Poaching - turning someone in.

Would you....

• A. I'd TURN THEM IN FOR ANYTHING !!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Shooting somethnig on Accident like 2 birds in one shot is OK but anything else isn't.

• C. If they said it was an Accident no matter what I wouldn't turn them in.

• D. No way would I turn my hunting buddy in.

• Total voters
BOHNTR, read the poll questions at the top.

For what it's worth, I don't have any friends that are poachers but I don't have any that haven't and couldn't make a mistake either. If a guy doesn't call the authorities on himself after a snafu, I don't think that means he clearly "had intent" to break any laws.

When I look down and notice my speedometer is 10 mph over the limit, I usually slow down, I don't pull over and phone the Highway patrolman.

no, im not turning them in.and just because i held the light doesnt mean im helping drag it out and gut it either!......

Check out this senario?

lets say you have Moosies once in a life time bighorn tag. You and T-bone backpack for 8 days and finally locate a pig ram. you follow the rams to the unit boundary which is the bottom of a huge drainage. the monster ram wades the creek and stands broadside 20 yards into the wrong unit. Would you shoot him knowing that there in not another human being within 20 miles of you (besides t-bone). I am almost 100% sure I would.

I would have to be in the situation to make that choice, but sitting here in my chair, right now, I would say no.

Greehorn:

I can definately understand minor infractions, but your example of shooting two deer unfortunately doesn't meet that criteria in most states. I've been called, several times early in my career, to respond to just what you have explained. Most were fairly honest hunters that simply made a poor decision when they fired. However, I respected them more for being honest and calling someone. Most, depending on how poor the decision was, were not issued a citation. Some were.

I believe you're confusing my statement regarding hunter intent. Again, I realize honest mistakes are made every year by outstanding folks. It doesn't make them bad sportsmen or people in general. However, all hunters (including you and I) are responsible for their actions in the field, good or bad.

As for speeding on the interstate.....of course I wouldn't call. However, when I was written a ticket for 5mph over the limit I didn't complain.....I broke the law whether someone turned me in for it or not. :)

Greenhorn,
Not wearing hunter orange is not comparable to poaching. That is a whole different subject. That is like someone shooting out of a vechicle. That comes down to ethics. What may be ethical for one family (or group of hunters) is different than the next group. My post was about POACHING. Are you comparing someone that doesn't wear orange to Poaching?. Maybe you didn't catch that my post was about Poaching, but thats ok, you can re-read my post.

What to do if you/someone you know hit two animals on accident? Well everyone knows the obvious thing to do. And that is what I would do and that is what my hunting partners would do. If they choose another path thats ok. But if that path leads to the "waste" of that animal then maybe the law should be involved.

EL

WOW, lot of opinions here ..........Greenhorn,
I thought we would just forget about theose birds of our youth :D

I agree that a rifle during archery season and chainsaw off the head is a no brainer. But where is the line in the sand?
Some of these sit. mentioned could be a tough call.

Honest mistake are honest mistakes. I guess you get to live with what you did. About shooting the ram in the wrong area..... kinda like passing off a high fence bull as a "real" trophy. And I beleive most of ya were real pleased with those folks.

I would not turn a buddy in, short of him shooting somebody and trying to cover it up somehow. If it was a major violation and was done intentionally, I just might not ever hunt with that guy again. And he would know why.

I have never claimed to be a saint in the past, but as I grew older my value of wildlife changed. Today, if I catch a poacher, even an ATV bound hunter in a vehicle restricted area is a poacher, I'll do my best to catch them. Even if I gotta call Lew Huddleson up from the south to bust'em.

People that maliciously poach usually get theirs eventually. These types of people will never understand your side of the story and usually get off with a slap on the wrist! I think that the risk outweighs the benefit of turning in a low life scumbag that will get caught sooner or later.

An ex best friend of mine for over 20 years poached a nice bull from the highway driving back to Arizona from Idaho. It's a long story and NO I wasn't with him (another story). His life is totally miserable now... what comes around goes around.

Now on the other hand, when you are talking about a person poaching for substinance, it'd be a cold day in hell before I turn him or her in.

