Proposal to eliminate non-resident sheep tags in New Mexico

I understand the whole argument about how the state’s wildlife is held in trust for the benefit of the residents of that particular state. Nonresidents should be thankful for whatever opportunity we are afforded. I get that argument. But if we follow that reasoning to its logical conclusion then we (or the generations that follow) will all be hunting only our home states eventually. Is that really what the hunting/conservation community wants? Is that good?

I dunno. I get that other people’s stuff isn’t mine. But also… Mom taught me to share. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The whole this-is-ours-get-out-of-here thing goes to some dark, dank places pretty quickly in my view. I wish WSF some success in their messaging.

Last edited:
Some weird and unfortunate legislative BS going on in NM lately. Its like they saw Montana's recent shenanigans and said "hold my beer!"

As WSF points out, there have been a whole lot of nonresident conservation dollars spent in NM to bolster bighorn populations. And now they want to eliminate nonresident hunting opportunities. Taking away the 7 nonresident tags won't even increase the resident draw odds by 0.05%. Stupid reason to jeopardize funding provided by the loyal contributors to bighorn conservation in NM.

But you know what would improve draw odds for everyone? Take a couple units and make them unlimited/OTC that close on a quota like the ones in Montana. And now draw odds are 100%. Problem solved.

Last edited:
We will all be headed there soon. Reaping the benefits of exploiting western hunting.

Rough pencil math assuming outfitter application submissions are solely NR, NM residents could completely negate NR application fees + tag revenue with an increase of R app fees by ~$14.

Won't help the odds with 7700+ R applying but will make people feel warm and fuzzy.

However I doubt any non profits will want to start throwing money at sheep restoration without NR opportunities, guess we will find out.

I understand the whole argument about how the state’s wildlife is held in trust for the benefit of the residents of that particular state. Nonresidents should be thankful for whatever opportunity we are afforded. I get that argument. But if we follow that reasoning to its logical conclusion then we (or the generations that follow) will all be hunting only our home states eventually. Is that really what the hunting/conservation community wants? Is that good?

I dunno. I get that other people’s stuff isn’t mine. But also… Mom taught me to share. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The whole this-is-ours-get-out-of-here thing goes to some dark, dank places pretty quickly in my view. I wish WSF some success in their messaging.
MT
WY
CO
AK
Now NM it certainly seems to be headed that direction. Honestly I don’t really care what folks like Buzz say, if 4000 residents are applying for 10 tags or 14 tags it doesn’t matter most people won’t draw ever, and they will always be motivated to improve their odds before they die… bonus points/preference points/allocations/guide rules it’s all the same thing change the rules so I can get mine.

First off new Mexico can do what it wants and with 50 total tags I don't blame them for wanting them all going to residents.

Most likely their residents are the people volunteering their time to install guzzlers, etc to improve sheep numbers there. The only significant money provided by NR is some fat wallet guy buying a governor's tag. A grand or three an average nr spends is insignificant money in the sheep management world.

Finally, yes I think it would be more beneficial for resident hunters to spend their time, money and effort improving hunting in the states they reside in.

This apply all over hells half acre is a recent trend. Many of the people I grew up hunting with never hunted anywhere as nrs. Those that did so maybe hunted a neighboring state they shared a border with.

Getting back to the basics of taking care of your resident opportunities, wildlife, access, is a good thing.

Worrying about being a nr in other states is exhausting...

NMWF has grown it's resident agenda of hating all NR and backing the outfitter welfare clan to a new level.
And all landowners are bad.
Some residents have bought it.
They'll keep applying for what should be OIL hunts for elk and go for rare limited critters there is a handful of tags for. And expect to draw said tags.
And blame all the NR's when they get a big red.

First off new Mexico can do what it wants and with 50 total tags I don't blame them for wanting them all going to residents.

Most likely their residents are the people volunteering their time to install guzzlers, etc to improve sheep numbers there. The only significant money provided by NR is some fat wallet guy buying a governor's tag. A grand or three an average nr spends is insignificant money in the sheep management world.

Finally, yes I think it would be more beneficial for resident hunters to spend their time, money and effort improving hunting in the states they reside in.

