Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Prayers needed – liver issues/surgery

Hot off the phone-tree…I finally got an update. Surgery #1 is complete. The donor’s liver was healthy, and Jim’s sister is doing fine (although she won’t wake up for another hour or two). Probably won’t know more about Jim for at least a few hours, but at least Phase 1 was a success.

Thanks again for the support!

Great news!! Jim's surgery finished up two hours ahead of schedule and he's doing well and stable. He's been moved to the ICU, but is in such good shape that the docs said he didn't need to really be there, however it was hospital protocol. He's still got a long road to travel, but this is great news.

Thanks again for the prayers and I'll keep you posted if anything noteworthy comes up.

Great news, thanks for keeping us updated. The trend arrow is going up?

...yeah the arrow is definitely trending up at this point!

Even after he’s completely healed, he'll have to undergo some serious lifestyle changes in regards to exposure to dirt, germs, bacteria, and “all things fun.” Adjusting to Dad life as a “bubble boy” will be difficult on his whole family, but they can do it. I’m two hours away, but I told him I’ll drop everything to come gut and drag deer for him if he can stitch himself back together before season starts! Fortunately he’s got a good network of local friends who have pledged the same thing, so we’ll find a way to make the new rules work.

Thanks again for the prayers and support!!

...yeah the arrow is definitely trending up at this point!

Even after he’s completely healed, he'll have to undergo some serious lifestyle changes in regards to exposure to dirt, germs, bacteria, and “all things fun.” Adjusting to Dad life as a “bubble boy” will be difficult on his whole family, but they can do it. I’m two hours away, but I told him I’ll drop everything to come gut and drag deer for him if he can stitch himself back together before season starts! Fortunately he’s got a good network of local friends who have pledged the same thing, so we’ll find a way to make the new rules work.

Thanks again for the prayers and support!!

Glad he is doing well. Give me a call this fall if he needs help, I can head out with you.

Just checking in with some quick updates, as I finally got a phone call last night with some more info. I guess his sister’s liver was “made for this surgery.” The lobe that they removed was considerably bigger than it needed to be and it had doubled up ductwork which made connecting the plumbing to Jim much easier than a “normal” donor liver lobe. One of the surgeons proclaimed that this was by far the easiest transplant surgery of his career (which may help explain why they finished up two hours ahead of schedule).

When he was awake enough for visitors, his mom said that his eyes were white again for the first time in a long time. Both patients are still in quite a bit of pain, but they’re recovering well and under good care.

Thanks again for all the prayers and good wishes. It’s been a long seven-year climb, and it’s hard to believe we’re on the other side of the mountain for a little while. As I mentioned before, this is a treatment for PSC, not a cure, but the future looks great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back