Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Proposed 2022 WY Seasons and Regulation Changes

I'm glad you feel comfortable, from where ever you live, on Wyoming killing off buck deer in the name of "science", when there really isn't a clear understanding of what's being dealt with.
If you think I’m not invested as a NR you are sorely mistaken. My point total and what I have to spend to come there to chase deer absolutely makes me interested in the quality of the WY deer herd.

How do you suppose they get a clear understanding? Status quo? Or try something that had some success elsewhere? If you can do better what’s your plan?

Or try something that had some success elsewhere?
That's the part I'm really struggling to see in the WY CWD plan as it relates to this paper out of CO. The study is not prescriptive, it's descriptive. They didn't try something to see if it worked, they described something to see what patterns emerged. Those are WAY different.

I'm not totally opposed to prescribing something and seeing if it works. If we're going to do science, let's do science. Create hypotheses, control some variables, and proceed.

I haven't been keeping up to speed on recent CWD literature and honestly thought there must be some novel research that came out. I didn't realized people were still largely hanging their hat on this CO document. I am wide open to new information and I may be ignorant on the latest.

I agree there is a tough balance sometimes on what is "enough" evidence that it's time to act, or how to act. I've seen white papers, biological opinions and peer reviewed work get fashioned into a club too many times to hang policy on one paper, unless it's in agreement with the preponderance of previous work -- and even then caution is fair. My understanding is that reduction programs have a shaky history at best.

Edit: "though" to "then"

Last edited by a moderator:
Unit 128 has twice as many tags per unit of the 4 new Sheep Mountain seasons. I guess we have a different view on what conservative means.

If they really wanted to just knock the buck numbers down they would of left it general and just changed the season dates. Instead they added a LQ season with 25 tags to 4 units. To me it sounds like peer reviewed conservative controls in place to get to the goals the folks managing the herd think it needs.
Here is the wording directly from their plan.

Experimental hunter harvest strategies that focus on significant reductions in male deer and/or overall densities will only be implemented in areas where broad and diverse public support exists...

The 128 hunt is not meant to significantly reduce either male deer or overall densities. It is intended to allow for a sustainable harvest of surplus bucks. If I am not mistaken they would even like it if that herd grew.

We may very well have different definitions of conservative but mine is the same as what WFG's is. These hunts are not meant to be conservative but rather significant.

My understanding is that reduction programs have a shaky history at best.

I agree with this.

Time and again across the country, CWD eradication efforts seem to come to the same unsuccessful conclusion and the states just wind up living with it. It would be nice to see WY avoid that messy middle part.

Don't you think knowing how many deer have the disease is a critical part of meaningful research?
Absolutely, here we went down this road. Shooters from wildlife services go out every night and kill deer to get the lymph nodes. 20-30 some nights in several areas across the state. The research has shown certain demographic in the herd are the most prevalent. That same information is what is showing up in other research. Research that was used to drive why they are wanting to kill bucks.

If you would rather repeat that research and have your deer killed by sharp shooting and disposed of in a dumpster by all means go ahead.

To have hunters harvest them and have them tested is way more ethical to me. At least hunters will eat the deer after a negative test comes back. The sharp shooting can’t wait on that info due to the sheer volume they have to harvest to keep it in check.

this is why i was so shook up by that paper leading game managers to decide that further "pressure" to "mitigate" cwd is indeed the right course of action.

@Oak can correct me or hopefully clarify, but the thing is, to my limited knowledge this has been tried.

the poudre deer herd for example in northern co. they decided to start pounding the piss out of that herd, like, what? 20 years ago? in the name of CWD.

pretty sure there is still a plenty of cwd in that herd. and i'm pretty sure that herd will never look like it used to due to the management decisions more than what CWD might have done in that time frame. this is what we should be further studied though, instead of trying to continue the same thing. let's work on answering the question of how well did that piss pounding work. i'm guessing it's a complicated mixed bag answer that my gut sometimes says: maybe we did more harm than good.

also pretty sure other deer herds in the state went down this path too. still plenty of CWD.

Last edited:
Absolutely, here we went down this road. Shooters from wildlife services go out every night and kill deer to get the lymph nodes. 20-30 some nights in several areas across the state. The research has shown certain demographic in the herd are the most prevalent. That same information is what is showing up in other research. Research that was used to drive why they are wanting to kill bucks.

If you would rather repeat that research and have your deer killed by sharp shooting and disposed of in a dumpster by all means go ahead.

