Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Podcast - request for topics

Some idea, in no particular order.

1. What state/species do you have a stupid amount of points for and why haven’t you cashed in your points/what are you holding out for (bighorn excluded).
2. What hunt is still on your bucket list that you just haven’t been able to pull off?
3. What three easy draw/OTC hunts should people have on their bucket list while they’re chasing the point game?
4. What are your two favorite pieces of gear, one sentimental, one functional?
5. What are you most optimistic about with respect to the future of hunting?
6. What’s the number one question you get asked via PM or email?
7. What’s the best way for folks to get involved with conservation/hunting issues?
- Ideas for the guy with more money than time, and for the guy with more time than money
- Distill how people should be thinking about opportunities/threats via the legislature, Fish and Game commissions, NGO’s, FS/BLM use/travel management plans.
8. In what ways is the Federal Government (Forest Service/BLM) NOT the bogey man so many claim them to be. Or, why is that argument too simplistic?
9. What other non-hunting focused groups should hunters look to for support for various habitat and access issues?
10. Whom in the outdoor industry or media and/or conservation arena do you have great respect for and why?
11. You’ve drawn an (elk, deer, antelope) tag in a new area, what are your three biggest priorities/strategies for narrowing your focus of areas to hunt?
12. Whose gear were you using before sponsorship of the show, and who’s will you continue to use if they were to no longer be a sponsor?
13. How did OYOA/FT get to where it is today?
14. How did HuntTalk get to where it is today (probably a good one for a special guest)?
15. Has social media changed hunting?
16. What is the biggest thing hunters don't appreciate with respect to the history of hunting?
17. What is one of your favorite things you've learned from HuntTalk?

Last edited:
Wow, these are good. Instead of a bi-weekly Podcast, we would have to go to a daily Podcast to cover all these topics in the depth that does it justice.

Keep them coming. I will try to sort them in general categories and we will get them covered over the course of the next six months.

Wolf management around YNP, and GNP. Interview Defenders reps, and some sportsman reps. Maybe some wildlife bio in each area.

Predator management always gets high marks for opinions.

I'm more interested in the political side of things like Arnie Dood, the effects of budget cuts, history of the land swaps around here, wolves, grizzly bears, etc. You ought to start a weekly talk show like Brian Kahn.

-how has hunting changed over your lifetime
-wolf reintroduction lessons
-technology effects on hunting and the future of hunting
-what makes for a good hunting partner?
-I like the political stuff too
-muskrats
-balancing hunting with family
-conservation organizations
-you once wrote that the biggest mistake hunters make, is simply not hunting where there is game. They obsess over tactics too much, and miss the bigger picture. That really spoke to me, and I would love to hear you elaborate on that more.
- guests: Jim Posewitz, wildlife biologists, your camera guys, conservationists who inspire you

FWIW, based on your description, I really hope that pilot episode sees the light of day :)

- I like the political issues as well and learning how we can get involved to help.
- I would also like to learn how to spring bear hunt in the rock mountains. Since my trip this spring resulted in zero bears taken.
- It would be interesting to through a recipe for some of your favorite game as well.

I sat at a dinner table with Arinie Dood a while back and he had a lot to say about how leg-hold trapping is not the big cruel thing some people make it out to be. It was educational for me.

1. Thoughts on the increasing participation of women hunters.
2. Best first big game hunt for a new hunter (adult onset hunter).
3. Meat care when hunting out of state and how you get it home.
4. What are the pros/cons of a gated Forest Service road?
5. What more is there to a political candidate that get's an A or F from the NRA?
6. Has the foodie/localvore movement changed your perception of eating game?

If Big Fin were king, what would the big game draw systems and pricing structure look like? What state get its the most right, in your opinion?

A discussion about non-consumptive users contributing financially to wildlife management, pros and cons.

Talk about how the internet, magazines, technology, social media etc. have spread the sportsman's lifestyle. And this fact makes it a catch 22. On one hand, more people are being introduced to and loving the way we recreate. And more are becoming aware of the importance of conservation and keeping these places viable and accessible.

On the other hand, we have more people doing the following:

-Applying for the same number of limited tags
-Hunting and fishing the same overcrowded areas
-Hunting and fishing the backcountry (making the "real" backcountry even tougher to get to)

There's got to be a balance somewhere, and it would be interesting to know how this "spread" will affect the future of outdoorsman.

I'd like to hear a discussion/ review of the primary Funds/ Bills that are the most critical to public land presevation. I'd also like to understand what is the most impactful way to contribute to this cause, other than calling your representative or giving to foundations like the RMEF. I live in Minnesota, so I can't make it to any of the meetings out there, but I'd like to know more about how the average non-resident can make a difference.

Whatever you decide, I would like to be able to download the audio files so I can burn them to cd and listen while driving on my hunts.

These "serious" topics are all great ideas, however you have a way of storytelling that few people have. I always look forward to reading your hunt stories on here, and the best part is your telling of the unforseen difficulties you encounter (like the boat motor falling apart in your bear hunt.) It would be highly entertaining to hear about these situations, and some of the "bloopers" that happen with your guests and friends when you hunt.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back