Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Problems with Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's

Each time, the website reflects that the item is in stock and available to ship and about 12-24hr later, I receive an email saying my order is canceled. They don't delay the order in an effort to restock the item or source it form a 3rd party vendor, they just cancel on you. If you contact customer service via phone they just say, "sorry, we ran out." If you email, you get no response.
Not defending them, but can tell you that they are behind the curve a bit on order management and fulfillment tech vis a vis some of their competitors. When you couple that with supply chain disruptions that are really hitting hard now (Fall/Holiday season products are the most delayed), itā€™s exacerbated.

I generally donā€™t buy the ā€˜Cabelas has gone downhill because of the BPS mergerā€™ as a broad stroke, but in e-commerce terms, it is quite accurate. Both organizations were behind and continue to be. Cabelaā€™s had invested heavily in some very helpful multi-channel inventory management solutions in the late 2000s, but have struggled with integration before and after the merger. BPSā€™ commerce website looked like something hosted by AOL.

Effectively, they were both doubling down on big, flashy brick and mortar when the rest of the retail world was investing in distributed order management (e.g. ā€œyour ammo is available in the Sidney DC, but your shoes are only available in the Minneapolis store, so Iā€™ll split your order and fulfill from both sourcesā€) and micro-fulfillment (Fulfillment in stores, micro-fulfillment centers, etc).

The internet gives me too many options of vendors who can perform basic retail functions like accurately reflecting inventory available for purchase.

There are many options now, but this is a great demonstration of the ā€˜Amazon effectā€™ where the online consumer expects more overall (Fast, free shipping, immediate processing, constant pro-active communications, etc) and you can see how they fell behind quickly.

Remember, just 10 years ago virtually no retailer could tell you inventory in the store network beyond a +/- 10% threshold (which is fine for replenishment orders but abysmal for consumer orders) and many restricted taking a hard order when inventory fell below one outer pack (e.g. a ā€˜caseā€™ of something). Online ordering of the last piece on the shelf is a very new thing.

Disclaimer: I have not worked with or for either organization, but know many who have.

I had the same thing happen. I ordered a box of ammo that was "in stock" but got an email a day or two later saying that it had been cancelled. I understand Covid has been tough on retailers so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Same as some, as a kid I used to go nuts when the new Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Offshore Angler catalog came in, but I'm down on them now. Every time I go to the store and I ask for help or it is offered, it always ends with, "so do you have the Cabela's credit card? Let me get you signed up!" I end up having a 5 minute conversation about how I don't want it, but the sales folks won't let it go. Now I just go to Sportsman's.

I had the same thing happen. I ordered a box of ammo that was "in stock" but got an email a day or two later saying that it had been cancelled. I understand Covid has been tough on retailers so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Same as some, as a kid I used to go nuts when the new Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Offshore Angler catalog came in, but I'm down on them now. Every time I go to the store and I ask for help or it is offered, it always ends with, "so do you have the Cabela's credit card? Let me get you signed up!" I end up having a 5 minute conversation about how I don't want it, but the sales folks won't let it go. Now I just go to Sportsman's.
Itā€™s not just the ordering things that are in stock that turn to not in stock. Itā€™s the loss of the warranty on all Cabelas branded products. Itā€™s the loss of the coupons I used to get in the mail. I used to avoid Sportsmanā€™s because Cabelas was always cheaper. That is also no longer true.

The hamburg Pa store is horrible compared to the first two or three years when they opened. On the positive side they still do have some great gun deals new and pre owned.

I'm not surprised at all that so much stuff is out of stock both online and in the stores. Probably because so many of their products are made in china.

There are several Fleet Farms close to where I live, and I buy ammo, and fishing supplies from them. Their ammo selection isn't bad considering they are not really an outdoor products store.
Same. I hope they open one closer to us soon. Right now the closest one is an hour. I buy most of my ammo there. Good selection and great prices. As stated above not an outdoor products store, but a great store nonetheless imo.

The hamburg Pa store is horrible compared to the first two or three years when they opened. On the positive side they still do have some great gun deals new and pre owned.
You must have better luck than me, every time Iā€™m in the Hamburg store I laugh at how high their prices are on used guns.

Had the same experience. Ordered an item that supposedly was in stock, only to get an email that it was cancelled. No explanation. No apology. Just cancelled. I sent an email to customer service to understand why, and didnā€™t get any response at all. They used to be one of the best, now they are one of the worst.
How about you get off the chair and go to a store? šŸ’„

I think this is a problem with all the major outdoor big box stores. I had this issue with Gander outdoors. Bought a ice fishing pole online that was supposedly in stock with a gift card. A day later I get an email that the pole is out of stock and the gift card with be reimbursed. About a month later, I go into the physical store and use the gift card. It is declined (they never reimbursed the card). Luckily the manager of that store (Wausau) actually hunts and fishes, took my word for it, and accepted the card

I had an issue with Cabelas Canada which is why i'll never shop their again. I ordered a pair of icefishing bibs which was in stock, i put the order in and everything was fine. A week later I get a email saying they were out of stock, so they ordered them through the US store. I then got charged shipping, duties and a additional 25% for the exchange rate. Their Customer Service was no help at all, they even hung up on me twice

It may sound petty, but I have been boycotting Cabela's for a few years now. I had to return an item and discovered they charged me tax on shipping and refused to refund it. Prior to that I had spent a ton of money on their products. It was only $1.26 but really rubbed me the wrong way.

Not defending Cabela's but I'm pretty sure Covid has screwed up ALOT of supply chains. I tried ordering some broadheads from Magnus last week and they are back ordered through mid September.

The last time I went in a Cabela's was middle of last winter looking for some ice fishing gear. Their gear selection was shockingly inept for that time of year. Last time I'll use them.

Cabela's used to be my favorite brick and mortar store for outdoor related shopping until Bass Pro bought them. Lucky for us, Scheels has been moving in on the turf.

Had similar issues this winter with some ice fishing supplies. Multiple items that were in stock ended up being canceled from my order.

How about you get off the chair and go to a store? šŸ’„

Guess I am missing the point or humor of this comment, if there is any. The OP asked about experience with Cabelaā€˜s, specifically mail order. I responded with a similar experience. Is your point that only sedentary people use mail order? Or that bad mail order customer service is really a problem with those of us too lazy to ā€œget out of our chairs.ā€ Seems not to add much of value to the discussion.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back