PEAX Equipment

Please BEAR with me, 2024 is going to be full of unBEARable surprises!!!

Pay attention Montana - If you really want to know about your mule deer herds, you should probably hire an Alaska wildlife biologist as an advisor on how to do it
We'd have to raise NR fees to adequately pay for an Alaskan bio. 😂

Back to the awesome story! Again, great adventure for you and your wife! Absolutely awesome following along. Appreciate the time placed to share your journey.

Bruiser bear! Wow!

Grats and thanks!

Note to self - do not use big old bears to make ham. It did not turn out well. Even after cooking low and slow in smoker for 13 hours, she is still tough as ever. Taste is great and brining did its job but its a "chewy" ham no doubt. Guess the rest of him will be grind.

Note to self - do not use big old bears to make ham. It did not turn out well. Even after cooking low and slow in smoker for 13 hours, she is still tough as ever. Taste is great and brining did its job but its a "chewy" ham no doubt. Guess the rest of him will be grind.

I found that bears cook best low and slow with a lot of moisture in a crockpot or an oven. It always took 8-12 hours in water or broth to break the collagen between the muscles down and get it tender.

I bet if you put that ham into a crockpot with liquid of your choice for several hours it would soften up.

I found that bears cook best low and slow with a lot of moisture in a crockpot or an oven. It always took 8-12 hours in water or broth to break the collagen between the muscles down and get it tender.

I bet if you put that ham into a crockpot with liquid of your choice for several hours it would soften up.
I might just give that a try because I shaved off some pieces for a sandwich today and the samples I had while cutting were not what I was expecting. In the past, never had an issue with Moose/Elk/Deer hams.

Back