Pickup of the Future?

It was a dramatic couple of days on the Rivian Forums!

IMO, the truck was still a decent value, even at the increased price. Reviews are saying equal or better to a Jeep Rubicon offroad, and comparable to a Ferrari on road. And priced comparable to an F-150 Platinum. Yeah, it’s a lot of money, but good value for what you’re getting. So I was still a buyer.

But feedback on the forums was indicating a 30-50% cancellation rate amongst preorder holders. Mostly emotional reactions to the pathetic comms that Rivian has become infamous for. So they reversed course and reverted pricing for anyone who had a preorder prior to March 1. It’ll save me about $15k and make it a steal for what I’m getting. Still risky with a startup company with no quality or service history, but I’ve been down that road before with Tesla and never regretted it. They’ll take care of the early adopters to protect their brand as they attempt to scale up to mass production. Scaling to mass is where they will start having service and customer satisfaction problems, just like a Tesla did.

Scheduled to get my truck May-June, but really not expecting it until July-Aug at the earliest since they’ve missed pretty much every date they’ve put out so far.

Went by the Rivian service center in SLC today. I tend to drive by there whenever I’m down that way, but had yet to see any trucks there. But today…

245AC781-A721-494D-813B-18568D1BA1F5.jpeg

I talked to a couple of guys working there and they said they are getting trucks in just about every day, and that the ones I saw in the parking lot were overflow since they had run out of space inside. They seemed pretty bullish on my May-June delivery estimate holding up. This was the first time I’ve gotten to see them up close and personal. Starting to feel real.

There was a delivery trailer with 3 of them parked at the rest area on Homestake pass yesterday. As far as electric vehicles go, it’s by far my favorite.

I couldn't agree with you guys more. 250 isn't enough for me, or us. But the data says that the average American drives 70 miles a day which is what the Auto Manufacturers are banking on. And also remember the "range" is just that, just like the EPA MPG.

I currently work for Audi of North America as a Factory Rep. You can literally jump into an Etron on a full charge, have 210 mile range, and start playing with seat heaters, A/C, wipers, etc.. and the range will drop 20-30 miles instantly.

I really like the electric vehicles for metro commuting, but get out past that and my interest level drops
what is the newest model of R8 that has a manual transmission?

Chevy now has an EV Silverado going tomarket in '''23. The Silverado RST has 664 hp and like 780 lbs of torque. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. 400 mile range. Fold down back seat to open up to 11 feet with tailgate down and 9 feet with tail gate up.
Also looks pretty tough IMO.
Starts around $105K, but the "work truck" model will start at $39,900.
Watched videos on it today. Also, it can charge other vehicles and has 110/220v receptacles. It is pretty heavy.
Interesting.

There was a delivery trailer with 3 of them parked at the rest area on Homestake pass yesterday. As far as electric vehicles go, it’s by far my favorite.
Is the truck that is delivering them electric as well or one of those disgusting dirt diesels? ;)

I just happened upon this thread since I haven't been on Hunttalk lately. I noticed the conversation on Rivian. The Rivian plant is about 20 minutes from my house. They bought the old Mitsubishi plant in Bloomington a few years ago. They probably just about had it given to them since it was going to be knocked down. Anyway, I'd say a year or two ago they really started hiring a bunch of people, about the time they got the order for 100,000 Amazon trucks and got some big infusions of cash from other automakers and Amazon. Our family manufacturing business is about 45 minutes from Rivian and we lost a few employees to go work there. They're basically recruiting anyone and everyone they can to staff the place. It sounds like they pay really well. They've been in sort of frantic growth mode trying to get production going from what I've heard. I suppose that's the standard operating procedure for a large startup with a ton of cash behind it.

There's quite a few of the trucks running around Bloomington now. I believe they sold the first XX number of them to employees at a discounted price. They're a pretty cool looking truck. One thing that surprised was the size. They're much smaller than I expected. I drive a 1/2 Chevy and they definitely a good amount smaller. Still intriging though.

Last edited:
I just happened upon this thread since I haven't been on Hunttalk lately. I noticed the conversation on Rivian. The Rivian plant is about 20 minutes from my house. They bought the old Mitsubishi plant in Bloomington a few years ago. They probably just about had it given to them since it was going to be knocked down. Anyway, I'd say a year or two ago they really started hiring a bunch of people, about the time they got the order for 100,000 Amazon trucks and got some big infusions of cash from other automakers and Amazon. Our family manufacturing business is about 45 minutes from Rivian and we lost a few employees to go work there. They're basically recruiting anyone and everyone they can to staff the place. It sounds like they pay really well. They've been in sort of frantic growth mode trying to get prioduction going from what I've heard. I suppose that's the standard operating procedure for a large startup with a ton of cash behind it.

There's quite a few of the trucks running around Bloomington now. I believe they sold the first XX number of them to employees at a discounted price. They're a pretty cool looking truck. One thing that surprised was the size. They're much smaller than I expected. I drive a 1/2 Chevy and they definitely a good amount smaller. Still intriging though.
Howdy, neighbor! ;)

Our youngest has worked there pretty much from the start.

One thing that surprised was the size. They're much smaller than I expected. I drive a 1/2 Chevy and they definitely a good amount smaller. Still intriging though.
The current Rivian R1T is designed more as an adventure truck than a work truck. It’s size is in between a midsize and full size traditional truck - bigger than a Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado but smaller than a Tundra/F-150/Silverado.

If you’re looking for more of a full sized work truck and all electric, then F-150 Lightening which is just beginning to ship or the upcoming Silverado EV are your better bets. But if you aren’t already on the list for one, you’re likely waiting 2-3 years to get it. I got on the F-150 list within a few minutes of the reservation system going live, and missed wave 1 and wave 2 deliveries. Likely looking at late this year or early next if I planned to get it. But will likely go with the Rivian in a couple of months instead.

The current Rivian R1T is designed more as an adventure truck than a work truck. It’s size is in between a midsize and full size traditional truck - bigger than a Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado but smaller than a Tundra/F-150/Silverado.

If you’re looking for more of a full sized work truck and all electric, then F-150 Lightening which is just beginning to ship or the upcoming Silverado EV are your better bets. But if you aren’t already on the list for one, you’re likely waiting 2-3 years to get it. I got on the F-150 list within a few minutes of the reservation system going live, and missed wave 1 and wave 2 deliveries. Likely looking at late this year or early next if I planned to get it. But will likely go with the Rivian in a couple of months instead.
I'm out of the market until the next time around. I just bought another gas Silverado so my EV days are somewhere in the future, probably 5 years or so.

Am I missing something?? 100K seems closer to a 100% increase to their original pricing stated in the first article in this thread. I was sure that they said 52,500 and that they qualify for the 7,500 tax rebate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back