Preparing for altitude

Stretcher_Jockey

Waiting on the leftover Wyoming antelope draw to see if I get to make my first trek west this year from West TN. Ive been hiking regularly with a heavy pack up and down some decent grades and such for obvious reasons.

I realize northeast Wyoming where I'll be going if I get tags is vastly different country thanthe mostly cornfields, river bottoms and oak forests in used to hunting. I've been hiking as much as possible. Been putting at least an hour in every day, and many days more than that with a heavy pack to try and prepare myself as best I can.

Where I live I'd say the average elevation is only about 400ft or so. Where I'll likely be hunting seems to average about 10x that. I realize 4500 ft isn't anything for the folks that are used to it, but my entire life minus about 3 months total spent on vacations in the Smokey Mountakns has been spent at or around that same elevation.

What are some things I can try to do here at home to prepare myself for the thinner air I'll encounter on my trip?

First of all, good luck on your hunt.

Second, I wouldn't be overly concerned about 4500 feet in elevation. Once you go from 5k to 8k there is a marked jump in difference, and another really marked jump from 8k to 10k. Anything over 10k is a bitch.

I would be careful about doing heavy pack hikes on a regular basis. That's a good way to end up injured.

I really like some form of interval training when I'm heading high up. This can be running hills, doing a body weight workout, mountain biking, or hiking up a steep ass hill. The goal is get your heart rate high, like over 160-170, hold it, then allow a recovery period. Repeat this, adding to the duration of your workout.

Well, you won't notice much. There are different stages of hypoxia (which is what you're referring to), and at that elevation, you will be in the "indifferent stage" it will be the equivalent of smoking a cigarette or having a beer physiologically. No, you wont be drunk, but you will have less oxygen in your blood, and in this case, it will be hypoxic hypoxia (lack of oxygen in the air) that will cause it. Things you can do... you sound as if you are exercising, which is a major factor. Another way that you could fight the effects is to be well hydrated while your body adjusts, and get some good rest. About the only thing that you will notice is a lack of stamina. This should subside after a day or two. Good luck.

From another person that lives at the same altitude as you, i can assure you at that altitude you will be fine.
Keep fit and hydrated.
Cheers
Richard

In my mind, the best preparation for altitude us flatlanders can do is swimming. When you are swimming you are pushing your cardio system while at the same time limiting your oxygen intake. Obviously this won't help your legs for the climbing, but I do think it works well to prepare your body for the thin air.

Good luck,
Ben

I'd go along with not to worry to much about altitude. I was just reading about hiking at altitude and most people say you probably don't have to worry much until you get above 8000 feet. Just be in as great as shape as you can get in and keep hydrated regardless of altitude.

You probably won't have any trouble. Stay hydrated, and if you can arrive early to the area to allow your body to acclimate. A few days early will really help.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back