Yeti GOBOX Collection

Probably hooked....

dcopas78

Well my dad, nephew and I rolled in to southern Arizona yesterday afternoon, got our deer tags to go with our draw javelina tags, and set up camp. We had to get he wall tent set up in the dark, so most of this morning was just organizing camp. We finally got out about 9:30, deciding to hunt quick access spots on the way to town, about an hour away, so we could get ice and some fresh foods. I pulled off and walked a short distance to glass my first spot with dad and Cade, not really expecting much...just enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. Not 5 minutes into Arizona OTC hunting, I spotted a really nice Coues 4x4 across from us, sunning in his bed. He was 190 yards away with no clue we were there. Dad and Cade said "your spot, your stalk" so I checked the wind and headed to the head of the holler to start down above and cross wind of him. I got to about 50 yards of him and felt the wind hit the back of my neck. Not what I wanted to feel. Dad and cade said he just looked in my direction and slowly walked away. I was thrilled that I got that close on my first stalk. I think I could have had a real chance with the dang wind shift.

Anyways, we worked are way to town doing many of these small, barely off the road hunts to town. We started back about 2 PM, swinging by a place I'd heard some javelina are fond off. We checked a few places out, so old sign and parked at a trailhead to work along some valleys. We walked right in to a nice javelina, by himself, at 35 yards. It was dads turn, but unfortunately he spooked before he could get a shot.

We got back on the road with one more place to check before we made it back to camp. We pulled into a pullout, and walked to the top of a ridge. Pigs right in front of us! My nephew shot first, his first western hunt, and drilled his. Another ran up and stopped where he'd hit his and started smelling the arrow! Bad mistake, my arrow found its mark, closing out our first day in Arizona! Oh, and we located some Mearns to boot.

20200101_173322.jpg20200101_175447.jpg

Very cool! Grats on the coues stalk and cracked jav's! Thanks for sharing. Best to your hunt.

Little slower day today, but opportunities nonetheless. We got some sleet/freezing rain last night. This morning we saw several doe coues deer and a small 2x3 on the edge of some private. He was about 100 feet from public at one time but never came on the public side. This evening, dad had another near connection with a javelina. It was close but they got into some thick brush and he couldn't get a shot. Maybe he'll close the deal tomorrow.

Day 3 brought the first rut action we've saw on our trip. I watched a really nice buck this morning chasing does all over a hillside at 250 yards. I attempted to swing in from above and come down hill with the rising thermals in my face and get ahead of him as he played his game with the does. Unfortunately, he was moving them downhill and I just couldn't get ahead of him. Possibly if I could have swung down the backside of the hill but it was very thick brush. He eventually pushed his does into this stuff, I'm assuming this being were they bedded. I feel like I'm learning something new every time I get an opportunity.

My dad spotted a small 2x2 out wondering and my nephew found a group of does without a buck. I think that might change in the next few days with the activity this morning

This evening, my nephew watched the does he'd located earlier hoping a buck would show up. Dad didn't have any luck in the spot he watched.

I had a doe walk past me at 30 yards. I was praying a buck was following but no luck.
I worked my way out the ridge farther the last 30 minutes of light to get a better look at a ridge behind the ridge the rutting buck was on this morning. I spotted 2 more bucks together feeding downhill in about the most open area I have saw a coues in yet. I didn't have the daylight to chase as they were about 600 yards, and two ravines away (thanks dirtclod 😆)

Question for the experienced coues hunters on here. Is it likely that those bucks will be on that hillside again tomorrow? If so, how should I hunt it?
20200103_154200.jpg
This is where the rutting buck was

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys are in a good area,good luck to you all and keep glassing those ravines. 〽💥

Yesterday was an great day of hunting. I had 3 bucks between 72-100 yards. Too far for me but very close to my range. I had the biggest one at 72 in the open, broadside. I just couldn't get closer. He was oblivious to my presence but his does were getting nervous. I would have had to cross about a 8 foot open space to get behind the next clump of brush to get to 60. I just didn't think I could do it with 5 sets of doe eyes on me. I'm proficient with my bow at 60, but don't like to push past that although I've shot at distances farther. Just too many things to go wrong and I didn't want a wounded buck. I also saw a smaller 4x4 and 3x3. The 3x3 actually sparred with the big 4x4 for a little while. Then the big boy had enough and sent him packin.

My nephew has been on deer consistently to but hasn't gotten a real good opportunity. Dad is obsessed with the pigs after nearly filling his tag on a couple occasions.

Today was slower and got pretty hot. Hopeful that the weather cools some. Tomorrow and Tuesday morning will be it.

Weather calls for warming Tue. and Wed. then a cooling trend.Good luck to You all and a safe trip home. 〽💥

Dad got a shot a spike buck this evening but missed. He thinks he hit a branch. But he's happy to have had an opportunity and glad it was a clean miss rather than a bad hit. My nephew nearly stepped on a rattlesnake. Luckily the snake was cold and lethargic or it could have been a serious situation. I just saw a doe this evening. Winds were pretty bad. Hoping for some calming overnight so I can give the area I've been seeing the bucks in one final hunt. Maybe our last day will be as good as our first day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back