Picked up a new Marlin yesterday

samhain

Been eyeing a lever gun for a month or so, thought I had settled on a 336 Marlin in .35 Remington but could not find one at three different gun dealers. Was told they had heard Marlin was going to stop producing the .35 and that got me thinking if that was true ammo could become hard to find. So I shifted my focus the 1895 cambered in 45-70, did some research on the ballistics and it's a sledge hammer. Went yesterday morning and picked up the gun new from sportsman's warehouse. I'm going to shoot Hornady 325 leverevolution in it, probably mount a 3x9-40 Leupold of some sort because this is going to be my brush gun <100yds.
IMG_20200112_121038263.jpg

Nice choice, I bought one new 4 years ago and it's a good shooter.I had heard that Marlin had some QC issues after they were bought by Remington but I haven't had any with mine.

Under 100?? Go the big hairy manly route and 405'rs and up! No reason you have to wait for him to step from behind that piddly 12" tree!

I was playing Doc holiday with my .44's and grabbed the 45-70 for effect. Shot into a piece of spruce firewood measured 22" dia. at the skinny end. Good thing I had a big round bale behind the wood or I may have had a llama to bury.

They are a fun gun to play with, extra fun if you handload.

Cool!

My favorite scope for a 45/70 is the little 2.5x Leupold. It's only about 8 ounces and has a generous 4.9" of eye relief - that's important with heavy loads! I've got mine mounted in Quick Release rings. It returns to zero just fine if I remove and replace it.

6oNzMKWh.jpg

I hope you enjoy that big bore Marlin, they're pretty doggone great rifles.

Regards, Guy

Just picked up a 336 in 30-30 a few months ago to use for a mountain rifle. Wanted to step back in time to my youth I guess. Went out and shot it before the season and had just a blast. Hope to pack it some next season.

Been eyeing a lever gun for a month or so, thought I had settled on a 336 Marlin in .35 Remington but could not find one at three different gun dealers. Was told they had heard Marlin was going to stop producing the .35 and that got me thinking if that was true ammo could become hard to find. So I shifted my focus the 1895 cambered in 45-70, did some research on the ballistics and it's a sledge hammer. Went yesterday morning and picked up the gun new from sportsman's warehouse. I'm going to shoot Hornady 325 leverevolution in it, probably mount a 3x9-40 Leupold of some sort because this is going to be my brush gun <100yds.
View attachment 125278
call it thumper gonna have a little recoil

I've got an older JM factory ported 45-70 that I absolutely love. After dealing with CS with the Remlin I bought a few years ago, i dont know that I'd ever give them another nickel again. Hopefully they've got the issues ironed out and you got a decent shooter.

Cool!

My favorite scope for a 45/70 is the little 2.5x Leupold. It's only about 8 ounces and has a generous 4.9" of eye relief - that's important with heavy loads! I've got mine mounted in Quick Release rings. It returns to zero just fine if I remove and replace it.

6oNzMKWh.jpg

I hope you enjoy that big bore Marlin, they're pretty doggone great rifles.

Regards, Guy

Now that is a perfect hunting scope!

Well i really liked my 444 & 45/70, then came the bypass and my doctor who is a gun guy told me no more shooting the big bores and he know I had them, oh and he also reminded me that I was 73 years old, congrats on the new gun I think you will really like it !!!!

I've got an older JM factory ported 45-70 that I absolutely love. After dealing with CS with the Remlin I bought a few years ago, i dont know that I'd ever give them another nickel again. Hopefully they've got the issues ironed out and you got a decent shooter.

My 30-30 is the JM series also it really shoots well I had heard the same info on the newer models.

I've got the Guide Gun. I've killed a squirrel (low pressure round to it's thinker) and a deer (436 Cast at about 1600) with it. Really fun gun that you can load everything from Collar button bullets to heavy teeth rattling loads. You'll enjoy it greatly.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back