Poll: Should NRs have a larger say in Montana Wildlife Management?

Should NRs have a larger say in Montana Wildlife Management?

• Yes- I'm a Resident

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • No- I'm a Resident

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • Yes- I'm a NR

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • No- I'm a NR

Votes: 65 53.3%

• Total voters
I hope that I'm mistaken but it sounds like code for non-residents deserve a larger percentage of limited entry units.

If that's the case, it's 4ell no for me.

If it is not that but more about pricing, application dates, guide requirements, etc, I am fine with considering their opinion but not being bound by it.

Last edited:
With all do respect and it is A LOT OF RESPECT for you and all you have done with this legislation stuff. And helped us NR. How can you say this but than ask me as a NR to email Legislatures asking for them to support or oppose something?

I totally get not having a vote but not having an opinion? Seems like 143 wouldve had an easier path without the opinion of a lot of NR emailing people.
I get what you're saying and agree, I have no problem with a NR voicing a concern and having an opinion. What I don't endorse is giving priority to a NR over the demands of the R's in particular when the people we elect are obligated to represent their constituents (Resident Hunters).

I get what you're saying and agree, I have no problem with a NR voicing a concern and having an opinion. What I don't endorse is giving priority to a NR over the demands of the R's in particular when the people we elect are obligated to represent their constituents (Resident Hunters).
And I agree 100% with you I would never in a million years expect to have my opinion over ride a R who lives there, pays taxes, and voted for the officials. But, my voice should be heard and have some sort of value.

I get the vibe from the responses that people don't even think we NR should have an opinion and shouldn't be even emailing these elected officials. I hope I am wrong but truly don't feel I am.

With all do respect and it is A LOT OF RESPECT for you and all you have done with this legislation stuff. And helped us NR. How can you say this but than ask me as a NR to email Legislatures asking for them to support or oppose something?

I totally get not having a vote but not having an opinion? Seems like 143 wouldve had an easier path without the opinion of a lot of NR emailing people.

I think you misunderstand me. But I think my use of the word “opinion” caused it. I tried to be specific when I said “official/legal power”. What I really meant was a vote.

I think non-residents should have opinions and I think they should be able to provide arguments and I would hope that those arguments factor in when it comes to the minds of the decision-makers.

I’m a resident, and all I can do is what I wrote above that I hope non-residents can do too. The only extra power I have over a non-resident is I get to vote for politicians here. There are folks in this state who actually have a say in what happens to wildlife, and by “say” I mean they actually make the decisions. I’m not one of them. And I don’t think nonresidents should ever have that type of “say“.

It’s an oversimplified and clumsy answer to and oversimplified and clumsy question. No offense meant.

No offense meant.

None taken and I assumed it was a mis interpretation on my part. I think you and are on the same page. I don't think I deserve a vote but do think my voice should carry a little weight say 60% of what a resident does but would happy with 39% 😉.

Again thanks for all you have done the past couple months.

Funny thing fellas.......when all of the emails came flooding in to the Senators and Legislatures in opposition to 143......a HUGE amount of them were nonresidents. That was thanks to a huge push from the fringe groups and......well......I’ll leave that one alone. But most on here sure didn’t think it was bad then. I know Pat Tabor very well, and he has an open mind and will be a very good person in that position. Just saying.
It wasn’t about tabor. Don’t know him so can’t opine. I just thought his argument was an interesting question. Of course, I really think he is thinking about himself as an outfitter who benefits from NR. So people can square that circle anyway they want.

None taken and I assumed it was a mis interpretation on my part. I think you and are on the same page. I don't think I deserve a vote but do think my voice should carry a little weight say 60% of what a resident does but would happy with 39% 😉.

Again thanks for all you have done the past couple months.
Your vote matters if you vote with your wallet. Completely acceptable for a NR to say they will go elsewhere if a change is made.

I vote no.
would not sit well with me if NR had any say in PA game management
if I’m being honest. like many have suggested we all have life choices to make and where we call home is one of those choices

Easy no. The bigger question is should residents have a bigger say in their own state? Yes, but you’ll likely need to cough up more than $20 for an elk tag to make that case for yourselves.
This

Like it or not, nonresidents have a say in Montana and will as long as they continue to pay 2/3 of license sales. If we as residents want to change that we will have to step up and pay more.

Last edited:
The results are pretty much what I expected (90% no, 10% yes), which is why I thought it was an odd argument for the candidate to make. I can't imagine every thinking I should have a say in WY or IA or FL wildlife management. Montana's are quick to say people from CA or NY shouldn't have a say in how we manage wolves, so we were pretty consistent in that view. There was one resident vote for 'yes' but there was no comment, so not sure the thought process.

NR do have a say, somewhat. They can email or call MT legislative committee members like any resident. However, as we saw this year, NRs are not allowed to speak as a proponent or opponent to bills. Most of the arguments for came down to $$$. Although others argued they shouldn't have a say but can vote with their wallet. I guess that is the ultimate voice. If you have enough money you can purchase a ranch and buy a politician or two and have a voice louder than the majority of Montanans combined.

Non-resident hunters should have ZERO say in any states' game management plans.
If they don't like the states' rules nobody is forcing them to go hunt there. They can feel free to spend their $$ elsewhere.

I hope when our new commission starts discussing Ranching for Wildlife my brothers and sisters from CO will have an opportunity to provide information.;) As for those Utah folks, peese on them.:D;)

I read an article in the Gazette today about Whitefish-area outfitter Patrick Tabor, a nominee for the Fish and Wildlife Commission, who was answered questions from of Senate Fish And Game Committee. Quote from article below.

Under further questioning from Cohenour, Tabor said he is not interested in “bulldozing or coming in with a specific agenda.”
However, he went on to say that he feels nonresidents, who supply a large portion of the funding to Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks because their hunting and fishing licenses are more expensive, deserve a larger say.
“I’ve always felt quite strongly that nonresidents don’t have a voice relative to what happens in Montana … I think when we talk about sportsmen it needs to be all inclusive.”

What do you think?
No.
But neither should the outfitters.....or the legislators
I’ve got an idea, let’s hire people with training in wildlife resource management, let them have a go at it....

If MT keeps raising NR tags cost, they should have some input. But prob ends up just
being voting w/ your wallet.

Back