To have hunters harvest them and have them tested is way more ethical to me. At least hunters will eat the deer after a negative test comes back. The sharp shooting can’t wait on that info due to the sheer volume they have to harvest to keep it in check.
Over a three year period, 800 deer are being harvested in these five areas, and they tested 170? Who needs sharpshooters? You just can't grasp the idea that what G&F is proposing by Laramie is just their attempt, and let me use their words, "to do something".

Unit 128 has twice as many tags per unit of the 4 new Sheep Mountain seasons. I guess we have a different view on what conservative means.

If they really wanted to just knock the buck numbers down they would of left it general and just changed the season dates. Instead they added a LQ season with 25 tags to 4 units. To me it sounds like peer reviewed conservative controls in place to get to the goals the folks managing the herd think it needs.

Actually, I have taken the time to talk with them and feel comfortable in my understanding of it. If you feel you could do better feel free to publish a paper with your research and plan.
No, just in area 60 there are now 100 licenses on type 1 deer which the season is now extended all the way to Nov. 30th covering the complete rut whereas area 128 a huge wintering area only has 50 licenses and the season ends Nov. 20th and has ended on Nov. 15th in some years. Add up the 25 licenses X 4 areas in the Sheep mountain 74,75,76,77 is 100 licenses and you have quite a large impact for this proposal. The biologist also stated they will likely double those numbers and add the West side of the Snowies and Sierra Madre in the next few years and you have real potential for serious harm to those herds just to attempt a kangaroo court kids experiment, not known proven Science as Colorado prevalence is still as widespread as the prions remain in the soil. Besides, some of these bucks have a genetic immunity and if you clobber that gene by hammering the very bucks you want to have around to pass along those alleles you’re really doing long term damage.

Over a three year period, 800 deer are being harvested in these five areas, and they tested 170? Who needs sharpshooters? You just can't grasp the idea that what G&F is proposing by Laramie is just their attempt, and let me use their words, "to do something".
Something is better than nothing which is what has been happening? You have a case for mandatory testing, which I would gladly support. However, my bet is that percentage of infection on those 170 is accurately spread across the demographics.
this is why i was so shook up by that paper leading game managers to decide that further "pressure" to "mitigate" cwd is indeed the right course of action.

@Oak can correct me or hopefully clarify, but the thing is, to my limited knowledge this has been tried.

the poudre deer herd for example in northern co. they decided to start pounding the piss out of that herd, like, what? 20 years ago? in the name of CWD.

pretty sure there is still a plenty of cwd in that herd. and i'm pretty sure that herd will never look like it used to due to the management decisions more than what CWD might have done in that time frame. this is what we should be further studied though, instead of trying to continue the same thing. let's work on answering the question of how well did that piss pounding work. i'm guessing it's a complicated mixed bag answer that my gut sometimes says: maybe we did more harm than good.

also pretty sure other deer herds in the state went down this path too. still plenty of CWD.
This is a good point and agree needs to be answered. Until there is a acceptable / repeatable answer, I fear the pounding is the best they have.

I will leave this conversation with these Bios are trying to do the best they can. They didn’t decide to become Biologists to be constantly ran in the ground. It’s a crap sandwich that no one is happy with. They need our support more than they need our internet criticism.

Here's some info about the Red Feather herd CWD incidence rate. That graph is not compelling to me, to be honest.

Below is the graph for the Red Feather deer herd CWD prevalence. The document states:

"Prevalence in the Red Feather/Poudre Canyon
deer herd (D-04) has declined in the decade since CPW
applied focal culling and increased harvest in the early
2000s."

I may be reading the graph wrong, but here's my interpretation.

They were pounding the piss out of bucks and harvesting few does before discovering CWD. Once discovered, they greatly reduced buck harvest and increased doe harvest, because hey, disease transmission is often density dependent, and wildlife managers know that to reduce a population (density), you harvest females. So they increase doe harvest for 5 years or so and then reduce it again, all the while keeping buck harvest much lower than it had been prior to CWD. The prevalence of CWD stayed fairly constant, until it nosedives at a point when doe harvest has pretty much been reduced to pre-CWD levels. It's not clear from the limited data here if this drop in prevalence can be explained by something like a small sample size. It would be interesting to know when they stopped mandatory testing in this herd.

Happy to hear other interpretations if I'm off base.

D4 CWD.jpg

Something is better than nothing which is what has been happening? You have a case for mandatory testing, which I would gladly support. However, my bet is that percentage of infection on those 170 is accurately spread across the demographics.

This is a good point and agree needs to be answered. Until there is a acceptable / repeatable answer, I fear the pounding is the best they have.

