Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Proof positive of STUPID people with money......

how do you re-season a pan?

My process is heat it to 450 in the oven, take it out (with an oven mitt!!!!)and wipe with a thin film of coconut oil (i've also used grapeseed and flaxseed oil), back in the oven for 30 minutes, re-oil, back in the oven for 30, re-oil, then back in the oven and shut the oven off to cool. You can repeat as much as you want, you'll see the bare metal start to darken after a few rounds, which means the hydrocarbons are burning off and the polymer film is forming. I'll often do one round of oil after I've cleaned the pan.

My process is heat it to 450 in the oven, take it out (with an oven mitt!!!!)and wipe with a thin film of coconut oil (i've also used grapeseed and flaxseed oil), back in the oven for 30 minutes, re-oil, back in the oven for 30, re-oil, then back in the oven and shut the oven off to cool. You can repeat as much as you want, you'll see the bare metal start to darken after a few rounds, which means the hydrocarbons are burning off and the polymer film is forming. I'll often do one round of oil after I've cleaned the pan.
Your process is spot on and eliminates 600 pages of google internet stupidity.
I'm a fan of flaxseed and grapeseed oil. Less is more, wipe on a thin layer and then wipe it back off ( mostly) before you put in the oven for curing.Repeat indefinitely.

I have a stupid question,,,,do you wash the pan after using it or just scrape and wipe? I'm for the scrape and wipe but the boss goes for the full scrub and sanitize.

I use cast iron regularly and hans washing it has no ill effect on mine, an old griswold. Can’t recall last time I seasoned it other than just cooking with it and it is smooth and nonstick as can be.

I do next to nothing to clean the wagners I have, basically just wipe out and occasionally some hot water. The lodge’s I have are rough as can be and often get scraped heavily and some cycles of oil, oven and wiping

I have a stupid question,,,,do you wash the pan after using it or just scrape and wipe? I'm for the scrape and wipe but the boss goes for the full scrub and sanitize.
Scrape and wipe with it still hot. I don't use metal to scrape either, I just have a wooden spatula that I scrape it with. If you clean it while it's still hot, it's amazing how easy it cleans.

I found a knock off yeti cooler in a road ditch. Works great, just a couple scratches for character

In the summer esp on a Sunday evening in the west end of the Columbia River Gorge, boaters head back to portland after a full day of boating.

Some forget to secure their load, and especially if it's windy you might see along side the freeway a good collection of flotation devices, coolers, fuel cans, and other stuff. Just don't pick up the plastic bottles that look like they're full of iced tea though

I'll get this started with some low grade cast iron that works beautifully after a little bit of elbow grease.
Camp Chef Dutch oven, Yellowstone edition.. This is the original Yellowstone cookware from 10+ ? Years ago before Lodge jumped on the gay bandwagon with their Dutton ranch Yellowstone crap. It's one of my favorites to use in camp for slow cooking over a fire while work is getting done. Rib eye beef stew is a tradition.
View attachment 279942View attachment 279943View attachment 279944
View attachment 279953View attachment 279954
That’s pretty damn cool.

I’m always careful calling people with money stupid. They might have made that money being pretty smart. What I think is stupid is people with out much money spending that kind of jack on a cast iron skillet. I dont care how a guy spends his pay check so long as he doesn't owe me money he isnt paying back as agreed. That said
i scratch my head when I see $1000 coolers in $80,000 pickups with $15,000 worth of upgrades sitting in a rental apartment parking lot. Everyone has their priorities I guess.

That skillet is a little ridiculous but there is cast iron in that price range.

Those $40 buckets are badass, especially when you get them for Christmas on someone else’s dime
This , I have a lot of yeti products and dang near everyone came to me as a gift. LOL.

I have Victoria and Lodge. They are both about the same performance wise once they got really seasoned good. The last Lodge I got was a big dutch oven and that thing was as rough as the surface of the moon. Eventually it smoothed up. I mostly use it for frying fish. I like my enamel covered cast iron for about everything else Except cooking steaks.

I have Victoria and Lodge. They are both about the same performance wise once they got really seasoned good. The last Lodge I got was a big dutch oven and that thing was as rough as the surface of the moon. Eventually it smoothed up. I mostly use it for frying fish. I like my enamel covered cast iron for about everything else Except cooking steaks.
My cast iron is Lodge & Camp Chef. I agree w/this.

Lodge seems a bit better in terms of castings, personally. With the fancy-pants cast iron, you're paying for the smooth finish, sure, but you're essentially buying the pan that you should have some sweat equity in making as you wish.

For some, the food is the reason, for others, it's the process.

Haven't tried the enameled cast iron but for acidic food I bet it's the tits.

My cast iron is Lodge & Camp Chef. I agree w/this.

Lodge seems a bit better in terms of castings, personally. With the fancy-pants cast iron, you're paying for the smooth finish, sure, but you're essentially buying the pan that you should have some sweat equity in making as you wish.

For some, the food is the reason, for others, it's the process.

Haven't tried the enameled cast iron but for acidic food I bet it's the tits.
The enameled cast iron dutch ovens work great for Oso Buco and other types of braising with a tomato base.

Back