Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Poor millennials

On bit more serious note: I've worked with all of the current generations - boomer through whatever the little ones are calling themselves today.

By & large, all have some heavy hitters & all have some absolute zeroes. I think a lot of the complaints about younger generations comes down to life experiences, time in the workforce and whether or not that person had an easy time getting to professional status or if they clawed their way up - just like every generation.

It's fun to make fun of those who aren't in our own generation, but I'm pretty danged excited about the millennial and Zoomer class of conservation advocates that are replacing Gen X.

Like all things, the older crowd needs to have some patience and empathy with the younger crowd in order to find the best way to train them - kinda like how we do it with bird dogs.

It's usually the trainer's fault that the dog/millenial/zoomer isn't behaving properly.

As much as I like to poke fun and as a very young "manager" I absolutely agree.

It comes down to individuals themselves and their generation has little to do with it.

I've had boomer soldiers who were either the best or complete worst. At the same time, I have 18yo soldiers who are some of the best I've had and late entries boomer troops who are hard to work with.

You really see what people are made of when times get tough, it's 50C in the desert and things go South and the older overweight single mom is more of a soldier than the 20yo "hardcore" bro. Or vice versa.

But I'll never stop chirping others because I'm pretty much just an a-hole. :geek:

and---just like that---we ( silent generation )--never existed :(

But there was a time and I still remember them "Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end " ;)

The Silent Generation is one of my favorites. That's my parent's generation. :)
What I learned from that generation is this:

Be kind. Everyone else can be an asshole, but kindness is in short supply. Kindness really pisses people off too, so use it as a weapon when you can.

Work hard & do your best: Work can suck, but focusing only on the here and now means you lose track of your goals and your ability to focus. Discipline is not a punishment. It's a reward. (I got a d in this one and it sucks)

Don't be selfish: You didn't get where you are by yourself. Others have helped either through influence, mentorship or even in showing you how not to do some things. Be free with your advice and remember that the next people behind you must build off of what you made, so your work/art/whatever can live on through the generosity of your time & knowledge. Also see #1.

Money is a tool - not a god: Work hard, work honest and don't be afraid to put the work down and enjoy yourself. Pursuing money for the sake of wealth is a soul-crushing experience. Pursuing professional success in all aspects leads to wealth beyond that which a dollar can buy.

Listen to those who came before you: As my father once said when I was questioning how to lay down asphalt "I've been doing this for 30 years. if there were a better way, don't you think I would have found it?"

Listen to those who came before you: As my father once said when I was questioning how to lay down asphalt "I've been doing this for 30 years. if there were a better way, don't you think I would have found it?"
So, there's a chance I can rescue you from the dark side?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back