Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Podcast #13 - Don Thomas

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
In this podcast, me and Dr. E. Donnall Thomas, talk about issues that have come to the focal point with his removal as columnist in the back of Ducks Unlimited magazine. We talk about the danger of the media being muzzled by outside influences, how you cannot say you are an advocate for hunting yet have no opinion on access, and what deference should an organization feel compelled to show to a donor.

Here are the links where you can listen to this one.

iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ep-001-randy-newberg-talks/id1012713381?i=345687547&mt=2

Stitcher link, where you can download to phones other than iPhones, or listen from your computer - http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mea...rg-unfiltered-hunting-conservation?refid=stpr

Dr. Thomas is a class act. I can't say how impressive it is that he is handling this like a professional. Hopefully some good will come from this.

Just finished listening to this today.

I really like how you guys talked about how groups need to start to defend public land access politically. These big foundations have a lot of influence that could be used for a good cause.

I studied politics in college. A lot of political discussion bores me but what is going on with hunting politically is more interesting than almost any other issue.

My interest is partially due to the fact that there seem to be so many intelligent and ethical advocates for hunting that will stand up for what is right.

The issue with the media being beholden to outside influences(advertisers) is something that effects a lot more than just hunting. Luckily with the internet it is easy for independent media to rise up and fill the gaps left by the mainstream publications.

Great stuff Randy!

Fantastic podcast!

I agree with you guys on the muzzling from the writers!

Fin you getting any heat from others on this one?

Really enjoyed this one. Dr. Thomas sounds like an incredibly level headed guy.

Randy,
Thanks for covering this issue. Don Thomas was a great guest who kept focus on the bigger issues of public access, the importance of a free outdoor press, and the need for conservation advocacy organizations to stay in step with their members. Keep the podcasts coming, unfiltered. You are doing all of us a great service.

I enjoyed this podcast and have a couple of thoughts:

1. True charity does not come with strings attached. If it has strings attached it is a business transaction.

2. I worry little about outdoor writers, or anyone else for that matter, being muzzled. Because of technology, we live in a time and place where barriers to expressing an opinion have never been lower (a podcast and an online forum are good examples).

This was not a good year for outdoor writers. We recently lost our local outdoor writer, the Denver paper got rid of their outdoor reporter this year, Dr. Thomas fired from writing for DU for taking a pro-access/pro-hunting/pro-fishing position in a completely unrelated publication. Seems almost surreal that supposedly pro-hunting politicians now regularly have average hunters and anglers in their cross-hairs... At least we know what we're up against now.

Yet another great podcast. I have been reading Don Thomas for years and it came as no surprise that he was an intelligent and eloquent guest on the podcast. I cast one vote for making him a semi-regular guest. He as A TON of experience that we could all learn from. keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back