Poling a boat in a duck marsh

BrentD

I'm thinking about next season already. I will have the time to significantly up my game, which would entail using my boat - something I have avoided to this point.

To that end, I am looking for a suitable pole for moving a small aluminum boat across shallow, soft, cattail marshes with channels too narrow for rowing. Is there someone that makes such things? Something that breaks down or telescopes would be ideal. I could make something but I'm hoping something is made specifically for this that would be better than building a take down pole from wooden coat closet rods or stair railing dowels. I have a motor but would prefer not to use it for half a dozen reasons.

Here are some push poles....

with something like this for the pushend.....

Lots of them out there. I have a telescoping one that fits in my 10' marsh boat. The one I have is pretty old, but has held up very well. I recommend octagon (or similar) tubing over round.

Pretty sure I got mine at Mack's, but don't see it on there. Here is one they do have that might be of interest. Of course you will also need to pick up a foot.

I'm thinking about next season already. I will have the time to significantly up my game, which would entail using my boat - something I have avoided to this point.

To that end, I am looking for a suitable pole for moving a small aluminum boat across shallow, soft, cattail marshes with channels too narrow for rowing. Is there someone that makes such things? Something that breaks down or telescopes would be ideal. I could make something but I'm hoping something is made specifically for this that would be better than building a take down pole from wooden coat closet rods or stair railing dowels. I have a motor but would prefer not to use it for half a dozen reasons.
I have one sitting in the basement I could sell you. It’s a telescopic duck foot.

They have them at JAX and Sportsmen Warehouse, Scheels, and Bass Pro. Telescoping push poles. I have an old wood one and got a metal telescoping pole 2 years ago. You need to buy the pole and then the foot for it. They work very well. I believe mine is Avery brand.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back