Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Propane Question, any plumbers?

jryoung

Hi, I'm building an outdoor kitchen and I have a grill that is rated at 121,500btus and a dual side burner rated at 17,000 each, or 34,000 total.

I would like to plumb this into my propane tank that supplies my house and would need to run a pipe approximately 150 feet (generous estimate) to get to the grill/burners. My question to those who know, is there an equation or formula for determining what size of pipe I would need to supply?

Based on a previous conversation a couple of years ago when the house was being built, I would need a 2" supply line and then at the point of connection I could drop to a 3/4' flexible tube (or even run the 3/4 for up to the last 10 feet).

I like math, if there is a formula out there that could help me determine what I need that would be awesome. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

J.R.

This might help. Looks like 1" pipe is what you need.

Attachments

• gas.jpg
    gas.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 247
His salad bowl.
His food plot.

Is that what green looks like?
Looks like some oak for a good bbq fire...just sayin'.

You'll need to run all 1" at least & step down from there. Step down to existing house 3/4-1".

Hi, I'm building an outdoor kitchen and I have a grill that is rated at 121,500btus and a dual side burner rated at 17,000 each, or 34,000 total.

I would like to plumb this into my propane tank that supplies my house and would need to run a pipe approximately 150 feet (generous estimate) to get to the grill/burners. My question to those who know, is there an equation or formula for determining what size of pipe I would need to supply?

Based on a previous conversation a couple of years ago when the house was being built, I would need a 2" supply line and then at the point of connection I could drop to a 3/4' flexible tube (or even run the 3/4 for up to the last 10 feet).

I like math, if there is a formula out there that could help me determine what I need that would be awesome. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

J.R.

Hi JR

Longtime plumber here. For LP gas you would need a 3/4" line from the tank to your kitchen.

Total btu's / 2500 (for lp gas, 1100 for nat gas) = cu ft per hour

Roughly 62 for your kitchen. Then you go to the chart and at 150 feet 3/4" will give run the kitchen with plenty to spare.

Any questions let me know.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back