Problems shipping gun related equipment_WTF?

Rzrbk

So, I went to a local mailing facility (UPS) to mail two returns; one a vortex rifle scope and the other a rifle sling. Attendant first noticed the word "rifle" in rifle scope and said they cannot ship because it's part of a gun. Then, they looked at the other shipping label and saw "gun sling", so they would not ship the gun sling. Then the attendant made a very bad joke saying "I guess people think you're going to come back in and shoot everybody". And he laughed loudly as if he'd just made the funniest joke. That really took me aback and I just said "yea, I guess that's the thinking nowadays". The service person said that none of their customer service store fronts will ship anything that attaches to a firearm, however their main delivery hub will ship gun related merchandise. I took it to the hub and they were ok with it.

Before I left I mentioned that I'm just a hunter feeding my family despite society trying to make me into an outlaw. I think us hunters need to remind people that we're out here and that guns have valid purposes providing food to families. The attendant looked a little sheepish when I said "I'm just trying to feed my family". I suppose I could have bought a lot of food with the $1.5k rifle scope I was returning, but that's beside the point.

My buddy Steve at Hammer had a bad experience with paypal. I won't use them. FedEx usually doesn't hav an issue with firearms related items. mtmuley

YMMV

You do have choices, but to misappropriate Big Fin's quote, they are not always convenient.

UPS Stores are franchises. My store here is run by a couple whom I happened to sit near at this year's RMEF banquet. They are certainly gun friendly. In my business I have encountered UPS Stores in other places which were horrible. I have "fired" all of them, explaining why they will no longer have my business. We keep mailboxes in these stores all over as drop points. If they don't work for us, I will respond to the renewal notices with chapter and verse on why we are not continuing.

Our corporation uses both FedEx and UPS. Both have their issues and their uses. We ship a lot of L-ION batteries, which we get crap for from FedEx, but none from UPS. Some Kinko's/FedEx/Walgreen's storefronts refuse to receive or hold for pickup anything with a battery label on it. It's been a real PITA for us. Especially doing business in Alaska and Hawaii.

I have shipped both primers and ammo through the main UPS Customer Service Depot. The counter folks have always been helpful with the required labels and declarations. The depots all set their own hours, and so they can be hard to get to sometimes. I find the small amount of extra labeling and such makes it best if I let the others in the queue go first so no one is getting testy behind me. Keep in mind that the labeling is required by the Fed's, not the carriers.

When I sent my Ruger Blackhawk back for warranty service, Ruger required FedEx. MRC (Montana Rifle Company) used UPS, so who can say?

Regarding the PayPal problem, I used to shade the lines on "firearms related" and the "Friends and Family" thing. Now I think that when they actually catch someone doing that, they will make an example of them. I'm pretty sure I used PayPal on my last Hammer purchase, but I don't remember.

To nuance what @Dan O wrote - You can be creative, but don't do anything which they could say is fraudulent.

But then I've bought live ammo and primers and had them arrive via the US Mail, a definite no-no. But then I've bought guns on GunBroker that were shipped FFL to FFL via USPS, which is legal.

Same issue last week for me. Tried to send my rifle stock to get dipped. UPS said the same thing. They had no problem sending my benchmade knife which is far more dangerous than a very light composite rifle stock. I tac it up to the social culture we are living in. I just went to the local post office they sent it just fine. Sometimes I wonder if what I think is common sense isn't all that common anymore.

This is weird. There's been a couple of times I've needed to ship guns for warranties or to FFL's or whatnot and there's never been an issue for me with Fed Ex.

I shipped some ammo back to Nosler this week via UPS. Just made sure it had the hazardous materials label on it and dropped it at my neighborhood franchise drop location. Easy peasy, no questions asked.

Couple of years ago, was shipping to a company in Montana for a a muzzle brake, the company recommended ups. Went to the local pack & ship, the lady thought I was a terrorist!!.😎
Just asked them for a box, after she scrutinized me, she sold me one. I went to the post office, sent.

This makes no sense that non regulated items would be refused. Sounds like a staff training issue.

