Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pickup of the Future?

I just hope I can get one of you 1%ers who lives close to a ski resort to let me stay on your couch until I get back on my feet after my house is under water.

Go buy a heavy duty Diesel engine from 2007 or earlier then go buy one from 2008-present and come back and tell me how amazing your world saving technologies are.

Is his name really Elon? What a great marketing coincidence.
He made ev’s cool.
people want to be cool like him.
he’s just so cool.
like he goes to burning man, man.
I lost a lot of respect for him when he puffed that B like a schoolboy on Rogan.
If you’re gonna claim to be some great future seer and brilliant mind you should prob be able to figure out how to inhale.
lost respect for Rogan too.
he should’ve roasted him for that.
sad.

He's like a Bond villain, and I'd bet he's cooler than pretty much every executive and board member at the Big 3. I won't own a Tesla because they are useless for my purposes at this point and are still yuppie statement vehicles, but you have to applaud the the guy for actually putting together a car company that gets more and more competitive every year. When's the last time somebody actually did that and hung around longer than a few years???

Charging time info from Rivian

He's like a Bond villain, and I'd bet he's cooler than pretty much every executive and board member at the Big 3. I won't own a Tesla because they are useless for my purposes at this point and are still yuppie statement vehicles, but you have to applaud the the guy for actually putting together a car company that gets more and more competitive every year. When's the last time somebody actually did that and hung around longer than a few years???
He’s like an Austin powers villain.
yeah I don’t imagine any big 3 execs being cool people.
I’ll admit I think some of his rocket ships are cool.

Charging time info from Rivian
That link just covers home charging. This one covers the spectrum from level 1 (plugging into a std 120v 15 amp home outlet), level 2 (240v 40 amp) and level 3 (high speed DC charging).

Trucks such as Rivian, F-150 and Hummer will get less miles per unit of time charging because they are less efficient vehicles than sedans. So the same charger that adds 30 miles of range per hour of charge for a Tesla sedan will only get ~25 for a truck. Rivian is quoting 140 miles of range in 20 minute of charging for their truck when using DCFC chargers.

That link just covers home charging. This one covers the spectrum from level 1 (plugging into a std 120v 15 amp home outlet), level 2 (240v 40 amp) and level 3 (high speed DC charging).

Trucks such as Rivian, F-150 and Hummer will get less miles per unit of time charging because they are less efficient vehicles than sedans. So the same charger that adds 30 miles of range per hour of charge for a Tesla sedan will only get ~25 for a truck. Rivian is quoting 140 miles of range in 20 minute of charging for their truck when using DCFC chargers.
True, but the average person would likely charge over night at home unless their place of work had a charger.

True, but the average person would likely charge over night at home unless their place of work had a charger.
That’s correct. However, the biggest concern many folks have with EV’s is in regards to charging when they are away from home on longer road trips and whatnot. Can I get from point A to point B and back if it’s more than 100 miles each way? And how long will it take to charge there? That’s where the networks and high speed charging becomes very important.

U.S. President Joe Biden will rely on ally countries to supply the bulk of the metals needed to build electric vehicles and focus on processing them domestically into battery parts, part of a strategy designed to placate environmentalists, two administration officials with direct knowledge told Reuters.

The plans will be a blow to U.S. miners who had hoped Biden would rely primarily on domestically sourced metals, as his campaign had signaled last autumn, to help fulfill his ambitions for a less carbon-intensive economy.

They do consume raw material such as lithium, and the energy they operate on isn’t 100% green as has been mentioned (but neither is it 100% fossil based as one uninformed poster stated).
I have worked in the energy business for 40 years and I’m currently the US Director of Operations for an energy company. If you were referring to me as the uninformed poster then you should reconsider. So called renewable energy sources are not all that green either. Solar plants absolutely sterilize thousands, soon to be millions of actes of wildland for a vert small percentage of the grid. It isn’t worth it. Solar on your home is a great idea though, that I agree with. Wind power has a horrible effect on wildlife too but it’s downplayed. I used to be California Operations Manager for GE and we sold LOTS of wind generators and made lots of money. But we destroyed wildlife by doing it.

Last edited:
Life is pretty tough when one makes everything binary.
REI spokesperson Megan Behrbaum said in an email that the company partnered with Ford “to create content where people could see themselves having an active lifestyle in the outdoors.” The ads feature several Native American cyclists, including Necefer, a member of the Navajo Nation and founder of the outdoor gear company NativesOutdoors.

But Behrbaum acknowledged that the subject line of an REI email this month introducing the Ford campaign to members — “Load Up. Gas Up. Get Out.” — was “misaligned” with the company’s mission.
REI’s director of sustainability, Matt Thurston, went further, telling a frustrated co-op member via email that he was “not aware of the advertisement before its release,” according to a copy of the email shared with The Times.

“I’ve since had a conversation with the team leading that body of work to convey your (and my) concerns about the message,” Thurston told the member. “They understand the opportunity to align our messaging with our environmental ethos.”
Before teaming up with Ford, REI took into consideration “how our respective companies have shared values around topics like climate change and racial equity,” Behrbaum said. She pointed to Ford’s Bronco Wild Fund, which donates some of the revenue from Bronco sales to nonprofits focused on protecting public lands and making the outdoors more accessible to all.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back