Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Poacher arrows Bullwinkle in CO

Actually you would think in todays day and age that there was some kind of profit in it. lol
one-does-not-f489652569.jpg

If I was on a jury and this was the case, I would say:

We have a picture of a guy in camo
We have a picture of a live moose
We have a picture of a dead moose

What we don’t have is any proof…

Yes, but someone dumb enough to get close enough to shoot a moose with a bow either on accident thinking it's an elk or on purpose because he's a jerk, is also someone who will likely also quickly cave under a light cross examination by the prosecutor.

Yes, but someone dumb enough to get close enough to shoot a moose with a bow either on accident thinking it's an elk or on purpose because he's a jerk, is also someone who will likely also quickly cave under a light cross examination by the prosecutor.
You forget, there has been no prosecution, but he has been convicted here. I am not his defense counsel, I just see that without the trial and due process, he has been convicted.

If he did it, throw him in jail and fine the piss out of him, but there needs to be more evidence than what this jury has been given to convict him on…

Last edited:
You forget, there has been no prosecution, but he has been convicted here. I am not his defense counsel, I just see that without the trial and due process, he has been convicted.

If he did it, throw him in jail and find the piss out of him, but there needs to be more evidence than what this jury has been given to convict him on…
Did you eat Ben lambs brownies?

he's a person of interest. throwing the person of interest's face on the internet could definitely lead to more damning evidence, if not a confession.

You do realize there could he a whole lot more evidence this guy did kill the moose but CPW has not put it out- right?

“Could” will not get you a conviction. The story is incomplete, the killing of the moose is deplorable, but to jump to the absolute certainty that this guy is the poacher, is still premature.

The lead in on the story states:
CPW seeks public's help in identifying archer who poached a bull moose in Teller County

Then they ran the picture of the archer which gives you a perception that he is the poacher, and he may very well be. There is a high probability that he is, but I just withhold my judgement until the evidence proves he is such.

When he is proven guilty, he needs to be dealt with accordingly, until then the conviction that has been given him in this board is the issue I am addressing. I don’t support law breaking, but I do think due process needs to be exercised before the conviction…

When he is proven guilty, he needs to be dealt with accordingly, until then the conviction that has been given him in this board is the issue I am addressing. I don’t support law breaking, but I do think due process needs to be exercised before the conviction…

he hasn't been convicted of anything.

he's a person of interest. throwing the person of interest's face on the internet could definitely lead to more damning evidence, if not a confession.

Devil's advocate play. Placing a "person of interest" is an easy way to seriously harm an individual for the "collective good". Not saying "person's of interest" is a wrong means to collect information though sometimes it turns God awfully wrong for an American.

Just off of what I read here and the CWP, sure seems this guy is scum. though been more than a few harmed in the public eye due to immediate guilt of perception.

Last edited:
You do realize there could he a whole lot more evidence this guy did kill the moose but CPW has not put it out- right?

“Could” will not get you a conviction. The story is incomplete, the killing of the moose is deplorable, but to jump to the absolute certainty that this guy is the poacher, is still premature.

CPW seeks public's help in identifying archer who poached a bull moose in Teller County

Then they ran the picture of the archer which gives you a perception that he is the poacher, and he may very well be. There is a high probability that he is, but I just withhold my judgement until the evidence proves he is such.

Due process protects you from the government, not internet hunting forums

Cases and defense like this reminds me of all the times I've had defense attorneys cross examine me and say sh*t like:

Lawyer: "Officer, where were you on the the night of the crime?"

Me: "At home, off duty"

Lawyer: "So you didn't see my defendant commit (insert crime here)?"

Me: "No, these charges were the result of a year long investigation."

Lawyer: "SO YOU ADMIT YOU DID NOT WITNESS MY CLIENT BREAK THE LAW?!"

Me: 'Um.. yeah? If I did, I'd have arrested him then and saved us all a lot of time. "

Lawyer: "Let the record reflect this officer charged my client with a slew of crimes that he did not witness my client commit..."

Ya like I said CPW could have more evidence they have not put out yet. "perception" will not get you off.

Saying for certain he did not do it off an incomplete story is just silly.

Ya like I said CPW could have more evidence they have not put out yet. "perception" will not get you off.

Saying for certain he did not do it off an incomplete story is just silly.
Of course you are just making that statement arbitrarily, as I never suggested such a thing…

Of course you are just making that statement arbitrarily, as I never suggested such a thing…
No evidence has been presented that tjones said you did. How dare you be so blatant as to pass judgment without the evidence presented. You can't convict someone in your own mind like that.

If he did it, throw him in jail and fine the piss out of him, but there needs to be more evidence than what this jury has been given to convict him on…

I said nothing about him being prosecuted already, and in fact said nothing about the guy in the picture...remind me not to hire you as counsel if I need it.

the guy posted in the photo at start of this thread was in fact the guilty poacher.
Steven Samuelson from Oakley, Kansas.

Surprisingly he still has an easily found FB profile.

