Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pin distance

I am trying a dual track this year the vertical pin is such a cleaner sight picture. Pins are 20/37 which allows top to shot anything 6-30 and bottom to be anything in 30s with minimal but clean gap on pins. Sight lets me dial out further than i will ever even shot at a target, pretty slick and perfect for elk the way i hunt.
I have almost switched to this set up many times. It makes a lot of sense.

Some sight brackets will let you adjust length from riser which will help pin gap some.

I am trying a dual track this year the vertical pin is such a cleaner sight picture. Pins are 20/37 which allows top to shot anything 6-30 and bottom to be anything in 30s with minimal but clean gap on pins. Sight lets me dial out further than i will ever even shot at a target, pretty slick and perfect for elk the way i hunt.
I did the same this yr. It’s been pretty slick during practice rounds. We’ll see how I do when I add in the excitement shakes 😂

Personal preference, but my bows are 8 pin. Seven fixed pins 35 thru 95 with one mover 20 thru 100 if I have the time & opportunity to adjust & shoot single pin. I leave my single mover pin on 25 when shooting fixed.

I have pins set at 20 30 40 50 60 70 80. The 40 and 60 pins are red the others are green. That makes it easy to locate the pin you need when you're in a hurry and helps to eliminate confusion.

My longest shot on a deer was 42 yards and elk 35 yards.

I'm shooting a 2012 fixed 5 pin setup and my 20 and 30 are real close

I'd love to have a floating pin for above 60. As it is now my bubble level is 90 and I stack pins for 70 and 80

Solely in the name of being a contrarian-- I shoot a single-pin that I typically leave set on 27 yards. That gives me MPBR out to about 32 yards but this is the best piece of wisdom I ever heard on a dial sight: If you have time to shoot, you have time to range (and presumably dial).

Back when I used a compound I had 3 pins. 15-30-45. It was an 1985 bow only runnin around 225 fps. I went back to my old instinctive recurve.

For a 3 pin, 30, 40, and 50. Unless you have the slowest bow in the world, there’s zero reason to have your top pin closer than 30 yards.

I shoot one pin set on 30 yards and can shoot 0-40 yards without touching my dial and still hold on the deer.

Solely in the name of being a contrarian-- I shoot a single-pin that I typically leave set on 27 yards.

Bingo, same exact thing I do. I do have an HHA slider that I do have yardages dialed for, but at least for whitetail it’s cranked tight at 25-27. Holdover out to 40, any farther than that they walk.

I run a single pin adjustable. Too many pins just throws me off in crunch time. I can adjust 20-80. Most of the time it’s set on 30, if I don’t have time to slide it I can shoot 20-60 floating off 30. It took me a lot of practice getting down the holdover with it set at 30, but feel comfortable now.

Lots of ways to do it but if you’re new to archery, I would focus on a setup that is simple for now. 20,30,40 fixed would be a good setup to start with and get some experience. Archery really is the most awesome at close range and really trying not to screw up at close range is what I would focus on so simple and easy is my .02 on it.

I've yet to jump on the slider bandwagon for hunting. I can see how if you have an extra guaranteed 10 seconds to use a rangefinder and make an adjustment, it would be better every time. Those could be an important and unguaranteed 10 seconds though. I like to have the reference of the other pins if I have to take a second shot or two, if the animal moves, etc,

Change my mind.

5 Pin here.... 25,35,45,55,65. I have found anything from 5 to 25 yards is the same pin and doesn't make a difference for elk sized game.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back