Plans for Dove opener

Dawn in the dove field. Excellent opening morning hunt, we had 36 hunters this year and killed 394 birds. I got called away for a minor family emergency and didn’t get a chance to take pictures of the midday feed and all the kiddos. The future of hunting is bright here. If anyone ever invites you to hunt a cut hemp field do it. This is our 2nd year of industrial hemp production and I’ve never seen a better dove attractant in my 43 yrs of dove hunting.View attachment 237497
Is there any residual flavor in the meat followed by the munchies? Asking for a friend

Sunflowers await us at my friend's farm and we have to wait til noon. Gonna be hot so I will look for a shady spot to put my folding chair and blind bag. Good luck all, and laugh at the empties you pile up.

Dawn breaks to the East just now and I'm sitting here on my duff in my boxers. Leaving shortly for my son's property to shoot passers if there are any. Nearest public land isn't tended for crops so is of little use for dove hunters. Pay shoots are hitting around $100.00 per day.....kiss my butt!
I'll sit in my chair in the shade cradling my LC Smith and either get a few shots or get a bit of sleep; either way I feel I'm the winner.

Happy pup.
52332019646_fa5125ca66_3k.jpg

Got out after work Thursday and met a buddy who got there 2 hours before me. Birds stopped flying 30min before I showed up. Fired 1 shot in 2 hours

Texas opener was Thursday. Got 6 then and another 6 this morning. I need practice...

12 opening day in CO in public land. Changed things up this year and went to a different spot we had been scouting. Surprisingly few people around with a couple guys showing up later in the morning. Coulda shot a lot more if I was any good.

Attachments

• 4F20B314-098A-44A7-A994-A3859D4265E9.jpeg
    4F20B314-098A-44A7-A994-A3859D4265E9.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 3
My son and I both limited out opening day in the heat and high humidity. he's the quick shot I'm long shot. The 3 other guys dropped another 20. My friend who owns the farm never heard of Dove poppers. Saturday evening great food great friends.

The birds we had on sunflowers two weeks ago disappeared and we figure they went to a spot around the corner that got cleared for greenhouses. 20 acres of new grass seed is a powerful draw. Between eight of us we knocked down two and recovered one. I think we shot maybe a box of shells between all of us.

Oh well,we still had fun and hot dogs on the grill hit the spot. If we get time to burn maybe they will return.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back