PEAX Equipment

Pike on the Fly

Gellar

I have had a wild hair all winter, that when springtime finally arrives I want to try and catch a pike on my fly rod. The ice is starting to flow and is opening up, we should be able to get our boats on the main channel of the Mississippi by the weekend. I have an 9' 8# flyrod that is not perfect but I think it will be capable of accomplishing this task. I ordered some RIO Toothy Critter leaders and have an assortment of pike flies. Does anyone fly fish for Pike? Any tactics or gear that you can recommend. I am not looking for a 40" my goal is to catch 1 pike on a fly and than go from there! Thanks in advance!

I can't provide too much info. I've take exactly 1 pike on a fly... it was about a 23-24" northern out of the Bitterroot river in MT last October. I don't see anything wrong with an 8wt for pike. I took mine on a 6wt...

The suggestion's I'd have, use Big, Flashy flies.

I caught mine on a Galloup's T&A Bunker in Rainbow. It is completely unweighted, so... Either add some lead in front or fish it on a sink tip.

http://www.slideinn.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=32

Fish fairly close to structure with HEAVY fluorocarbon tippet, or wire. Fluorocarbon is more abrasion resistant than mono...

Another couple options for flies you could try...

http://www.slideinn.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=41

This is a crazy fly designed to be fished on a sink tip. It will roll in the water almost like a big daredevel spoon and it floats.... Supposed to be a great pattern for predatory fish.

http://www.slideinn.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=592

They tie this fly in two sizes, the 1/0 articulated would be a fantastic option for pike. should be at least 6" long...

http://www.slideinn.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=910

The Double Deceiver is another Big fly that should prove to be fishy for big pike.

Also, don't over look big clouser minnows, deer hair divers and any other Big, Interesting looking flies that come your way. I probably wouldn't fish anything shorter than 5-6" long for pike.

Hope this helps!! and Good luck on your quest!!

You are in for a treat. It has been a couple years but for a few summers I was targeting pike quite a bit with my fly rod. They are a blast and a nice change of pace from the grayling I usually catch. I never caught anything over 8-10 lbs but even at that size with a fly rod they're plenty fun. A steel leader is a must, as you've covered. Fly selection wise, I never found them to be terribly picky. Any white / silver with red streamer seemed to do the trick for me. Pick something that looks similar to the bait fish in the area. The first couple times I tried it I had lots of follows but few strikes. A friend suggested greatly speeding up my retrieve. That did the trick, almost seems to trigger them to strike whether they want to or not. Target shallow bays with mud bottoms, those areas warm up the quickest. That's where you'll find the most active fish as the ice goes off. Have fun!

One other thing you can try. Instead of just a strip retrieve, you can use the rod to twitch the fly and strip in the slack. IME this tends to impart a bit more action to the fly than just stripping the fly.

One other thing you can try. Instead of just a strip retrieve, you can use the rod to twitch the fly and strip in the slack. IME this tends to impart a bit more action to the fly than just stripping the fly.

I agree. A more erratic retrieve with twitching or jerking seemed to impart more action and trigger more strikes than just a straight strip retrieve.

Early spring when there is still some ice on the water is the best time for catching big northerns - especially in rivers on a fly rod. I typically find most river northerns laid up in shallower, warmer water this time of year. Stealthy approaches to sloughs and frog water should get you in the action. Cast up against sunny banks or back into sloughs without making your presence known. Big northerns can spook easily if approached too closely with a motor, especially in shallower water. We would pole our boats back into sloughs to "sneak" in on monster river northerns. My experience on rivers has been that one bang on the bottom of the boat or a loud prop coming too close will put big northerns down, out of sight and make them refuse to eat. Seems like most any streamer should do depending on water clarity. Mix your retrieves up until you figure out whether they are hitting the fast or slower retrieves on that particular day. I've found that northerns really like a fly to be in constant motion - even if it means you pause on your retrieve and let the fly sink or flutter. My favorite retrieve for northerns on stripped streamers is a repeating series of two short fast strips followed by two longer and slower strips (quick, quick, pause, slow, slow). Play around with your retrieve speeds and don't be afraid to slock some casts into water that looks too shallow to hold anything. If your water clarity is good I would refrain from using any wire-type leaders and would just go with a short mono leader. (3' long out of higher test mono.) Make certain your streamers are swimming true and then cast away. Don't be afraid to cast at the bank or within inches of the bank. Seems like I've caught a pile of early spring northerns that were just camped out tight against river banks, especially on the side most warmed by the sun. Don't be afraid to throw some weight or a sinking line on to dredge some of the deeper holes. Also, throw smaller buggers on if the big streamers aren't getting any love. Some of the biggest northerns I've caught were on smaller flies. Have fun and stick a big fish, Cody

