PEAX Equipment

Pin distance

I will follow up on earlier post since greenbeaver posted his sight for comparison sake: Pin clutter always bugged me so I went from a 5 pin to a dual trac vertical pin, so much better sight picture for me. Intend to use green pin for almost all shots, red is the walking away pin. At base setting (20/37) zero adjustments needed or even hold overs inside 42 yards. Lots of quality designs in sights today
View attachment 288224
May try something like that sometime. Can think of many many times where I felt like it was a rush to take the shot and had I dialed, it would not have happened.

I will follow up on earlier post since greenbeaver posted his sight for comparison sake: Pin clutter always bugged and counting yardage pins down with a bull in front of me, so I went from a 5 pin to a dual trac vertical pin, so much better sight picture for me. Intend to use green pin for almost all shots, red is the walking away pin. At base setting (20/37) zero adjustments needed or even hold overs inside 42 yards. Lots of quality designs in sights today
View attachment 288224
Good sight, not too busy. I should try and shoot a vertical pin sight.

Seems like just getting one of these should fix all the problems and you will never have to worry. Screenshot_20230818_081521_Chrome.jpg

I think the best, non- whitetail BG pin set up is 25-35-45 with your 45 being a floating pin that you can dial.

I have archery hunted the Midwest and West...deer, turkey, elk, antelope. I also enjoy off-season 3D shooting (rec, non-competitive). I have had many different setups but have settled on 4-pin dovetail mounted Black Gold Ascents. Gives you a fixed sight to 50 yards (20, 30, 40, 50)...dial to distance after that. I've settled on 0.019 green/amber/green for the 20, 30 & 40...then a 0.010 red for my 50 and beyond.

Like others mentioned, it depends on your bow set up and how comfortable you get at shooting distances. As with anything the more practice, the more comfortable you will be.

That said, I'd sacrifice the last pin and shift them all to get some space between the first and the bubble. Get some visibility in there!
My pins are set with precision accuracy, as is. This will explain it to you.
My 70 yard pin is dead center in the pin housing and it’s red. The other 6 pins are yellow. 20,40,60 80,90,100. The different colored center 70 makes it really fast to pick the right pin.

I made my sons bow fit me and it has a 5 pin model. 20,40, 60, 70, 80.

Just my 2 Cents. I am running a 2 pin vertical pin sight right now from BG. I like it but have shot a 3 pin horizontal sight. The 3 pin felt better to me. Having the 20, 30, and 40 locked down with the slider available for further shots seem to impress me as a great setup. Some might say that the 20,30,40 setup isnt right for them. It suits me as I have never had to shoot an animal with a bow further than 30yds. Most of my shots are setup for a shooting distance of 40 and under. It would be rare for me to have to shoot beyond 40yds.

I was impressed by IQs new sight that they just released, the hunter model. It's a horizontal 3 pin that the top 2 pins are fixed and the third is a slider. If I didn't already have a good sight I'd probably pick one of those up

I have a 5 pin sight. 20-30-40. Are the top three. Those are all I use anymore. I limit my shots at deer to the 30 yard range. 40 would be an emergency pin. Lol 20 years ago I was good to 50 easy. Closer the better now.

I shoot a single pin slider but have added marks on my pin so that I can shoot 0 to 45 yards without having to move my pin. It works well for me.

Used to shoot with fice pins @ 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60.

Five pins was too much for me and had issues focusing on my target. I've been shooting a single adjustable pin for the past four years and it improved my accuracy the moment I switched.

Back