Pot and Guns?

Pot is not legal here. Well, I mean the people voted it in but dear Mrs. Noem did what was best for us and got that thrown out. At any rate, I was trying to find some pipe cleaners for rifle cleaning and I could not locate any in the stores. Now, surprisingly enough, the burgeoning smoke shops had some. I asked the man behind the counter where I could locate the pipe cleaners and he produced a wire bristled brush. No, no, no, the little ones with fuzzy stuff on them. I'm not cleaning a pipe, I need some for my rifle. "Oh, they are over there" he says. Sign of the times I guess.

Off topic, but it's my thread.

How did you do at Pink House Hole?
Slow. Really slow. Had 5 bites, got three to the boat. One absolute slab/classic B run native buck, a native A run hen, and a hatchery A run hen. We sent her back because she came out first drift after lunch.

But it was 20 degrees first thing in the morning, eyelets on our rods were freezing up, wind howling… all the classic suffering of steelhead. Was a great day!

Back on topic . . .

The problem with weed being federally illegal is that even if you do not use weed while operating a firearm, you could be viewed as one who lied on their FFL paperwork which is by itself a felony. So, while this won't come to light of day 99.5% of the time, if you get in legal trouble for a lesser issue and the DA finds out you use weed and have guns they can then charge you with that felony - either to add years to your sentence, to use as leverage to push you to plead guilty on that lesser issue or to get you to relinquish firearms as part of a plea. Fishing for higher charges is common practice for DAs looking to avoid trial.

While I am skeptical that legalizing marijuana will do any social good, I do not like having conflicting/overlapping laws that just set traps for the unwary for DAs to use as they wish.

Back on topic . . .

The problem with weed being federally illegal is that even if you do not use weed while operating a firearm, you could be viewed as one who lied on their FFL paperwork which is by itself a felony. So, while this won't come to light of day 99.5% of the time, if you get in legal trouble for a lesser issue and the DA finds out you use weed and have guns they can then charge you with that felony - either to add years to your sentence, to use as leverage to push you to plead guilty on that lesser issue or to get you to relinquish firearms as part of a plea. Fishing for higher charges is common practice for DAs looking to avoid trial.

While I am skeptical that legalizing marijuana will do any social good, I do not like having conflicting/overlapping laws that just set traps for the unwary for DAs to use as they wish.

I think the bolded part depends on how you consider social good and legalization.

The social good of lower incarceration rates, increased tax revenue and lower costs for Law enforcement agencies. huge curtailment of black market activities (CA is once again an example of how not to do things here) and probably most importantly for the end user - regulation of a product for purity & safety, means a lot of social positives can come from legalization.

The Cole memo of 2013 essentially held the federal gov't's power of enforcement of schedule III offenses of MJ in check, but Sessions eliminated that and brought back the old concept of heavy-handedness on MJ.

A federal legalization law makes a lot of sense for the reasons you line out, and thankfully, John "This ain't a spray tan" Boehner is working on it at the federal level.

Last edited:
I think the bolded part depends on how you consider social good and legalization.

The social good of lower incarceration rates, increased tax revenue and lower costs for Law enforcement agencies. huge curtailment of black market activities (CA is once again an example of how not to do things here) and probably most importantly for the end user - regulation of a product for purity & safety, means a lot of social positives can come from legalization.

The Cole memo of 2013 essentially held the federal gov't's power of enforcement of schedule III offenses of MJ in check, but Sessions eliminated that and brought back the old concept of heavy-handedness on MJ.

A federal legalization law makes a lot of sense for the reasons you line out, and thankfully, John "This ain't a spray tan" Boehner is working on it at the federal level.
Speaking of Boehner, one of my life's wishes is to know what was said in his conversation with the Pope. It must have been very impactful.

I'm safe. Pretty sure the statute of limitations covers me from college. Never liked it and it made me paranoid. I'm still looking over my shoulder for narc cops 40 years later.

I think the average gun owner, that also smokes pot, is probably not going to answer the question on the 4473 honestly. And there's no way for anyone at the gun store to say any different. Unless you're pie eyed when you are there. Firearms and an altered state caused by anything, are not a good mix.

I think the average gun owner, that also smokes pot, is probably not going to answer the question on the 4473 honestly. And there's no way for anyone at the gun store to say any different. Unless you're pie eyed when you are there. Firearms and an altered state caused by anything, are not a good mix.
Well said.

I guess that is the point I was (too) indirectly trying to make. Everyone is lying on the 4473, which is a worse crime than recreational use.

I suppose before dispensaries, you could buy your guns like you bought your pot. Cash and Carry.
Maybe a combo FFL and Dispensary would be the business of the century.

You can say I'm from Muskogee if you want, but I don't want it in my hunting camp. Yet another reason I solo hunt.

I've got no skin in the game as I don't use it, also rarely drink more than a beer. But I don't believe anyone needs to lose their rights over smoking.It blows my mind that someone can go out and drink till they can't stand up and piss their pants, but in a lot of states would go to jail for simply possessing pot. As long as you aren't impaired when out driving and shooting then it shouldn't matter what you choose put in your body. I'd much rather deal with someone who's a bit "elevated" than someone thats drunk.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back