Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pretty & Classy rifles. Lets see them!

375 H&H Winchester Model 70 built by Michael Scherz, Gila River Gun Works. Douglas barrel. Quarter rib. Michael's own scope mounts made for Talley QD rings, Walnut with straight grain through the wrist & forearm, Australian Leathewood forend tip. Probably my nicest rifle, and I really don't have a use for it. I just like it. Shoots great!

Regards, Guy

Do you happen to know if Mike is still in the business? (I know this is an older thread, but its one of the newest ones I found.) I knew Mike when he first opened Gila River Gunworks on 5th Ave in Yuma, Az. Before he moved his shop to Idaho. I actually bought five guns from Mike, and my wife bought an import rifle for appreciation value based on his recommendation. Only one of mine is one of his famous (back then) 8mm Mauser rebarrels. Mine was rebarrelled to 30-06. I recently acquired another Mauser 270 Winchester rebarrel (not done by Mike) I wanted to send to him to go through and check out, but I can't find his business listing online any more. Yeah there are other guys who could do it, but I trust Mike and he never talked down to me like a lot of gun shop guys do. I have a couple other projects I'd like to send him if he has the specific tools for it too.

Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Just refinished a stock for the old 338 WM. Slimmed the rifle right down to a svelte 9 pounds, 11 ounces. Stock is an old Remington Model 30 Express (cut for the receiver sight is still crisp & clean). Stripped it down to bare wood, then used the Birchwood Casey Walnut stain diluted 4:1 with several coats, then 5 coats of Tru-Oil, sanded with 800 & 100 grit sandpaper between finishes, and then finished off with a rottenstone polish. Smooth as a yoga practitioner at 9,000 feet's butt.

1631196591561.png

How did this end up on the second page?

Belonged to my late FIL, early 80s vintage. It’s my son’s, a brother to the 6.5x55 featherweight he inherited from my dad. Or rather, claimed as his from the firearms I inherited from my dad. I think until this summer when we took it shooting, it had had 3 rounds down the tube.

4E5058EB-9105-496B-9844-AE74DFF15294.jpeg

My G&H styled 03A3, Lyman alaskan 4x on top.
245017240_10222131734055332_3101575663704864034_n.jpg

My Weatherby Mark V in 300 wby mag. Has a bit of a different color wood than most I see. Doesnt get much use in the jungles of
Alabama but I will probably hang on to it. Not sure why I even bought it. A weak moment at the LGS.

View attachment 149370
I did the exact same thing. I bought one and then pondered what in Georgia this could actually be useful for. Nice gun though.

How did this end up on the second page?

Belonged to my late FIL, early 80s vintage. It’s my son’s, a brother to the 6.5x55 featherweight he inherited from my dad. Or rather, claimed as his from the firearms I inherited from my dad. I think until this summer when we took it shooting, it had had 3 rounds down the tube.

View attachment 197971
Had to add mine up after seeing this one. 410D2B94-2F51-462D-B9E6-48B902E78AA7.jpeg

I've just never been able to get into the maple rifle stock look. Dark wood just seems to fit a fine old rifle. Reminds me of an old man frosting his tips just to try to look cool.

I did the exact same thing. I bought one and then pondered what in Georgia this could actually be useful for. Nice gun though.
It wouldnt have been that bad Willie but I ended up buying a Accumark in 270wby at the same trip to the LGS. It sits in the safe next to the Deluxe keeping each other company while my 270 and 7mm08 go hunting in Alabama. Not hard to separate a fool from his money.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back