PEAX Equipment

pronghorn in mt

rug22250

I'm thinking of a pronghorn hunt in montana. I would like to take my wife on her first big game hunt and having never hunted pronghorn myself any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Eastern part of the state region 7 is a pretty easy draw. Had a bad winter in last year so hopefully numbers will rebound in a few years. You would propably be better off to go to Wyoming honestly.

Yea I wonder how well they will make it through this winter. I know that Williston, ND has gotten close to 5 feet of snow this year so im guessing that eastern Montana has gotten quite a bit of snow too. ND closed its pronghorn season in 2010 because the last 2 winters have been so tough. Now granted, ND isnt a great pronghorn state but my guess would be that the pronghorns in eastern Montana will be like last year or maybe worse.

Eastern part of the state region 7 is a pretty easy draw. Had a bad winter in last year so hopefully numbers will rebound in a few years. You would propably be better off to go to Wyoming honestly

I'll second that. If I were drawing as a NR I would definitely choose WY for antelope. I hunted region 7 for the first time in 6 years last fall and was amazed at how few goats we saw. Granted, we were only there a couple of days in a brand new area but it was pretty slim pickings. Not to say there aren't goats there if your set on MT but I think you'll have better quality in WY.

Antelope was the first Western game that the Magicwoman hunted. A leftover Wyoming license, and only "she" had a tag, so it was "her" hunt.

We got there a day early and she tagged out the first morning. What a memorable and fun hunt.

Dont even look at NE Montana....we're having an asskicker winter up here. The antelope are really struggling up here and there's plenty of winter left.

skyhunt007.jpg

I took this from the supercub over a month ago...four or five storms back.

I wouldn't be convinced that the winter resulted in the bad numbers of antelope out this way. It may have helped get them bad, but the blue tongue outbreak about 2 years ago really hurt them. One of the places we hunt went from seeing 60-100 antelope in a day down to 10 this year, even after 6 hours of looking in 90+ heat. Most of the ranchers out this way say the same thing about there being very few antelope around compared to years past. I would have to agree with thinking about WY.

Driving back to Glasgow from Malta this afternoon I saw an antelope dead in the borrow pit...it crossed the highway and just powered out trying to get to the other side and died right there..frozen solid without a mark on it. There are thousands of antelope stacked up along highway 2 for about 150 miles, from Malta to Culbertson. The sagebrush is covered up almost everywhere.

I'll be in the helicopter tomorrow....I'm not optimistic. We've had 60+ inches of snow here so far.

Lopes on the Hi-Line might be in some trouble again this year.

Found a few more morts today.

1.jpg

We don't have Pat's snow, but still plenty to go around.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Got way up north this afternoon. Pretty much void of any critters. Finally saw a set of tracks. Easy to see where the lope ended up.:W:

4.jpg

The rest of the herd left this guy. I doubt he will see tomorrow.

5.jpg

As others have said, may want to look at WY first.;)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back