Proposed Bill: Make Moose, Sheep, Goat OIL in MT

406LIFE

Link to bill: here.

It would also add grizzly to this list.

I am very much in favor of this and hope it passes.

What’s a ram “mountain sheep”. I guess big horn sheep would not be included as once in a lifetime.

Anyway ... I would be opposed to this bill, as well.

When I sat on our preference/bonus point committee in 1999, I tossed this out as an idea. Thought I was going to an ass whoopin' during coffee break by guys who were counting on a second/third ram tag.

Statistically, it makes almost no difference, either way. For some who have never drawn, when they hear someone drew a second/third tag for sheep/moose/goat, it makes a big difference and I suspect that is what is driving this proposal.

Not a bill I will waste time worrying about or invest any energy in, as it makes such a small difference. But if a poll were posted, I would prefer this change to our current system.

I support OIL status for any tag that is likely to not be drawn in 20 years of trying. Are the number of applicants for a tag 20x the allocation of tags? That hunt then becomes OIL.You can only draw that tag once whether fill tag or not. If the species as a whole is 20x then the entire species becomes OIL whether fill tag or not. None of us are so important we should block someone from opportunities we had just because we can. We should be better than that as a community. Not maximizing how many animals we kill is the spirit that has us do the ethical thing even if are the only one on the mountain.

If it statistically makes no difference either way, then it amounts to passing a law because some people are jealous.

I agree. There are better ways to improve draw odds. Making licences OIL could have unintended consequences.

Will hunters that draw there OIL licence continue to champion that species with the same enthusiasm if there is zero chance of getting anther licence? Moose. Sheep and Goats need all the advocates they can get.

Do I read it correctly that if it went OIL for MSGG, that a person who killed a ram could then hunt the unlimited units? Not thinking I am for this in more ways than one.

Do I read it correctly that if it went OIL for MSGG, that a person who killed a ram could then hunt the unlimited units? Not thinking I am for this in more ways than one.

That could be another unintended consequence. Even if only 10% of the successful sheep applicants start to apply for the unlimiteds the pressure in the unlimiteds would increase by around 66% in ten years if I did the math right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back