power Inverters

RJH

Hey folks I am looking for an power inverter that I can use in camp and there seems to numerous models, names and prices all over the map. I have look at Yamaha and Honda but they exceed $1,000 plus for a 2000 watt + - there seems to be numerous available at half the price but the reviews seem to be all over the map. Since I struck out at elk and sadly enough so far with deer (have a couple of weeks left) my turkey so far is a bit over $500lb so if I spent another $1,000 on a generator, I will be living in my new tent, with my new range finder spotting scope and fancy new hunting clothes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Go to Costco. Champion Power Equipment makes a 2000W inverter ( http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generators/73536i/ ) for Costco. The only difference is the Costco one is red. I bought 2 of them last year and I think I paid $480 apiece. I bought a harness from Costco to link the two of them together and run my RV trailer with it. I'm sure the Honda EU2000 must be better because it costs 2x as much...but I haven't found any problems with the Champion model yet.

It costs for one that has low DBs. How much *stuff* are you wanting to power? Trailer A/C and the like?
If you want minimal noise then, Yamaha or Honda which have not much more than a loud hum. Others, sound like you are running a lawnmower and will get on your nerves. Took the grand kids camping last summer at a lake and the guy next to us had to have power for his CPaP and all we heard was a faint hum from a 1000W Yamaha.

Cabela's sells the Champion line also. 3500 watts for $399 on sale 3 times a year, if you can stand the noise of a generator over an inverter.

The Champion inverter at Costco puts out just a slight hum...maybe a few dB over the honda, but still very quiet.

As far as the quiet ones go, I have only been around the Honda 2000. It is listed as 53db, the Champion listed above also says 53db. A buddy of mine bought a Yamaha and said it is about the same loudness as a Honda for a little less money.

If the Champion at Costco is only $480, I might have to give one a try, compared to $1,000 for th Honda.

The ones at NT are listed at 58/66 dBi. Assuming low power/full power? Still not too bad for the price difference. Still hard to not go with Honda due to engine life.

I have the Champion 3500w generator from Cabelas and love it. I can barely hear it inside of my trailer when it is running behind my truck. Put quite a few hours on it in Wyoming this year and it never failed. I was able to pick it up on sale at cabelas for under $300 on sale

Surprised that it is listed as 68 dBa. That is a good deal. Forgot to look at the weight though.

On a related note.... Those of you who have generators, do you fire them up at night and let them run until out of gas when you are in a campground? Have had some family reunions where this happened. They don't start running funny until about 3-4am.

With the two Champion inverters that I have linked together to run my RV, I have to leave them running if I want to leave the A/C or heat on at night. They seem to be good for about 8 hours, so as long as I fill them up at night, they are always still going by the time I get up in the morning. They have two settings...sort of an idle that powers up as demand increases, and a full power that stays maxed at all times. With the A/C or heat, they have to run full out all night.

Hey guys thanks for suggestions - saw the Cabelas generator think they are still on sale but really like the small inverters too. Will look at Costco and revisit Cabelas since it around the corner from where I live. Thanks again

Well - looks like I missed both - sale over at Cabelas and Costco do not have them listed. Will have to wait to another sale.

Ron

Hondas are great and are dependable and easy to service if you have a problem, not to mention hold thier value better.

I've been curiouls about the briggs model but never have tried one. Again seems like they would be easy to have serviced or get parts for since there are briggs engine dealers/service centers all over the place. Not sure where you would take some of the other brands to be worked on if you had a problem.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Briggs-&-Stratton-30553-Portable-Generator/p9671.html

So if you hook up this inverter to a spare battery could you run a battery charger off the inverter to keep it charged up? Otherwise why would get the inverter and not a generator?

Not bright enough to explain to Mudranger, so found this-

An inverter generator typically has an engine that can be run at variable speed depending upon the load. The engine is connected to an efficient alternator whose output is converted to DC by a rectifier and smoothed somewhat by capacitors. This raw DC power is then inverted into smooth AC power of the proper frequency and voltage for the output (for example 110-120VAC 60HZ or 220-240VAC 50 or 60 HZ). Regulation is very good and the system will use less fuel if the load is small or variable since the control system will allow the engine to idle down when the load is small or throttle up when the load is large.

A standard "generator" or "genset" is an engine connected to an alternator and run at a speed that is some multiple of the desired AC frequency, regardless of the load on it (as the load increases the throttle opens more to keep the engine speed the same). The output of the alternator is connected directly to the load. Typical speeds are 1800 or 3600 rpm in the USA for 60HZ power when using a 4-pole or 2-pole alternator respectively. The engine speed control can be as simple as the mechanical feedback governor system used for any constant-speed engine.

Cant speak for the other but I owned a honda eu 2000 and ran it hard bowfishing for seveal years.On tornament nights it would run non stop at 1600 watts nd never miss a beat.I also lived off itpowering applianses and tv at my house for a month and a half when I didnt have power due to a flood.Great unit and quiet.I could put it on the back of a 14 ft boat and 2 people could have a convesation in the front of the boat at normal talking levels

Not bright enough to explain to Mudranger, so found this-

An inverter generator typically has an engine that can be run at variable speed depending upon the load. The engine is connected to an efficient alternator whose output is converted to DC by a rectifier and smoothed somewhat by capacitors. This raw DC power is then inverted into smooth AC power of the proper frequency and voltage for the output (for example 110-120VAC 60HZ or 220-240VAC 50 or 60 HZ). Regulation is very good and the system will use less fuel if the load is small or variable since the control system will allow the engine to idle down when the load is small or throttle up when the load is large.

A standard "generator" or "genset" is an engine connected to an alternator and run at a speed that is some multiple of the desired AC frequency, regardless of the load on it (as the load increases the throttle opens more to keep the engine speed the same). The output of the alternator is connected directly to the load. Typical speeds are 1800 or 3600 rpm in the USA for 60HZ power when using a 4-pole or 2-pole alternator respectively. The engine speed control can be as simple as the mechanical feedback governor system used for any constant-speed engine.

You must've stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back