But if you argue the point, YOU become the kook.

Next item I ship I’m putting MYOB in the description

On a much scarier note at the other end of the spectrum, when returning from Africa last week my Canadian carrier just threw my gun case out in the unattended oversize baggage area. I had to keep running back and forth between regular baggage carousel for my checked luggage and oversize drop in another room. I think they legally get away with leaving guns unattended here because someone is supposed to be checking baggage tags at exits ... but they never do, especially if inbound flights are late or piling up. Someone could EASILY just grab a gun and walk out without being checked. I did. Missed my connecting flight because I wouldn't leave until the gun showed up. Took more than hour and a half for the apes to unload it. I heard later they were staging a "slow down" protest over having to wear masks. Idiots! That union boss deserves a blindfold and cigarette. I'm sure he's so stupid he wouldn't know which end to stick in his mouth. The locked ammo box finally arrived last night.

Edit: What pisses me off is the carriers ding me extra $$ to check in guns, supposedly because they require special handling and tracking. Then they just treat my gun like regular checked baggage anyway. WTF? Only South Africa does it right. No one gets out or through that airport without checking guns in with the police. And DO NOT screw up the paperwork or gun will be confiscated ... and disappear forever. Always a down side. When I arrived, some bigshot European hunter leaving the country was arguing with the police because he insisted on putting his ammo in the gun case ... with a fancy rifle and scope the value of a fairly new used pickup. Dumbass! Toss the ammo and shut up. Next time listen to your PH! The cops were obviously doing their best to make sure the loudmouth didn't catch his flight. And make sure I caught mine.

Last edited:
About a week or so ago I went to our local UPS Store to mail out some knife blades to get heat treated. I told they lady there were knife blades in the box and she acted like she couldn't ship them. I changed my description to "metal" and she shipped it out.

On a much scarier note at the other end of the spectrum, when returning from Africa last week my Canadian carrier just threw my gun case out in the unattended oversize baggage area. I had to keep running back and forth between regular baggage carousel for my checked luggage and oversize drop in another room. I think they legally get away with leaving guns unattended here because someone is supposed to be checking baggage tags at exits ... but they never do, especially if inbound flights are late or piling up. Someone could EASILY just grab a gun and walk out without being checked. I did. Missed my connecting flight because I wouldn't leave until the gun showed up. Took more than hour and a half for the apes to unload it. I heard later they were staging a "slow down" protest over having to wear masks. Idiots! That union boss deserves a blindfold and cigarette. I'm sure he's so stupid he wouldn't know which end to stick in his mouth. The locked ammo box finally arrived last night.

Edit: What pisses me off is the carriers ding me extra $$ to check in guns, supposedly because they require special handling and tracking. Then they just treat my gun like regular checked baggage anyway. WTF? Only South Africa does it right. No one gets out or through that airport without checking guns in with the police. And DO NOT screw up the paperwork or gun will be confiscated ... and disappear forever. Always a down side. When I arrived, some bigshot European hunter leaving the country was arguing with the police because he insisted on putting his ammo in the gun case ... with a fancy rifle and scope the value of a fairly new used pickup. Dumbass! Toss the ammo and shut up. Next time listen to your PH! The cops were obviously doing their best to make sure the loudmouth didn't catch his flight. And make sure I caught mine.
Yep, the same thing happened to me on one trip. They sent my cased firearm out with the other bags on the carousel. I was shocked to see my "baby" going around the loop where anyone could have grabbed it and absconded; and I was thinking "and why did they single me out for special attention when I transported a firearm?".

Yep, the same thing happened to me on one trip. They sent my cased firearm out with the other bags on the carousel. I was shocked to see my "baby" going around the loop where anyone could have grabbed it and absconded; and I was thinking "and why did they single me out for special attention when I transported a firearm?".
I think anyone flying with guns would be well advised to purchase a gun case that does not look like it holds a gun. Of course the airline tags gun cases special but if a person doesn't look close, it's easy to not notice the labels. A gun case in the shape of gun/bow is asking for trouble in my opinion.

Back