Please BEAR with me, 2024 is going to be full of unBEARable surprises!!!

7 years after first securing the POW tag, we found out last year we are finally headed back. Yesterday, postcard arrived for our home state draw. 11 years of points burned.

View attachment 313705
Congrats, please excuse my ignorance but I thought AK results aren't out for a couple weeks and didn't think think they had points? Is there some kind of come home to hunt program like MT or what am I missing? Thanks

Congrats, please excuse my ignorance but I thought AK results aren't out for a couple weeks and didn't think think they had points? Is there some kind of come home to hunt program like MT or what am I missing? Thanks
No, those results were from last spring for the spring hunt this year. No points, it's random and it takes that long to finally hit and get the tag these days mostly due I think to all of Randy's videos of hunting there :( Back when we started to try and get the tag 9 years ago, the odds were about 75% I believe. It's more like 10% now.

Last edited:
No, those results were from last spring for the spring hunt this year. No points, it's random and it takes that long to finally hit and get the tag these days mostly due I think to all of Randy's videos of hunting there :(
Spring hunt, copy! Good luck, threw in for caribou and bison for first time this year and got a little confused when I saw this.

What's your method for Wisconsin? I've got 5 points, and hoping hounds are still a thing when I draw.
Starting 4th of July weekend we will be baiting. We will be running 3 baits on relative private property and then another 3 on public lands. Bought 2 55 gal drums of bait already and will need probably 2 or 3 more.

We do have a very close family friend that does run his hounds. If he doesn't have people to run with his dogs in season we may have that option. It's not an easy hunt with hounds but it can be exciting. It's just a pretty boring hunt because you sit in the truck all day following the dogs

Good luck on your adventures this year. A few thoughts to bear in mind!

Do you have enough bear space on the wall for the mounts? Hopefully the door is bearly wide enough to squeeze them through.
No mounts. It has crossed our minds to perhaps do something cool with all 4 hides shall we go 4/4. Maybe a large blanket for the couch

Congrats, I hunted that area with hounds 5 years ago near the Belden swamp.
Bait is a great way to go if you don’t want to wade through a tamarack bog neck deep, holding your rifle over your head.
I have a zone D tag this year and will be baiting just across the border.

Good luck on your hunt. I hunted unit 3 several years ago. There are a lot of bears up there. It's a shame word got out and the draw odds got tanked.....sigh.

Been there before, elk came first and never hunted my bear tag. I might be there again this year if I draw Wyoming. Let em grow, In Wisconsin, I guess.
Looks like we are just going end up doing a bunch of the bear hunting in late Sept. The area we are at doesn't have massive amounts of ag fields so there are less corn fields to draw the bears away in Sept

Back