Blisters, Feet & Foot problems

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Given who many days I see lost to bum feet, blisters, lack of foot preparation, we decided to do a podcast and a video that helps with some of these topics. My anecdotal observation is that most people don't prepare their feet for the rigors of backcountry the way they do the rest of their body.

A gym rat who has spent ten months in a cross-fit program using their gym shoes is going to get their feet hammered by one day in the mountains if they haven't spent the summer building up their feet the same way they have built up their body and cardio. It is September and every bit of cardio or strength conditioning I have done for the last three months has been in my hunting boots, usually with 25-40# on my back. I might be slower going up the mountain than many, but my feet are ready for hunting season. I might lose days due to some ache or pain, but odds are if I lose days it won't be the result of foot problems.

The first part of this foot topic is the podcast (Episode 142) with podiatrist and hunter, Dr. Bill Wilshire. Bill is a great friend and I finally was able to impose on him for two hours. He is a serious traditional archer torn between chasing elk and tree stand sitting for whitetails. He knows what hunters will encounter for foot and ankle issues.

You can download on most popular podcast apps or listen directly here - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hu...hunting-conservation/e/77338886?autoplay=true

The second part of this topic is how many people struggle with cold feet. They blame it on their socks or their boots. Most often it is the result of not using some common methods to keep moisture out of the boot. Warm/cold feet issues are normally a moisture management issue.

This should give some simple ideas to try when cold feet are a problem. Might not solve all the issues, but should help with most. No matter the boot, the principles are the same.

The best thing I found for blisters is benzoin tincture. You can find it in prepackaged individual swabsticks and it works wonders. The military calls them "hotshots" when injected into a blister, but they work great topically to treat the blister and increase adhesion of duct tape or bandaid, etc...

I've had KT Tape stay on my heel for an entire backpack desert sheep hunt with this stuff, instead of rolling up in your sock a mile after putting it on. It can totally save your hunt.

My high school basketball coach played pro ball. Out first practice each season was mostly conditioning but the first half hour was how to properly out on our athletic socks then lace on our shoes snuggly.

Key: no wrinkles in your socks.

I got one blister in high school basketball. Was in bottom of foot when sock was damp and stayed there the rest of the season.

I have never had a blister on a hunt. I smooth the liner sock along the bottom of my foot and then put on the wool sock. I lace the boot in a pattern that involves crossing the laces so locks the laces in more than one spot. This allows the foot to be snug and the ankle to be tighter.

I put 100 or more miles on a pair of new boots before leave the sidewalk and more than half of those miles with a loaded pack.

Side-hilling is tough on the feet as is downhill in steep stuff. I have gotten a few hot spots early in a hike so stop and re-lace and/or put tape over the hot spot which is usually at heel.

I still occasionally get tender toes if a lot of downhill from nails hitting inside of boot. I trim my toenails a week before a hunt to help with that issue. The week lead time is in case cut too short. My big toe nails get special attention by sanding a bit the night before the hunt.

Is a lot of effort and has been worth it for me.

Great tips, I always have a roll of Leukotape in my pack/firstaid kit. The stuff works wonders for hot spots on your feet.

I have a problem toe. No matter what I do it's still prone to blisters. When I worked for the FS it really became an issue hiking all day everyday. I eventually consulted a doctor about amputation. He said I'd never have my balance back. So then we talked about breaking it and re-aligning it. He was skeptical. Since then I've moved onto an office job and keep my hiking to a few hours a days a handful of days a week max which has really stopped the problem for the most part. However, I did 25 miles and a bunch of vert the other day and dang it is didn't rear it's head again. It's funny you mention gym shoes is such a negative light. I have switched a lot of my hunting to trail runners. You do really have to work on you ankle strength/balance but it's worked well for me.

The goHUNT team just recently posted a video on Youtube “Tips for Tying Hunting Boots - Lace to Fit Your Feet”. Almost every boot I have ever owned has given me heel blisters after 5+ miles of hiking, looking forward to trying some of these lacing techniques to hopefully alleviate this issue, I sure will feel silly if it simply boils down to me not knowing how to properly tie my shoes.

Insightful stuff, as always, @Big Fin. I also bring 3m ioban 2. It is a bit expensive, but it's also antimicrobrial and sticks really well. Great for blisters and cuts.

Given who many days I see lost to bum feet, blisters, lack of foot preparation, we decided to do a podcast and a video that helps with some of these topics. My anecdotal observation is that most people don't prepare their feet for the rigors of backcountry the way they do the rest of their body.

A gym rat who has spent ten months in a cross-fit program using their gym shoes is going to get their feet hammered by one day in the mountains if they haven't spent the summer building up their feet the same way they have built up their body and cardio. It is September and every bit of cardio or strength conditioning I have done for the last three months has been in my hunting boots, usually with 25-40# on my back. I might be slower going up the mountain than many, but my feet are ready for hunting season. I might lose days due to some ache or pain, but odds are if I lose days it won't be the result of foot problems.

The first part of this foot topic is the podcast (Episode 142) with podiatrist and hunter, Dr. Bill Wilshire. Bill is a great friend and I finally was able to impose on him for two hours. He is a serious traditional archer torn between chasing elk and tree stand sitting for whitetails. He knows what hunters will encounter for foot and ankle issues.

You can download on most popular podcast apps or listen directly here - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hu...hunting-conservation/e/77338886?autoplay=true

That was a great podcast Randy, learned a lot I didn't know.

Back