Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Preferred .300 Mag Elk Loads You Use?

RevJim

I prefer a .270W/130ish mono as "my" minimum on elk, thats just a personal opinion. The "mainstream" 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06 are fine too, thats just me. However, I like the Mediums too ( 338/35 Cals) but "overall" I find I like the 300WM "best" for my elk hunting (or similar sized game). I've loaded the 200NAB in a 300 RUM I gave my Marine SIL ( from his return home from his 2nd Sand Box shootemup) and its a good one. But the 300WM is plenty for me, in a lighter rifle I prefer too. (about 8 pounds). I like premium or monos as I find I can get great penetration with them. I don't shoot past 375 or so at unwounded game, but if I stretch it out there, I want to hurt him, bad.

So, for you guys that use a 300WM ( or other) on elk or elk size game, what load gives you the most "confidence" for the shots you like to take? It seems many elk hunters like the 300s . I've had them braked and unbraked, prefer unbraked. (Huh? I can't hear you) Whats your poison? :)

180GR Nosler Partition. Seldom any shots over 300 yards. Recovered plenty of pretty mushrooms under the back side hide. Had just as many "through and through's".

Majority fall within sight.

For a couple years I carried my .300 With two loads, first round in the box was a 180 gr AB for up close and the next two were 185 gr vlds. The 180’s were about 1” low over the 185’s at 200 but not enough to matter for -300 yard shots. All my drop data/zero was based on the 185’s. Both dropped elk pretty good.. I switched to the .284 platforms as they hit just as hard with less abuse.. that 8lb 300 will knock your teeth out.

I settled on the Nosler 180 grain partition a number of years ago. They are always consistent in my rifles and their performance is always good on game. I figure if it's not broke don't fix it.
Dan

I've killed elk with a variety of rifles and cartridges and even "a sharp stick". In every case the most important element of every kill was the placement of the bullet (or arrow). My best results occurred when I put the bullet or arrow tight behind the shoulder and 1/3 up in the body.

For 20 some years my favorite elk cartridge and bullet was my .30 Gibbs shooting a 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet at 2920 fps.

I shot my last two bulls with my .300 Weatherby, one with a Barnes 168 grain TSX bullet and the other with a 168 gr TTSX bullet. Both were one shot kills and both bulls died within 30 yards from where they were shot.

When I put a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope on my .300 Wby I had the CDS turret made for my 180 grain TTSX load, and that will be the bullet I will use for all of my future hunting with that rifle.

180 grain Nosler Partitions in .300 Win
180 grain Barnes TTSX in .300 wsm, but might be switching to Federal Premium 180gr Accubond, since I found out I can shoot better groups with them.

Hey Quack, I hear you, but I never had a 300WM hurt my teeth, ha. I seem to shoot them just fine. The only rifles that "hurt me" have been (#1) my FIL's Sears Ted Williams Mod 70 knockoff in 30-06, brutal! (2) an 80s Model 70 338WM I worked up loads for a friend for. Horrible. (3) A Weatherby Mark V 416 Wby. and (4) a Mark X Alaskan .458WM. (5) a 20" bbl 416 Taylor...Don't get me started on single shot 12 ga magnums! Wow! ha
I seem to do better with the straighter, Classic style, or even with Remington 700 styles. This Bergara makes my 8th 300 Magnum. I like 'em! But I have discovered 8 pds scoped is my minimum weight too! :)

Hornady ELD X 200gr. is great load if your gun likes it. Shot a partition in a .270 before going to 300WM.

180 gr Partition, Spitzer. MV for me is around 3050. Using IMR4831.

I've switched to Barnes in my .338 - and will for other calibers after I work through my bullet stock (which will take a number of years).

215 gr. Bergers.... my brother in law built me a .300 Win. Mag and its the cats meow.

my .338 Win. Mag is great with 225 ABs
Or 250 gr. Bergers

*i shoot with brakes on all rifles

I finally got in my components I wanted to try. RWS brass, R26, Barnes 175 LRX. I was able to seat these out to a C.O.A.L. of 3.5" and still start out .050 from the lands. I hope they shoot as well ( trying for 74gr or so) as they look! This 175 LRX is an impressive looking bullet at any rate, ha.

180 nosler etip. I tried the accubond long range but couldn't get it to work in my gun.

We used the older Barnes 180 XBT back in '96( I went alone my first trip, but took the components and two rifles to my Afrikaaner buddy , both SS/syn Mod 70s in 300WM/375 H&H he paid for) my main rifle was a 35 WAI/250X) , me and other friends went back in '98 and again in 2002 in South Africa and Namibia. There was a spare rifle in 300WM (an older rifle of mine I traded to my friend, but I loaded for it) but got used alot, just for some longer shots, etc. Some other friends used the 300WM of the Afrikaan Hunter ( same bullet but over a SA Powder) He also used the Barnes 165 XBT. We shot many antelope that were elk sized, from Kudu , Red Hartebeast , Blue Wildebeast to Zebra, lots of smaller stuff in between, and the bigger Gemsbuk of Namibia. It was a sure killer, and from just about any angle on anything less than the zebra. We used the 375 H&H alot, and I alone used a 340W ('98) and the 35 Whelen Ackley (2002) We used R22 behind it in new WW cases. This is why I like the 300WM for "overall" elk hunting, though my 340W and the 35 WAI kept up with it out to 375yds or so. Sometimes we just tried it on different shots. You can do that when 6 of you share expenses and for those prices we negotiated back then. $ 150-175/Springbuk/Impala/Blesbuk; A bit less for warthog; $275 for Namibian Gemsbuk, $500 for Zebra; Kudu; Wildebeast, etc. Our Hunter sold the meat to a butcher and it helped lower our costs. Tons of fun!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back