Kansan pleads guilty to poaching moose after public helps CPW track him down

0f0f0f10-877b-79db-219b-f9facb72a8fb.jpg
This image from a privately owned game camera showed Steven Samuelson of Oakley, Kan., as he stalked and illegally killed a bull moose in Teller County in September 2021. Samuelson pleaded guilty on July 10 to willful destruction of wildlife, a felony, and several lesser charges in the poaching incident. Photo courtesy of Colorado Parks and Wildlife
July 19, 2023
Kansan pleads guilty to poaching moose after public helps CPW track him down
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – After a near two-year investigation that included confronting a suspected poacher at his job in Kansas, Colorado Parks and Wildlife has secured a conviction in the case of a bull moose illegally killed in Teller County and left to rot.
The case ended July 10 when Steven Samuelson, 33, of Oakley, Kan., pleaded guilty in Teller County District Court to willful destruction of wildlife, a felony, as well as misdemeanor charges of hunting without a proper and valid big game license, aggravated illegal possession of wildlife, failure to prepare wildlife for human consumption, hunting in a careless manner and illegal take of wildlife.
Samuelson received a two year deferred jail sentence on the felony charge, meaning it will be waived if he meets the terms of the plea agreement, and two years unsupervised probation.
In addition, Samuelson was fined nearly $20,000 and surrendered the bow he used to poach the moose as well as other property that contained evidence of the crime including his cellphone. Samuelson also was assessed 65 points against his hunting license, with just 20 needed to suspend his hunting privileges.
CPW’s Tim Kroening, Area Wildlife Manager for the Pikes Peak region, praised the public for calling CPW when they suspected poaching. And he credited Samuelson’s plea agreement to the relentless investigative work by CPW officers who amassed overwhelming evidence against the Kansan.
“As the agency responsible for perpetuating the wildlife resources of the state, Colorado Parks and Wildlife will not tolerate poaching,” Kroening said. “Our officers are determined to stop people like Mr. Samuelson who think they can simply go kill any animal they like. I want to make it clear: Mr. Samuelson was not a hunter. He is a poacher.”
The investigation began in September 2021 when CPW’s office in Colorado Springs received a report that someone had illegally shot a bull moose with an arrow in the woods north of Divide.
CPW Officers Aaron Berscheid, Travis Sauder and Ben Meier responded to the area to investigate and were led to the remains of the mature bull moose by the reporting parties.
The CPW team concluded a suspected poacher had shot the moose and then attempted to remove the head of the animal. Ultimately, the suspect laid tree branches and sticks across the carcass in an attempt to hide it.
Officers collected physical evidence from the site including photos and video from the reporting party’s game cameras which pinpointed the time of the incident and provided photos of the suspect.
“This moose was treated unethically and that is something we take very seriously,” said Sauder, assistant area wildlife manager for the Pikes Peak region. “We are fortunate members of the public share our passion for wildlife and helped us catch the poacher.
“We rely on honest sportspeople to help us solve these types of cases.”
Besides the public’s help, CPW used old-fashioned police work to track Samuelson down. The investigation reached a climax when Sauder and Meier drove to Kansas where they worked with members of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks to confront Samuelson at work and execute a search warrant to gather valuable evidence at Samuelson’s Oakley home.
Kroening and Sauder praised the assistance their team received from the original reporting parties who hiked them to the moose, the Colorado Springs Police Department for helping access evidence on Samuelson's phone, and prosecutors with the Fourth Judicial District Attorney's office for moving the case forward and securing the plea agreement.
“Moose have become an iconic part of the Colorado landscape and have flourished since being reintroduced in 1978,” Kroening said. “The current population is estimated to be near 3,000 animals and they have spread throughout the state.
“While this creates many wonderful opportunities to photograph, view and hunt these animals, it has also created temptation among some to illegally poach these animals. The Samuelson case, and others, show CPW is determined to stop future poachers.”
Have information of a possible crime against wildlife? Call CPW, or report it anonymously to Operation Game Thief, or OGT. Reach OGT by calling, toll-free, 1-877-COLO-OGT (or 877-265-6648). Verizon users can dial #OGT. Or email CPW at [email protected].
A $500 reward is offered for information on cases involving big game or endangered species, while $250 is offered for information on turkey and $100 for fishing and small game cases.
A Citizens Committee administers the reward fund, which is maintained by private contributions. The board may approve rewards of up to $1,000 for flagrant cases. Rewards are paid for information that leads to an arrest or a citation being issued.
To learn more about Operation Game Thief, visit theCPW website.
###

PHOTO CAPTIONS

A privately owned game camera captured still photos and images showing Steven Samuelson of Oakley, Kan., as he stalked and illegally killed a bull moose in Teller County in September 2021.

Another image shows Samuelson's attempt to cover up the carcass after he abandoned his effort to remove the head.

Samuelson pleaded guilty on July 10 to willful destruction of wildlife, a felony, and several lesser charges in the poaching incident.

Photos courtesy of Colorado Parks and Wildlife
d9279796-f4ab-a830-c585-a8788b0b2a5b.jpg

da88c95f-3993-4930-aee9-e78f69565e1a.jpg
8d76a99a-0bde-22a7-6ed5-e41b259ca0e6.jpg

096788eb-30bb-c930-5d6f-8d6a14d9e2bc.jpg

It’s just so nonsensical. That’s what amazes me. I understand poaching an animal because you need it to feed yourself or your family. I don’t understand just shooting things.

I also understand “heat of the moment” scenarios. I can see missing a bull elk with an arrow and accidentally killing a cow. When I say I can see I mean someone inexperienced that just got flustered. But a bull moose, shot and left…….. that’s too dumb to comprehend. It’s worse than shooting a stray husky pup and posting about smoking a wolf pup.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back