MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Proof positive of STUPID people with money......

Now you guys are making me think about buying a Lodge cast iron skillet for $30 on Amazon. Never cooked on cast iron before but we have been doing a lot of sous vide lately and sometimes I think the sear would be better with a cast iron skillet than I'm getting on the grill. And sometimes when the wind is blowing and it is nasty outside searing things on the grill isn't as enjoyable as it would be to do it on the stove. I have one in my cart...

Now you guys are making me think about buying a Lodge cast iron skillet for $30 on Amazon. Never cooked on cast iron before but we have been doing a lot of sous vide lately and sometimes I think the sear would be better with a cast iron skillet than I'm getting on the grill. And sometimes when the wind is blowing and it is nasty outside searing things on the grill isn't as enjoyable as it would be to do it on the stove. I have one in my cart...
I bought a griddle to get a sear on stuff from the smoker, now we’re also hooked on smash burgers! Lol

I still prefer non stick for day to day but cast iron has some uses!

Last edited:
Save $55 on the exact same pan if you don’t need the word “Yeti” on it. But no $1 scraper or $7 chain mail.

You'll either love it or hate it. Lodge cast iron isn't for everyone...me personally, I have enjoyed using all my Lodge cookware

While I agree these are kind of ridiculous on their face. I also acknowledge my own hypocrisy, in that I have a safe full of expensive hunting rifles all purchased after my Tikka T3 SS 7mm Rem Mag in 2004, none of which really do anything statistically better than the Tikka. All making me less inclined to cast stones at those who are dropping the $$$ on something less than practical....:LOL:

While I agree these are kind of ridiculous on their face. I also acknowledge my own hypocrisy, in that I have a safe full of expensive hunting rifles all purchased after my Tikka T3 SS 7mm Rem Mag in 2004, none of which really do anything statistically better than the Tikka. All making me less inclined to cast stones at those who are dropping the $$$ on something less than practical....:LOL:
Screenshot_20230614_104016.jpg

there is no better way to sear a steak. you just need a solid hood fan over your stove, like, a really solid one. i use cast irons outside on my grills to sear steaks for this reason. less mess all around and smoke is no issue.

another quote from Alton Brown on Lodge cast iron:

When I asked him what meal really illustrates the skillet’s (cast iron pan's) potential, he rolled his eyes.

“I hate to do that! You journalists always want that ‘one thing’ but the whole point of the ‘one pan’ is there isn’t a one pan.”

He paused a second.

“But fine, I can’t think of a vessel that makes a better steak. I would rather have a properly skillet roasted steak than a grilled one any day.”

there is no better way to sear a steak. you just need a solid hood fan over your stove, like, a really solid one. i use cast irons outside on my grills to sear steaks for this reason. less mess all around and less smoke.

another quote from Alton Brown on Lodge cast iron:

" I can’t think of a vessel that makes a better steak. I would rather have a properly skillet roasted steak than a grilled one any day.”

That may be an issue for me. We have a ventless hood. It works okay but not great. No real way to vent it where the stove is physically located in our house.

That may be an issue for me. We have a ventless hood. It works okay but not great. No real way to vent it where the stove is physically located in our house.

yeah, and unfortunately doing it properly means lots of smoke. which is why i put the cast irons outside on the grill anyway.

i keep meaning to buy one of these actually for the gas grill to just lay on the grates for smash burgers and reverse seared steaks:

Did you just use a flap disc?

I did, stepped down in grits just like sharpening a blade. I didn't take it to a level quite as smooth as the very old Griswold I also use, but it works much better than it did before. Also, wear a respirator, that seasoned surface came off in a nasty black dust.

yeah, and unfortunately doing it properly means lots of smoke. which is why i put the cast irons outside on the grill anyway.

i keep meaning to buy one of these actually for the gas grill to just lay on the grates for smash burgers and reverse seared steaks:

I had to look up smash burgers. Interesting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back