Popped my ML cherry

mtmiller

As some know, I tore my meniscus in my knee this year and had to cancel a CO high country muzzleloader hunt earlier this year. Since I bought the gun, I decided to pick up a couple South Dakota doe tags (no buck tags for NR's) to try it out.

I gotta say, I think I can get into this muzzleloader hunting.:D

Too many pics to follow for a lowly doe hunt, but that seems to be how I roll.:D

Deer were flowing out further away than I was hoping. These guys were a tad over 330 and just a bit out of my open-sight range.;)

1-4.jpg

2-2.jpg

This busted 3 point was pretty cool looking.

3-2.jpg

Watching about 25 deer walk out in the open, but way too far away bummed me out, but the weather was enjoyable.:D

I figured it was going to be an unsuccessful evening, but then I caught movement off to my right.

4-3.jpg

5-3.jpg

6-4.jpg

Don't move....winds good...right?

7-2.jpg

No worries, we're cool.

9-1.jpg

I knew the bales were 96 yards, so I guess it is go time.

10-2.jpg

Shot felt great, but why the hell is she running away? What can I do? Might as well grab the camera.

11-3.jpg

I can see blood flowing as I am snapping...feeling relief.

12-2.jpg

Good night.

13-3.jpg

14-2.jpg

Great photos! You better give your rancher a big hug, he is feeding a lot of bone for you next fall!

Walked to the pick-up and got my tracker. Luckily there was plenty of blood and he found her quickly.;)

19-2.jpg

I don't really like bullet hole pics, but guess I am posting them anyway. I am used to deer going down immediately, or soon after the shot. This gal went 225 yards before piling up. I was surprised based on the hit?

Entrance.
17-1.jpg

Exit.
18-2.jpg

I had another tag and hunted a couple more times. Had a couple does within range, but I didn't feel the need to pull the trigger. Plenty of meat in the freezer and it was just great being out in the field an enjoying the outdoors.

Thanks for putting up with a simple doe hunt. They all seem to be special any more.

Great photos! You better give your rancher a big hug, he is feeding a lot of bone for you next fall!

I am very thankful...and I let him know. That being said, if I were to offer a hug, pretty sure I would no longer be allowed on the property.:D

That's amazing that she went that far. I'd say the load did it's job. What were you shooting, if you don't mind?

Neat series of photos.

Awesome photos craig! I'm not suprised she went that far, i've never had good luck with muzzleloaders putting stuff down right on the spot. Nice shot though:)

Of the 2 things I've seen shot with a muzzleloader. 1 @15 yards, hit the dirt. The other was 30-40 yards or so and was much more like an arrow than a bullet. Bull ran off 100 yards or so and then died.

As always, gay pictures and terrible lighting.

Great photos, did you loose any Preferance Points, or did you get them reinstated?

I was able to retain my 6 points, just had to forfit my tag (~$330 IIRC). I think I could have gotten that money back, but would have given up my points.

Hope to get down there next season.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back