Please Read- Need A Little Help

AWESOME, Congrats to Dan on his elk, i cant wait to see the pics. CritterGitter, i think a lot of people could learn a thing or two from you, you did an amazing thing putting as much time and effort into making a young mans dream come true. My Hat is off to you sir, congrats on your harvest and may you have many more.
Lucas

This has been an amazing story to follow, congrats to you and Dan. I'm sure everyone will be checking back often to see the pics. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Dan!

Absolutely first and formost, i'm sendng out a HUGE thank you to all the guys that have spent time trying to help us find a place to go this season.............it ended up being much tougher than I thought but I can say everyone's efforts paid off in huge ways!!

This whole process has sure openend my eyes even more as to the most important things in life and the things most of us will take for granted every single day. To that I thank Dan himself for allowing me to be a big part of this hunting season for him.

I won't sit here and specifically thank each person that has been there to help when it was needed because i would seriously be here for 4 hrs naming them all. And I've been reprimanded in the past for thanking people publicly so I'm just going with a huge thank you to all.

Wow!!!

This is awesome.

I'm speechless. Glad it all came together.

Sounds like karma paid a little dividend with an elk in the bag for you too! And with your son in tow. Doesn't get much better.

Thank you for your generosity and the same for all those who helped out. Way to go guys and gals!!

~AO

Well, we started off by meeting at the local gas station and then heading out to the area we had permission to hunt. As soon as we got out there, things were lookin up as we spotted a huge group of elk. Problem was, there were some bulls but they were all in the middle of the crowd. Also, the 25-30 mph winds were not exactly fantastic either. We glassed up another smaller group way off so we went out there to check em out. This group was smaller but still about 40 head. We found one really nice 6 point in the bunch so we hiked out as close as we could.
I pulled out the rangefinder and got a range on the bull, 470 yards. With this rifle, that was a no problem shot on most days, the 30mph crosswind made it a very iffy shot especially with all the others around it. We decided to hike back and come back later if we couldn't find anything else.
We headed to a spot about 2 miles away and glassed up a group of 8 bulls all by themselves. I saw there was 3 six points and they were in a much better position for a stalk. So I told Dan to look them over and see if there was any in there he would like to shoot. Apparently it was a no brainer to Dan as he had looked about a half second and said , heck yea, i'd shoot any of those:D
So, off we were to make the stalk out there, there wasn't much cover so we were doing a belly crawl for a couple hundred yards to get to this little stack of straw bales that had been left at the edge of a field. Once we successfully made it to the bales ( a little suprised of that i might add) i peeked over the top to get a range. 190. Perfect!

I studied all the bulls as Dan got ready to shoot. We had decided that the two biggest bulls were hard to tell apart so whichever one gave us the first shot would get the hammer.

After 30 minutes of waiting for them to stand up........................game was on!

Attachments

• Dan elk bout to shoot.jpg
    Dan elk bout to shoot.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 373
The bull finally stopped broadside and we both confirmed the readyness. BOOM! and it was lights out for mister sixer............

Attachments

• dan elk through scope.jpg
    dan elk through scope.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 369
Guessing this is what a happy elk hunter looks like after seeing a bull like that hit the dirt:):):D

Attachments

• Dan Elk just shot.jpg
    Dan Elk just shot.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 372
And a couple hero shots to top off the day!!!!!

And what a hero Dan is to all of us as one of the great people who served as a marine for all of us to be able to do this thing we call hunting every day. What a positive outlook he has on his situation and I thank him for giving all efforts this season to this hunt even when he wasn't feeling well

I will certainly be giving thanks today on this Thanksgiving day for the chance to spend time with a great guy, and being able to be a part of this great elk he took!

Happy Thanksgiving to Everybody!!!

Attachments

• Dan Elk 2.jpg
    Dan Elk 2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 371
  • Dan elk 3.jpg
    Dan elk 3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 369
  • Dan Elk 1.jpg
    Dan Elk 1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 371
WOW, Unbelievable bull of a lifetime. I am so pumped for Dan and this will be something that his family will remember for the rest of their lives. Crittergitter, the sacrifice that you made to make sure that Dan came home with a bull is truly amazing. My hat is off to you and your family. As like you said they had to make sacrifices as well to allow you to give it all to help Dan out.

My thoughts and prayers will be with Dan and his family. Thanks for sharing this journey that you and Dan went through to get him an elk.

Thanks!
Kevin

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Montana WSF
Back