Plans for 2023

I’ve resolved to drive over and spend more time in the Beartooths once the weather warms. Maybe even try to finally take the rifle for a hike pretending like I’ll see sheep in the unlimiteds.

Idaho archery elk and deer tags in hand
“should” draw UT archery elk
swing for the fences NM/AZ/WY/NV draws
Reissue CO elk/deer/antelope
Some sort of packraft hunt to break in the new rafts.

Spring
FL for largemouth in February
NZ for tahr, chamois & stag - Early May
AK for spring bear with my wife - Late May

Fall
AK for Moose first week of October unless I draw caribou or Roosevelt Elk in AK.

I’ll apply/fill in the rest of the fall based my Alaska trip. I have a decent chance at some tags, but if I strike out in UT, NM and AZ elk Ill look into cashing in my AZ deer points. Id also really love to do a CO deer hunt if I can get a returned tag that’ll fit in my schedule. We’ll see how it all comes together.

Gonna head to Oklahoma to hunt hogs in March with my brother. Once April hits will start hunting Turkeys in Montana and Colorado. In May I will start hunting bears in Montana. As far as applications go it will be
Deer in MT, CO, AZ
Elk in MT, CO, AZ, NM
Pronghorn in MT, CO
Sheep in MT, CO
Goat in MT, CO
Moose in MT, CO, ID
If I can get it to work out I may try and get to West TX for Aoudad in February but so far that isn't set in stone.
I'm heading up to SE Montana for turkey for the First time this spring! Do you have a lot of experience in that region? I've been escouting and reading as much as I can off the Montana website. Lots of good info there. I was looking at custer national... Ever hunted there? Lots of traffic?

Live.
Keep beating this cancer back to the recesses. Keep gaining weight & muscle mass.
Keep Rio healthy too. He's on new food & supplements and doing good.
Get my porches built. Fine tune the plans for the shop.
Get way ahead on firewood again.
Hopefully draw a NM elk tag again.
Fill it again. Here on my place.
Live.

1. NV desert bighorn
2. AZ desert bighorn
3. MT RM bighorn
4. CO desert bighorn
5. CO mountain goat
6. (maybe) WY bighorn

Just depends on the draws.
just curious how many points for needed to draw i have never looked?

Where I'm at: I should have the time, money, points to do SOMETHING in Colorado or Wyoming this year.

My main focus is to get my wife an antelope tag. Secondary focus is to get ME an antelope tag.

Strong considerations of a Colorado deer or elk tag as point creep insurance. We'll play the New Mexico game first.

That said, we've got a few super exciting hunts that are likely to happen this year besides my usual deer hunting around the house and other parts of the state.

It's very possible my wife will draw an alligator tag this year. (We are at the same point level but I'm holding out for a different region (unit), because I am hoping to hunt a very specific alligator.)

For me, I almost certainly will draw a tag for a deer hunt on a beautiful piece of public here in GA (open to archery but rifle is draw only and takes a few years to draw). I haven't talked about it much but it looks like this will be the year.

I burned my Wyoming elk points, so that will likely be the best tag I ever draw in Wyoming. Elk, deer, and maybe antelope in MT. I hope I get lucky and also draw one of the big 3 in Montana.

A hip replacement and hopefully a nice recovery for bow season. If not it will be waterfowl and maybe antelope if I draw.

Couple Midwest whitetail hunts and depending on my luck some western mule deer this year. Keep plugging away on some other points

Largest Hunting Fishing show in the East this coming week in Harrisburg PA. MIght get a westren hunt booked,for what is the big question.

Most likely a Colorado mule deer with my son and hopefully an archery any deer tag in north dakota. Otherwise deer and turkey locally.
Step-daughter won a guided bear hunt here in WI, burned her points and drew a kill tag. Probably gonna run a couple baits just in case and to get them reestablished for the wife, so she can hunt next year.

I'm heading up to SE Montana for turkey for the First time this spring! Do you have a lot of experience in that region? I've been escouting and reading as much as I can off the Montana website. Lots of good info there. I was looking at custer national... Ever hunted there? Lots of traffic?
Not a lot hunted it a couple of times and done pretty well. There are birds on public but they are spread out and isolated gotta do a lot of scouting. I usually spend most of my season in the NW part of the state because I enjoy the mountain birds a lot and I can always switch gears and go after bears if I get frustrated. Plus I usually jump over to Idaho and hunt with my wife's family in order to get a few more turkey hunts in.

Back