Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Primus stove

Devil Diver Down

I'm looking to ditch my bro-in-law's pocketrocket and get a backpacking stove. I have it narrowed down to 2 Primus stoves: The ETA Solo and the ETA Express. Anybody have any experience with either or both?

I like the compact design of the Solo
primus-eta-solo-stove.jpg

and the versatility of the Express (it has a small fry pan as the lid in case I ever kill anything again... or for fish).
Primus_EtaExpress_.jpg

Price difference and weight difference are negligible, to me anyway. Reviews are great for both from what I've read but I haven't been able to find them to see either in person. Wind protection looks like it might be better on the Solo, but looks like it'd be tough to cook a trout up (unless I had the Bass-o-Matic) in that set up for the maybe once a year that might happen.

I don't have any experience with a single canister stove like the Solo--only ever used the MSR PR, so I could be missing some important info.

Last edited:
I have them both. They are amazing. Even convinced the camera guys to start using them. I use the Solo about 90% of the time. Compact, easy to carry, and almost bomb-proof. Have used it at sea level, on uo to 9,000'.

If you are cooking big things, you might go for the Express. I package all my meals into small plastic bags that fit in the solo, so that is not a concern for me.

I have the Solo and it is a very solid and fast water boiler. The compact size is what sold me.

I can't see doing a fresh trout justice cooking them in either of these stoves. Pack in some heavy duty foil, oil and spices....pouch your fish and cook it in a small fire.

I have the solo its a solid stove and performer even at 10'000 feet but with the jetboil sol and sol This out now those would be my choice right now there both lighter than the solo while retaking the same performance

elk_hunter...essentially nothing.

When I was doing research last year I read that Primus originally made the burners for Jetboil. Jetboil decided they could make the burners cheaper elsewhere so Primus came out with their own stove. Not 100% on this but it sounds and looks feasible.

I don’t regret getting the Solo one bit and I believe you can get them a little cheaper than the Jetboils.

Whatever you do don't sell the Pocket Rocket short...it is a solid performer that does it's job very well!
-Dave

That's usually the plan, but I live in AZ... and we're not allowed to have fires for good portions of the summer.

Late last night I found several reports of both stoves igniter busting.

My igniter is still broke the only downside is you can't store it with the fuel canister(solo) and not put the igniter at risk. At least with the jet boil fuel cans that are available near me. I just carry matches and a backup lighter now. You'd have to try other brands to see if its an issue with them though.

I've been crunching the numbers pretty hard on these stoves, and still can't figure out how any of these area really any better than the pocket rocket by any substancial amount.

Talk me into one... It will be for 2 people. As far as I can tell the 'boil' time would be doubled every time we go to use it to make meals for 2.

For you guys that have used them over extened stays, can you give me an idea how much fuel you use in a week and how much you use your stove in that time.

Talk me out of $100...

I doubt you'll find one with a bullet proof igniter. I use a match or lighter and save the igniter for a time when I am in need. I believe both sell an igniter fix it kit.

I sure hope you have matches or a lighter with you anyway!my elk partners primus last year had the igniter break on probably the 3rd use.I still liked it better then my pocket rocket,and picked up the jet boil this year.Got it for $50 from some boyscout that decided to drop out after one use.So far my igniter still works but I'll definitely have matches and a lighter with me anyway
I like how they store within themselves and how quick they boil water.My partner was finishing his coffee before I even got mine done last year

I've been crunching the numbers pretty hard on these stoves, and still can't figure out how any of these area really any better than the pocket rocket by any substancial amount.

Talk me into one... It will be for 2 people. As far as I can tell the 'boil' time would be doubled every time we go to use it to make meals for 2.

For you guys that have used them over extened stays, can you give me an idea how much fuel you use in a week and how much you use your stove in that time.

Talk me out of $100...

AK bear hunt this year. Seven days, three guys. Boiled water for breakfast and dinner, each day, for each of us. Used to of the small cans of fuel.

If you don't find it to work for what you need, I will buy it from you. How is that for talking you into it?

AK bear hunt this year. Seven days, three guys. Boiled water for breakfast and dinner, each day, for each of us. Used to of the small cans of fuel.

If you don't find it to work for what you need, I will buy it from you. How is that for talking you into it?

Thanks... This helps, but I'm still not sure its really going to save much weight if any. The Primus is 12 oz, my PR and pot is 6oz... thats basically a small can of fuel. 7 days for two people burns about 3 small cans with the PR. Total weight savings is about 2oz (small can = 8oz)? I know I'm not comparing apples to apples 2 people vs 3.

Still having a hard time parting with $100 for 2oz. :)

Look at it this way - that's only $50./oz
I have the Express- great stove

Thats more than the Kimber Montana I keep talking myself out of. Its only $32/oz savings over my 700 Mt Rifle.

I'm not sure whats the most expensive part of sheep hunting... the hunt or the gear?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back