PEAX Equipment

Pin distance

5 Pin here.... 25,35,45,55,65. I have found anything from 5 to 25 yards is the same pin and doesn't make a difference for elk sized game.
I did something similar one year, against using muscle memory 10/20 yard increments. It's the only time I've ever picked the wrong pin on an animal while hunting, and I bounced an arrow off the top of a bull elk's back - that's likely the biggest bull I've ever shot an arrow at.

I've yet to jump on the slider bandwagon for hunting. I can see how if you have an extra guaranteed 10 seconds to use a rangefinder and make an adjustment, it would be better every time. Those could be an important and unguaranteed 10 seconds though. I like to have the reference of the other pins if I have to take a second shot or two, if the animal moves, etc,

Change my mind.
depends on the game, I shoot better with a single-pin slider but probably 75% of the time on elk I don't have time to range, I went from a 7 pin set up exactly as yours to a 3-pin slider set 0-30, 40, 50 and dialable to 120 and shoot better with it in general, I figure if it's past 50 I probably have time to range and dial, plus having exact yardage dialed up and using a pin centered in the pin guard is nice when it gets long, and on the other side having less pins is nice when trying to decide quickly on a mover at 40-50...

On spot and stalk muley's I find a single pin to be great, pretty much nothing is happening fast on a 5 hour stalk and I've always had plenty of time to range and dial,same with treestand whitetail, 90% of things there are top pin...

I've yet to jump on the slider bandwagon for hunting. I can see how if you have an extra guaranteed 10 seconds to use a rangefinder and make an adjustment, it would be better every time. Those could be an important and unguaranteed 10 seconds though. I like to have the reference of the other pins if I have to take a second shot or two, if the animal moves, etc,

Change my mind
100% agree

Change my mind.
I generally agree with you and I shot a 7 pin fixed sight for a long time for the very reasons you do. However I shoot a 4 pin slider now. The main benefits for me would be a little clearer sight window with less pins, better target acquisition and better awareness of the target also Less pins to mess up and pick the wrong one. And for shots at longer distance than my bottom pin, it makes me slow down which is actually better for me at the farther distances. This makes me more disciplined and a better archer. However these are fairly trivial benefits imo and I would have no issue picking up my backup bow and going hunting 7 pin fixed

Change my mind.
I have very similar thoughts. I’ve shot most of my elk in very quick developing situations; I think I’ve only ranged two prior to the shot

I do like the thought behind the option archery sights where you get a full set of pins but can flip them out of the way to go single pin. The price and already owning some great multi pin sights have kept me from trying one

I use a 5 pin set to 20-30-40-50-60. Although I am now considering changing it to 25-35-45-55-65. I'm not sure. Alot of years of the 10s burned in my memory. Changing to on the 5s might get confusing. But it would be nice to have everything under 25 on one pin

I’m a simple 20,30,40,50,60. I do have the slider and have a hand written 70 line but I can hardly put a 5” group at 50 yards consistently so I try not shooting animals much past 35-45yds.

I use a 5 pin set to 20-30-40-50-60. Although I am now considering changing it to 25-35-45-55-65. I'm not sure. Alot of years of the 10s burned in my memory. Changing to on the 5s might get confusing. But it would be nice to have everything under 25 on one pin
That's why I use it... also just my personal experience but everything I seem to range seems to be 36 or 37 yards. 44 yards or 47 yards. Always closer to the 5 than the 0. Just my experience and didn't overthink it too much. Just started at 25 and went up.

I used a 5 pin set up for a long time,(20-60yds), have since switched to a single pin slider, much easier for me now as I get older.

On my recurve I have two, top at 15 mtrs, bottom at 25 and 20 is in the middle. Figure I can get to 30 with holdover.
The problem is I'm going to change everything around shortly for upcoming hunt, start with new fast string, go to all aluminium arrows and that means alter the pins, fun days ahead.

Replaced my Trophy Ridge React 5 pin with a Throphy Ridge single pin Digital React. Set it up using my arrow speed and it is super easy to use. I am shooting inside 6inches at 80yds. I use the 5 pin as my back-up if needed.

I had a 4, 5 and 7 pin, with top pins always at 20 and then every 10 yards out. I changed mine to a single pin last December. From 20-90. It's very dialed in. However, because of the extra movement required to turn it to the right distance when hunting, I will probably run it at 30 or 35. If the deer is within 10 yards of 30-35, I'm going to aim a tad high or low. I've practiced this at the range to understand difference in a 20 or 40 yard target with site set at 30. If it's beyond 40, I think I'd be far enough away to make the adjustment without getting busted...hopefully

20 - 30 - 40 with the bottom pin a slider.

I shoot a fairly heavy arrow so I'm not comfortable skipping the 20 pin.

In my opinion, if the animal is more than 30, it needs to be holding pretty still, which means you have time to range and dial.

Change my mind.
that is my reasoning too, but, I'll be honest, I find myself going "20.30.40.50.60" counting down the pins when I'm target shooting and that takes time also.

I will follow up on earlier post since greenbeaver posted his sight for comparison sake: Pin clutter always bugged and counting yardage pins down with a bull in front of me, so I went from a 5 pin to a dual trac vertical pin, so much better sight picture for me. Intend to use green pin for almost all shots, red is the walking away pin. At base setting (20/37) zero adjustments needed or even hold overs inside 42 yards. Lots of quality designs in sights today
IMG_20230817_161027.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back