John, I agree that looking at what someone takes illegally makes a Difference to Most I bet too. Taking a Doe for Meat , athough still wrong and illegal, is looked on less then taking a Buck for it's Bone. Probably like the Difference between someone Stealling money and Going to jail and a Child molester......

Wyo, I think by Definition you are wrong.

1 : to trespass on <a field poached too frequently by the amateur -- Times Literary Supplement>
2 a : to take (game or fish) by illegal methods b : to appropriate (something) as one's own

therefore shooting out of a Car in Idaho is Illegal so it's not ethics, if you take a Deer this way technically..... It's Poaching. I'm assuming hunter oragnge in other States it's the Same.

But thats just Technically. Logically it's not :D :D

When you pick a hunting buddy, you subconsciously evaluate their morals and ethics. If they meet your level of acceptance you will know if you will have to make the choice that Moosie has put forth, but in real life...

I probably wouldn't turn in my buddy for a mistake, and probably not for doing something like shooting a deer for his wife to tag. I don't agree with party hunting, but I have witnessed my fair share of it. I would bet that many of the people here have at least seen it a time or two.

But I don't make it a habit to hunt with people who intentionally break the law, and I wouldn't hunt with someone that I expected to break the law. I like to keep it clean and I tend to hunt with people who feel the same way, but over the years I have had some people in my camp that thought the rules were merely suggestions. Maybe I should have turned each and everyone of them in, but I have yet to drop a dime.

I did have the unpleasant experience of having two guys in our camp get busted for baiting big game with salt. It was about 10 years ago. I was camped with them, but I was hunting a completely different side of the mountain and in no way breaking the law. They got caught on the first day of the hunt and by the time I got back to camp they had been ticketed and their bows and some other gear had been confiscated. The officers were already gone by the time I got in that evening, so I didn't have to answer any questions or anything. That's good because I knew what they were doing and even though I was not involved I may have gotten into trouble for not turning them in. I don't hunt with those guys anymore.

Wow, this is pretty interesting. If this was posted over on MM I bet it would have a completely different tone.

I think it would have to depend on the situation for me. Outright poaching and I will turn in my best friend. Taking an animal possibly a little early in the morning probably not. If it was something that wasn't a real big deal but intentional then it will be the last time I hunt with them.

I have read quite a bit of double talk on this...Poaching is poaching plain and simple...If a person intentionaly kills an animal not by leagle means than its poached...Would I turn in my hunting partner for poaching,,for killing two ducks with one shot?? Nope not poaching..Killing a huge buck in the headlights?? Hell yes,,,right after I beat his ass to a bloody pulp....Turn in someone for killing a doe at the end of season to feed his family??? If he and his family were that hungry, then go to the store with the money you have been spending on your hunt and buy some beans, rice, and pototoes, and milk..I'm not too sure about anyplace eles,,but Washington sure don't give any free tags, or free gas to go out ang kill anything to feed your family...

Now as far as this ethic thing goes..Some people think that its not ethical to blow a deer, or elks head off,,but to give a B and C size animal an enima with a 300 mag. until they drop is quite ETHICAL..I just say what ever..If your happy with the shot then good shot...So as far as poaching, and ethics in the same context,, not even close..Shooting a deer out of the car window?? If its leagle go for it,,if you don't feel thats its right don't do it.. Your ethics might not be the same as mine...You were probly raised different than me, but that don't make me more ethical than you, or vise-a-versa...Just an examlpe for y'all..My daughers god father is a trophy hunter,, the bigger the head the better...My trophy is the meat value(if its leagle its dead)..I kill more deer and elk than he does..I have more antlers, on my wall than he. Hes not much into the meat hunting like I am,,and I'm not into killing just for the head( when he or his boys gets an animal the do eat the meat, except for his Carabou)I'll kill a doe, my daughter will kill a doe,,,he and his sons will not..Ethics from both ends of the candle...

Back to the subject,,poaching is poaching,,,and I'm will to bet we are all guilty of sometype..

Hunterman(Tony)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back