Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Prince of Wales Island Black Bear 2010

ERSS

Anyone had a good experience hunting blackies on POWI? I am trying to get set up with Gary at Hollis Bay Cabins, but looks like he may be booked up for late May early June 2010.

Looking for a cabin to rent, would be perfect if it came with a boat, etc. like Garys.

Any ideas or set up that you would recommend?

Hopefully "ElkWhisper" will back to you on this one. He and a couple buddies went up there in spring of 2008. They rented a cabin and a boat and all three took respectable bears. One of the guys smoked a pig that squared over 8'2".

Stayed at The Landing at Otter Cove about 8 years ago, when it was owned by another guy. I wasn't impressed with the old owner, but the current owner might be better. His website certainly looks like he is a bit more knowledgeable than the old guy was.

Took my Dad up there and he killed a nice bear, big ol' punkin head boar off a clear cut off the road system on the west side of the island.

http://www.thelandingatottercove.com/

Anyone ever do the early season blacktails on POW?

It is very high on my list.

Nope, but I did some checking around on it when I was in Ketchikan last year. I think that when I go back for blacktails, I might go to POW instead of Kodiak.

Well, the next time I go for blacktails. I want to go back to Kodiak, too.;)

ERSS- Don't forget to look into the USFS cabins as well. There's quite a few of those in SE AK.

Fin- There's a couple of guys at "the all-day site" that do the alpine early season hunts for sitkas. That is something that I'd definitely consider. The boat based hunt I did was fun, but a backpack hunt for those things above treeline would be a hoot! Especially if they're still in velvet.

This year was a slaughter, due to very favorable alpine hunting conditions. I didn't get in on it, as I was busy fishing during the 2+ weeks of clear weather. Some years are foggy.. The locals call it "fogust"..

One thing that sucks for the non-res is that the locals get to start deer hunting July 23rd under federal subsistence rules. You guys can't start until Aug 15th.. Some big boys killed this year during that "subsistence" hunt, that didn't even have hard horns. A shame...

I learned a lot over on this forum prior to my hunt last spring.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/index.php

I am not sure what I will do in 2010 since my family that I hunted with there has relocated.

DSCF7673.jpg

I'll suggest that you tape your barrel and get some Butler Creek flip-ups. SS/SYN isn't a bad idea for the rain forest either..

Back