This apply all over hells half acre is a recent trend. Many of the people I grew up hunting with never hunted anywhere as nrs. Those that did so maybe hunted a neighboring state they shared a border with.

Getting back to the basics of taking care of your resident opportunities, wildlife, access, is a good thing.

Worrying about being a nr in other states is exhausting...
100% agree with everything you said here, but I think a minority of resident hunters will do the work and the majority will just complain and ask for changes allocation and point system changes.

Folks it is clear that wildlife is the sole property of residents and non-residents should forget that non-resident opportunities exist (despite the hundreds of YouTube vids on western multi state draw strategies). Non-resident hunters provide a completely insignificant contribution to wildlife conservation, so stop even trying, you have done nothing to improve or contribute to maintaining or improving our herds. B&C and WSF need to butt out of NM state affairs, with all your fancy non-resident support.

Did I capture the general consensus pretty well? Sad state of affairs that some resident hunters have become so adamant about increasing their piece of the pie, to the point where no one else even has an opportunity.

And if the resident hunters were so concerned about improving their odds .005% then why don’t they just do away with the outfitter draw? I assume most of those tags go to NR anyways?

Last edited:
I feel like before bitching about another states NR policies, one should have to post what state they are a R in.

Its irritating, in the least to listen to non public land states even speak, let alone complain.

Here's a novel idea. GROW YOUR OWN DAMN SHEEP. Stop expecting a small handful of states to do it.

It pains me greatly to agree with Buzz, but the explosion of NR hunting, hasn't exactly lead to an explosion of herd numbers.

I read about the NR "supporting" "conservation". Yet, what's the end result? Dudes from Michigan squealing about Wyoming 90/10. Or (insert state here) demanding access to NM sheep.

Somehow it's become a "thing" that ID,UT,WY,MONT,AZ,NM,NV, and Alaska, OWE 42 other states the privledge public land AND animals to hunt/fish.

If your state doesn't offer sheep hunting, then remain silent, on what states that do, make as regs.

Or. There's plenty of high fence outfits where your "conservation" money can be spent, and they might even appreciate your Google rating.

The ONLY words any NR should ever speak, is "thank you for that opportunity". Your a guest. Act like it.

DONT MAKE ME AGREE WITH BUZZ, EVER AGAIN!!

Biggest problem I have with the no non residents thinking is New Mexico's Rocky population started with Canadian sheep. What state provided the Desert shee? I am not sure. Arizona?

Last edited:
Folks it is clear that wildlife is the sole property of residents and non-residents should forget that non-resident opportunities exist (despite the hundreds of YouTube vids on western multi state draw strategies). Non-resident hunters provide a completely insignificant contribution to wildlife conservation, so stop even trying, you have done nothing to improve or contribute to maintaining or improving our herds. B&C and WSF need to butt out of NM state affairs, with all your fancy non-resident support.

Did I capture the general consensus pretty well? Sad state of affairs that some resident hunters have become so adamant about increasing their piece of the pie, to the point where no one else even has an opportunity.
Really?

What are nr sheep tags in new Mexico, 3k?

Total of 7, a whopping $21k...won't even pay for half a new truck to haul materials to a guzzler.

The new Mexico residents would be wayyy better off selling one tag via auction or raffle and give 6 more tags to residents.

Raffle would be the best bet, everyone can play and no nr whining they don't have a chance.

Every time I read one of these threads I come to the same sad conclusion:

The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation is on life support.
Not having nr access to another states 50 sheep tags is not putting the NAM on life support....if only obviously.

You want to see what is, attend the sheep show in Reno.

With that logic the 43 Resident tags do less than right? 43 x $160= $6880.
Right, but they live there and contribute time, attend meetings, etc.

They don't swirl in with $3k, once in their life, and pretend they saved wild sheep and did new Mexico residents a favor.

I have to agree with Hossblur above.

In addition, I have stated before that every hunter in the nation has the option to move to states that give them more resident hunting opportunity. I moved from ND to AK and then to CO for more and better hunting opportunities. I know MANY other hunters who have done the same.

Before someone responds “I have a family, a job, etc., etc. where I live now that makes it hard to move” or “I would have to take a pay cut for my job to move”, I get it and many others have factored in the same issues to their decisions. If public land hunting opportunities are important to a person, they will find a way to make it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back