me understand. I tend to break everything down into financial incentives. Fed and states will need revenue to replace the money received from O&G extraction on public land. Carbon credits might help. Private land holders are incentivized to improve their own lands and hold them intact. However, it is a bit of a shell game, which the participation of O&G companies shows. But I still think if done right it would give lands in their natural state a financial value that exceeds what they have now, with little downside.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN28Q10C

"The firm plans to increase its renewable power capacity 20-fold by 2030 to 50 gigawatts while reducing its oil output by 40% and diverting more funds to low-carbon investments."

All this pie in the sky hype is always sometime in the future and everyone forgets about the the claims when the target date arrives. Then people will still buy into this rhetoric when 2040 is set as the new target date. B P is shameless!

I just had a septic system installed and am going to be needing to replant carbon sequestering vegetation to cover the ground I disturbed while building my house.
What kind of vegetation I replant will be influenced by the amount of investment I receive from "green" companies also developing the Gallatin Valley and wanting to offset their impact.
For potential investors I propose...

A $50K carbon offset credit will let you claim "carbon neutral since 2021". The cost/benefit analysis shows that the initial investment into carbon credits will have an expected five year payoff in marketing value alone, not to mention the added value of knowing you are a good company and your emissions are actually helping save the earth.

Carbon Credit Cost breakdown.
1. $1,500- Tillage equipment, fertilizer, native grasses seed blend.
2. $5,000- Wildlife friendly shrubs and trees
3. $5,000- Property wide irrigation system
4. $20,000- Llama shelter,fencing,tack and trailer. To encourage more efficient carbon sequestration by promoting rapid growth in grasses. Also, reduces invasive weeds and undesirable forbs.
5. $3,000- Cost of spouse's vacation to offset impact of Llama ownership.
6. $5,500- Cost of transportation to hunt moose and caribou.

This carbon offset credit will be valid and in effect for five years. New terms and costs will be renegotiated at that time.

Investors can PM me on this forum. *
*Big Fin can use my Llamas for his cut of me making business deals on his forums.

I just had a septic system installed and am going to be needing to replant carbon sequestering vegetation to cover the ground I disturbed while building my house.
What kind of vegetation I replant will be influenced by the amount of investment I receive from "green" companies also developing the Gallatin Valley and wanting to offset their impact.
For potential investors I propose...

A $50K carbon offset credit will let you claim "carbon neutral since 2021". The cost/benefit analysis shows that the initial investment into carbon credits will have an expected five year payoff in marketing value alone, not to mention the added value of knowing you are a good company and your emissions are actually helping save the earth.

Carbon Credit Cost breakdown.
1. $1,500- Tillage equipment, fertilizer, native grasses seed blend.
2. $5,000- Wildlife friendly shrubs and trees
3. $5,000- Property wide irrigation system
4. $20,000- Llama shelter,fencing,tack and trailer. To encourage more efficient carbon sequestration by promoting rapid growth in grasses. Also, reduces invasive weeds and undesirable forbs.
5. $3,000- Cost of spouse's vacation to offset impact of Llama ownership.
6. $5,500- Cost of transportation to hunt moose and caribou.

This carbon offset credit will be valid and in effect for five years. New terms and costs will be renegotiated at that time.

Investors can PM me on this forum. *
*Big Fin can use my Llamas for his cut of me making business deals on his forums.
That's more shameless than B P, Gerald! Greedy corporate capitalists try topping this scheme!

That's more shameless than B P, Gerald! Greedy corporate capitalists try topping this scheme!
You sir, are insufferable! I offer solutions and you scoff at my salvation for the environment. 😏😉
Perhaps I offered it too cheaply and the value wasn’t perceived? I can offer premium and executive options for 100K and 159K respectively. Top tier options come with complementary cheese and boxed wine for a year.

You sir, are insufferable! I offer solutions and you scoff at my salvation for the environment. 😏😉
Perhaps I offered it too cheaply and the value wasn’t perceived? I can offer premium and executive options for 100K and 159K respectively. Top tier options come with complementary cheese and boxed wine for a year.
I know that threads usually go south once cheese and boxed wine are mentioned, but I will try to stay on topic. Looks like Sieben ranch is getting carbon offsets which is revenue that adds to block management and normal operations. Next year you may be eligible to call Finite Carbon if your land is 40acres, but your expected price is a tad high.

https://www.finitecarbon.com/clients/family/

Thanks to the voters and utility rate payers, the payout was good for these California landowners!

Well your Sanders County roots are showing with the boxed wine offering.
Frugal yet fancy. Floral notes to the wine with just a hint of cardboard and plastic in the aftertaste.

I don’t expect everyone to understand how much I am doing for the environment with this offer, but a small statue in my honor that future generations can topple would be appropriate in my mind.
I’ll let the gallery determine whether to have the plaque bear my real name or a euphemism that reflects the value of the day.

I read it. China's burning more coal while we are buying more carbon offsets. Business as usual again.
China shut off coal imports from Australia, for some reason, which is why they are restricting electrical consumption. China also produces more electricity from renewables than any other country in the world. The two, China coal consumption and US carbon credits, are not related. I have noticed you seem to have a grudge against China. Start another thread.

This paragraph highlights the dog and pony show you want to promote. China is just one player in this charade.

"China’s leader, Xi Jinping, has vowed to make China a climate leader and to make the country carbon-neutral by 2060. But the country still draws nearly 70 percent of its power from fossil fuels, predominantly coal, and those energy sources have helped propel China’s impressive recovery from the pandemic. By May of this year, China’s carbon dioxide emissions from energy production, cement making and other industrial uses were 4 percent higher than the year before."

This paragraph highlights the dog and pony show you want to promote. China is just one player in this charade.

"China’s leader, Xi Jinping, has vowed to make China a climate leader and to make the country carbon-neutral by 2060. But the country still draws nearly 70 percent of its power from fossil fuels, predominantly coal, and those energy sources have helped propel China’s impressive recovery from the pandemic. By May of this year, China’s carbon dioxide emissions from energy production, cement making and other industrial uses were 4 percent higher than the year before."
Try to keep up with me, I will go slow. I want to promote keeping lands in their natural state while allowing owners a financial incentive to do so in order to expand opportunities to hunt, fish, and just enjoy nature. It really isn’t about carbon other than society placing a value on limiting it (this is the part you are struggling with, but I admit it is complex). It certainly has nothing to do with China.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back