I will leave this conversation with these Bios are trying to do the best they can. They didn’t decide to become Biologists to be constantly ran in the ground. It’s a crap sandwich that no one is happy with. They need our support more than they need our internet criticism.
Not sure I agree that hunter killed animals and road kill are good enough to say you have a random sample across the herd.

Animals not behaving naturally are much more susceptible to hunter harvest and becoming road pizza.

Not sure I agree that hunter killed animals and road kill are good enough to say you have a random sample across the herd.

Animals not behaving naturally are much more susceptible to hunter harvest and becoming road pizza.
Agreed, but the crux of these seasons that are causing a issue are going to be doing normal deer activity. Just the target population they want is focusing on tail and not survival.

MI has shooters out at night taking monitoring samples year round. WY doesn’t have the density to support that. Hunter harvest along with mandatory checks is probably their best bet if they want a accurate sample.

Below is the graph for the Red Feather deer herd CWD prevalence. The document states:

"Prevalence in the Red Feather/Poudre Canyon
deer herd (D-04) has declined in the decade since CPW
applied focal culling and increased harvest in the early
2000s."

I may be reading the graph wrong, but here's my interpretation.

They were pounding the piss out of bucks and harvesting few does before discovering CWD. Once discovered, they greatly reduced buck harvest and increased doe harvest, because hey, disease transmission is often density dependent, and wildlife managers know that to reduce a population (density), you harvest females. So they increase doe harvest for 5 years or so and then reduce it again, all the while keeping buck harvest much lower than it had been prior to CWD. The prevalence of CWD stayed fairly constant, until it nosedives at a point when doe harvest has pretty much been reduced to pre-CWD levels. It's not clear from the limited data here if this drop in prevalence can be explained by something like a small sample size. It would be interesting to know when they stopped mandatory testing in this herd.

Happy to hear other interpretations if I'm off base.

View attachment 217507
It would be interesting to see the herd density trend over that same period of time - i.e. animals per unit of area. Maybe that information is out there elsewhere? If that 20% doe harvest ~2003 plus "focal culling" plus some hard winters resulted in dramatically lower deer density it might be logical that there was less spread via animal to animal contact. So if the population was at a twenty plus year low in 2010 to 2013 there could be correlation between higher harvest numbers and that drop in prevalence. But if that is the case and the herd density hasn't significantly rebounded, why the rising prevalence over the past several years?

If the herd density didn't change dramatically I'm not sure how any valuable conclusion can be drawn from that graph/data set. Unless we're gonna argue that the positive effect appears 8-10 years after an increased doe harvest. :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see the herd density trend over that same period of time - i.e. animals per unit of area. Maybe that information is out there elsewhere? If that 20% doe harvest ~2003 plus "focal culling" plus some hard winters resulted in dramatically lower deer density it might be logical that there was less spread via animal to animal contact. So if the population was at a twenty plus year low in 2010 to 2013 there could be correlation between higher harvest numbers and that drop in prevalence. But if that is the case and the herd density hasn't significantly rebounded, why the rising prevalence over the past several years?

If the herd density didn't change dramatically I'm not sure how any valuable conclusion can be drawn from that graph/data set. Unless we're gonna argue that the positive effect appears 8-10 years after an increased doe harvest. :rolleyes:
I don't have time to dig into it, but here's the herd management plan.

from the herd management plan

1648750931869.png

honestly, i feel like we need better sampling.

i'd like to hear the biologist and statisticians opinions...

so in 2002 there were over 2000 animals harvested from what i can tell, roughly, from looking at the graph. that's a 7% sampling rate. is that enough to statistically extrapolate across an entire herd and say with confidence what the prevalence is?

i'm sure they put error bars on that, what did the error bars look like?

2016 also looked like maybe about a 7-8% sampling rate. so 7-8% sampling rate of the harvest translates to like, a 0.7% sampling of the entire herd... roughly. is that enough to extrapolate prevalance?

these days they rotate around the units that are mandatory testing. seems logical that units that are being managed for CWD by certain harvest targets, like increased doe harvest, should be mandatory, every year, and for years after to actually figure out wtf is going on.

looks like 2017 was a mandatory year i'd think....

You should probably be careful, or you will be perceived as an advocate for doing science so we can have science-based management. ;) I think your questions illustrate that correlation is hard enough to ascertain, let along causation. Each question that we answer leads to four new questions. That's why science is fun and frustrating. It's also the catch-22 that managers face because they have to make management decisions while the science is still being done (or hasn't been funded yet).

I'm not sure that it matters though, if hunters value forum-based management over science-based management.

QQ

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back