Caribou Gear

Podcast - request for topics

Originally Posted by Moosie
............... You should have a Crazy Co-Host.

You get to Bozeman and we'll have an open spot for you to co-host, whenever you are in town.

Can someone point me to the gofundme web page that's going to fund Oscar's trip to Bozeman? :D

Just get interested/smart people and talk like you around the campfire.

More specifics on "stupid laws and shhtuff" happening at state or federal level we need to dig into and call politicians about.

Pick a state, pick an animal and tell us how to hunt it. Maine Moose, Montana Muley, Colorado Elk, etc etc.

Not sure I even want to ask.

Growing up fishing, hunting, and floating the Yellowstone river I have often heard the term, "cast and blast". I believe there to be many public/private land use misnomers specifically regarding high water and islands. Also in question might be whether islands are public land at all. Is the Yellowstone river an interstate water way with similar easement rules as federal interstate property? Do these rules, if any, also apply to large game taken with riffle?

Growing up fishing, hunting, and floating the Yellowstone river I have often heard the term, "cast and blast". I believe there to be many public/private land use misnomers specifically regarding high water and islands. Also in question might be whether islands are public land at all. Is the Yellowstone river an interstate water way with similar easement rules as federal interstate property? Do these rules, if any, also apply to large game taken with riffle?

Good question. Depends upon what state you are talking about. Each state has different rules, with MT have the some of most favorable interpretations for public recreation.

Islands being public/private comes down to whether or not they were deeded land at the time the deed was filed or formed by accretion. Accretion being the natural process of a river or stream that changes the path of the river, creating islands, and at times eating away the bank that is owned by someone. In MT, islands formed by accretion are considered part of the stream bed and open to public use. If they are islands that were part of the original deed to private property, they are not open to public use.

Some states do not declare the state as owner of the stream bed, so the accretion issue is moot. I hesitate to bring up a topic on the podcast that is so different in each state, as it will lead some people to wrong conclusions and others will email to tell me how their state is different than some of the examples I might use.

Pick a state, pick an animal and tell us how to hunt it. Maine Moose, Montana Muley, Colorado Elk, etc etc.

+1 for this!! :D

That's going to happen the first week of November. I will be in Colorado hunting OTC elk. I will be talking about this exact topic. When that podcast episode will air, I am not sure. We are also doing it much greater detail for a new informational elk hunting web series that will roll out next year.

Being in politics it would be cool for you to have a guest who does similar work in another state much like you do in Montana. I think it would be neat to hear about some issues that Idaho or Wyoming is dealing with and give perspective to us other states on how to avoid certain issues or give perspective on issues that states are dealing with.

That's going to happen the first week of November. I will be in Colorado hunting OTC elk. I will be talking about this exact topic. When that podcast episode will air, I am not sure. We are also doing it much greater detail for a new informational elk hunting web series that will roll out next year.

I would suggest choosing MT instead. I understand it is the Holy Grail of elk hunting, and OTC tags, too. :eek:;)

I would suggest choosing MT instead. I understand it is the Holy Grail of elk hunting, and OTC tags, too. :eek:;)

OK. You be my guest and you cover CO and I'll cover MT. We have all the bases covered that way.

How about podcast that talks about non-resident alien hunting opportunities? You could do a bit on Americans hunting in Canada and then flip it around and cover Canadians hunting in the US

Randy,
How about a legends of the hunttalk forum podcast. Famous or infamous members. You can decide.

I would like to hear about the offers you have had to go hunting with other members or whoever, and if they panned out or were a total bust? Did you learn anything from the hunt?

Many hunters ( including myself ) seem to have different ethics on what's an acceptable distance to take a shot at trophy game versus predator. I'm mainly a bow hunter and frequently hear guys who wouldn't take a shot past 60 yds. on an elk or deer, but have no problem letting one fly at 80 yds. on a coyote.

I know it's the same on the rifle side of things just the distances are longer but would love to hear some conversation why feel this way.

Corner crossing in States where there is no law on the books that make it legal or illegal but department "policy" statements discourage it. I'd love to have people call in who have done it and how often they have been harassed or prosecuted etc.

Randy - excellent job with the podcast! The topics and guests have been great.
Some more ideas to add to the long list:
-Some more crazy back-stories about your hunts (I enjoyed the early podcast with your old camera crew rehashing some of the stories that didn't make it on the episodes)
-Balancing motorized access with those of us who like to hunt on foot. How you've communicated to fellow hunters and the agencies the value of non-motorized when it comes to travel planning.
-Success stories (the RMEF founders was great) how about talking about some current wins for hunters and the mechanics that made it happen.
Thanks!

1. talk about packing game out and getting it tore apart for packing
2. sheep tags and if you could ever draw in your lifetime
3. state tags, different state each week
4. how to get along with other public hunters on public land and not fight with each other like any animal is worth that kind of fight, we are all hunters not against each other like a race
5. talk about all the hunts that didnt pan out or result in a kill, what went wrong and how to learn from it
6. ballistics and long range comfort levels, ethical range

This might not be as big of an issue for others as it is my own.

I would love to hear conversation regarding bonus points and western states drawing systems and where it stands for the younger generation that is just starting to accrue points. I look at states all across the West and see as a Non-Resident or even a Resident for that matter, I am being stacked up against people with sometimes 15 or 25 points. Then when you take into consideration the units giving out 2 tags and you have dozens sometimes hundreds of people with max points it can be overwhelming and cause someone to question if it is worth even putting in.

What would be your ideal drawing system?
Directed to someone just starting to accrue points, what states would you put in for and what species?
Are there some species you wouldn't even bother attempting for each year?

Like I said earlier this is a personal struggle I have had over the last couple of years of feeling overwhelmed when looking at the draws across the West, but I have a hard time believing I'm the only 23 year old in this predicament.

Love the Podcast and I look forward to every other Thursday now!

BIGFIN,
I have finally came up with a topic that might not only be intresting but be a way to implment changes within Montana DNR ( Im sure they arent called DNR but you ncatchc my drift.
Have you considered approaching the head of the MT DNR and/Governor or even a political rival to the aforementioned?
Steve Rinella did a podcast with WY Govenor which is what gave me the idea.
Yall could discuss the process of how DNR issues are handled and give some hought and ideas on an improved process. Additionally you could have them assist in shedding light on the ideaology that drives those processes. Alot of people want to hear whats rules you find unnecessary but would a discussion on how to change those rules be beneficial and equally as intresting. They benefit by being afforded a popular forum to sell thier ideas. You benefit from having their ear for the duration of the podcast. We benefit by that time potentially having a positive impact on the hunters experience.

1. Roosevelt Elk issues (landscape, hoof rot disease, etc...)

2. Invite Douglas W. Smith, who was instrumental in wolf reintroduction, to be on as a guest to discuss the ecology of wolves. Objectively discuss their importance, presence and role in today's landscape.

3. Bighorn Sheep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back