Caribou Gear

Poor millennials

Sheet. I been up since 0400. It's almost lunch time kid.

You almost got me old timer. Up at 2 to drive 4 hours west to grab a dozer to haul back home. I do things early so I can afford to work my full time job of fixing fence and cussing cattle. Man I shoulda stayed in school. šŸ¤£

On bit more serious note: I've worked with all of the current generations - boomer through whatever the little ones are calling themselves today.

By & large, all have some heavy hitters & all have some absolute zeroes. I think a lot of the complaints about younger generations comes down to life experiences, time in the workforce and whether or not that person had an easy time getting to professional status or if they clawed their way up - just like every generation.

It's fun to make fun of those who aren't in our own generation, but I'm pretty danged excited about the millennial and Zoomer class of conservation advocates that are replacing Gen X.

Like all things, the older crowd needs to have some patience and empathy with the younger crowd in order to find the best way to train them - kinda like how we do it with bird dogs.

It's usually the trainer's fault that the dog/millenial/zoomer isn't behaving properly.

Used bio freeze on my hip one time and then proceeded to play a basketball game. Sweat made it run to places you donā€™t want it. I do not recommend the tub and dunk method.
--
So...your sayin don't use it as lube then?
--
But then you get icy hot on your boys. Never a good thing.
--
Damn I can remember some funny shit from the high school locker room that involved icy hot.
--

As a member of the "Silent" generation, I have, no comment .

Although I think we were the last generation that had to walk to school, in the snow, without shoes, uphill-both ways

Boo!!! I will always push back on this narrative, at least for my age group.

Born in '87, Associate Degree education (finished in my late 20's), own 3 houses. I bought my first at 22 at the bottom of the market in 2009 (still own, now an Airbnb), bought another for family to live in close by at 30 (still own, admittedly tiny condo, family pays the mortgage), and bought my most recent at 34 last year (current primary home).

Sure, that first house made a significant impact on my ability to buy to the others, but if you're an older millennial you were likely of buying age during the bottom and lows of the market in 2008 and subsequent years. I had to borrower over $800 of my $1,000 earnest money from a friend and then paid them back with the first time homebuyer grants being handed out like candy during that time (thanks Obama, for real LOL). At the time for us it was $100/month more expensive than renting, but we went from a 1/1 with 750 SF to a 3/2 with 1,600 SF, plus future appreciation. It was a no brainer.

Yes, I had spousal income support. We were both making about $15/hour when we got married and bought that first house for $156K. No doubt it is much harder now, but my age group had a good chance for a while. Shoot, my FL house appraised for $275K in 2017 when we refinanced. Assuming another $600/month in other debt payments and a 40% DTI cap, an individual or couple only needed to be making +/- $70K to qualify for that mortgage. Down payment and closing costs would have been +/- $10K-$20K depending on the loan program (that would probably be the biggest challenge, but you're talking $1K - $2K per year in savings from 20 - 30 years old. Definitely doable.). But there were plenty of markets cheaper than that at the time.

Big, fat, qualifier: The market right now is crazy, of course. But if you've been an adult for a decade or more, there was reasonably affordable housing to be had for a stretch of time (and potentially very affordable housing for a short period of time).
Impressive. 5 years older and 30 years ahead in life! Lol! I was 17-18 when the market crashed.. I was working at an IHOP for like $50 a day- complacent as any 18 yr old kid with no bills, besides maybe a 6 pack to drink with my friends at the skatepark, a bag of reefer and a pack of smokes and a phone bill. Thatā€™s it! I admire your successes, it is a great example of work hard now to enjoy life later. Iā€™ve had to come a long way and really pull my head out of my arse to support a family and try to get ahead in life.. I hope I can raise my kids to be more like you were from 17-21 rather than how I wasā€¦ lol

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back