Caribou Gear Tarp

Prescribed Burn Arrest

My best friend leases an allotment in northern Idaho. They move quite a few cows around with 1-2 guys and a few dogs.

The timber and understory in Bear Valley is nothing extraordinary.

Is it easier to for him to move his cows around when woofs eat most of them?

True, we don't know exactly how it happened. But we do know someone was arrested. And again, not to diminish private property rights, as things currently stand, I do not see the level of damage warranting an arrest. The actual monetary value of damages seems to be at most 40 acres of grass, fence posts, and time to repair, so maybe $500? In general people don't get arrested for a couple hundred in damages. I see the arrest as sending a message.
So I did the math on a 5 wire fence with 4 inch wooden posts and

Oh. My. God.

A quarter mile of red brand barbed wire is $140

A Google search shows 4 inch posts at SIXTEEN dollars each. I figure surely there's somewhere cheaper so I went with 12

Five rols of wire and supposing you put your posts at 15 foot spacing put a quarter mile of fence at $1,756 without staples or labor, which is just mind boggling to me.

Always making friends buzz...
Well for hells sake, anyone that's lit a match knows things with fire don't go perfect 100% of the time.

I can't tell you how many prescribed fires I've been on that had slop over. Prescription windows are tight and one gust of wind can change things quick.

It also seems solving issues with common sense and at the lowest level is just not happening anymore.

I'm not opposed to getting pissed, but get over it, take off the diaper, pick up your sucker off the dirt, and solve the issue like an adult.

This isn't a complicated problem to solve.

Oh. My. God.

A Google search shows 4 inch posts at SIXTEEN dollars each. I figure surely there's somewhere cheaper so I went with 12

Five rols of wire and supposing you put your posts at 15 foot spacing put a quarter mile of fence at $1,756 without staples or labor, which is just mind boggling to me.
Not even enough money to be a rounding error to solve a simple problem...literally chump change.

Spent that filing paperwork, fuel, and wasting people's time with an arrest thats a huge nothing burger...it won't stick and everyone knows it.

This is an agenda driven joke, everyone knows that too.

Oh. My. God.

You’re never gonna win with these guys.
Throw a couple personal jabs and get ready for the next fight/thread.

Ps

“What do you know about this farming chit?!?!”

Oh. My. God.

1666973578912.png
What you're pricing

1666973758201.png
What's being replaced.

Oh. My. God.

I’m pretty confident I estimated way more than that to put up a privacy fence on my small city lot.

Not even enough money to be a rounding error to solve a simple problem...literally chump change.

Spent that filing paperwork, fuel, and wasting people's time with an arrest thats a huge nothing burger...it won't stick and everyone knows it.

This is an agenda driven joke, everyone knows that too.
You may be right. If you are that's probably more of an indictment on govt spending. All I'm trying to say is that if I'd seen that much damage to my private property, and then saw it again the very next week I'd be furious. The fact that it happened two weeks in a row may just constitute recklessness. If so, maybe it's a good thing he was arrested. If they determine he wasn't being reckless then it'll probably end up in a lawsuit where the rancher will have to pay out of pocket to fix the damaged or destroyed fences until one day the government sends him a reimbursement check for what they think the fence is worth.

Why demand a burn boss be arrested? Why not sit down like an adult and talk about seeding, fertilizer, fencing, weed mitigation and a truckload of hay for his stock (if he has any).

Naaa, let's just start arresting people and being an asshat.
Here I thought you were all about action Buzz!

If they sit down like an adult and "talk", would that still be considered "whining" under Wyoming's Purview?

Here I thought you were all about action Buzz!

If they sit down like an adult and "talk", would that still be considered "whining" under Wyoming's Purview?
You're the expert on whining, I'll defer to you as the expert in that field. I've offered a solution to that Wyoming problem you've drug into an unrelated thread.

Back to this issue, which I could solve in 3.5 minutes.

Is it easier to for him to move his cows around when woofs eat most of them?
He’s pretty proactive and puts bells on all of his cows. They have an occasional wolf depredation, but not nearly what neighboring ranchers do.

You may be right. If you are that's probably more of an indictment on govt spending. All I'm trying to say is that if I'd seen that much damage to my private property, and then saw it again the very next week I'd be furious. The fact that it happened two weeks in a row may just constitute recklessness. If so, maybe it's a good thing he was arrested. If they determine he wasn't being reckless then it'll probably end up in a lawsuit where the rancher will have to pay out of pocket to fix the damaged or destroyed fences until one day the government sends him a reimbursement check for what they think the fence is worth.
This statement is rife with assumptions, but do carry on. DouglasR has a new hero.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back