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I am not a fly tier but I purchased a bunch of pike flies today clouser minnows, leaches, scalpins, and more. I will be on the Mississippi River so it gets plenty muddy. We are catching pike on tip ups through the ice in shallow bays and there is still 20+ inches of ice but it has been in the 50s all week and the ice is going fast. I will try the shallow bays we catch them through the ice first. I have been reading and watching videos about retrieval speed, everything was just as you all said it depends on the fish!

Hopefully I accomplish this goal relatively fast, my next goal for the Spring is a public land tom, Brooke trout and a morel mushroom all in the same day.

A slippery slope my friend, I only wanted to catch one pike on the fly to say I did it. Now all I can think about is bunny hair and 2/0 hooks. My favorite fly is a 6" bunny hair leech with large eyes in a epoxy head. All of my big fish have been caught on a slow and I mean SLOW retrieve. Seems the big fish are lazy and want to suck the leech off the bottom. Neutral buoyancy flies or flies with a slow sink rate also help. Make sure your line can throw 6" waterlogged rabbit, rio toothy critter leaders are the best!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've been thinking a trip with these guys might be in order at some point..............

http://mstpa.com/

I'm fairly certain, though not 100%, that this is who they were fishing with in that youtube video...

The outfit looks top notch, I checked the guides page and they have an internship for college students. That would be a sweet internship! I wonder if my wife will let me go back to school just for the internship?

A slippery slope my friend, I only wanted to catch one pike on the fly to say I did it. Now all I can think about is bunny hair and 2/0 hooks. My favorite fly is a 6" bunny hair leech with large eyes in a epoxy head. All of my big fish have been caught on a slow and I mean SLOW retrieve. Seems the big fish are lazy and want to suck the leech off the bottom. Neutral buoyancy flies or flies with a slow sink rate also help. Make sure your line can throw 6" waterlogged rabbit, rio toothy critter leaders are the best!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have some of Summitt's flies and will put them to good use this summer as I return to the eastern side of Glacier for a work month. :D I am pumped! I would have used them last year though some knucklehead stole my fly rod 'n reel right out of my boat at a breakfast house in Babb of all places! (I won't name who left the fly rod in the boat... I don't find that really necessary. :) )

This year I am going to SLAY those pike I located last year. Pics to come! Thanks again, Summitt! AWESOME looking flies!

Rabbit fur flies fished slow works for the bigger ones. I like fishing just under the surface so I can see the strikes. Smaller pike will hit faster stuff including topwater. An 8 weight is plenty and there is no need for flies longer than 4".

This 42 incher was in Canada 20 years ago after ice out. The ones in the states can be pickier.

There is a book called "Pike on the Fly" that is a classic.

Attachments

• pike.jpg
    pike.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 387

Do you tie your own flies? If so, would you be interested in selling some?

I have some of Summitt's flies and will put them to good use this summer as I return to the eastern side of Glacier for a work month. :D I am pumped! I would have used them last year though some knucklehead stole my fly rod 'n reel right out of my boat at a breakfast house in Babb of all places! (I won't name who left the fly rod in the boat... I don't find that really necessary. :) )

This year I am going to SLAY those pike I located last year. Pics to come! Thanks again, Summitt! AWESOME looking flies!

If you have time, hit lake Francis near Valier since you will be in that part of the country. I lived in Conrad for several years, and Francis has awesome pike fishing.

If you have time, hit lake Francis near Valier since you will be in that part of the country. I lived in Conrad for several years, and Francis has awesome pike fishing.

Always appreciate tips within the area. Here is one in return, In Canada, Saint Mary's Lake has nice walleye and pike... Damn, I broke the code on forum public policy if placing locations... Yet, I am knowingly doing so... Is that a felony "ban- able" offense? :)

I started fly fishing panfish a couple of years ago. It sure was a nice change of pace than the hook and bobber. Last year I went to Cabelas and bought a little heavier rod and plan on hitting the northerns this year. Its gonna be a good year. Thanks for showing the pics. Those are some nice fish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back