Picked up a new Marlin yesterday

If youre thinking close range anyway, consider challenging yourself to get just a wee bit closer and using iron sights.

Youll love the gun. I just picked up a marlin .444, itching to get out and whack a few bears with it this year.

Well I'm sorry to say (not really) I sold the 45-70 before ever firing it. I saw a 2019 shot show x bolt maple medallion 06 I couldn't pass up and brought it home. Beautiful gun.

I used to have an 1885GS without ports that I loved. I loaded it from mild to wild using 420gr cast boolits and Unique, 2400, and RL7. A 420gr bullet going at 1800+ FPS from an 18.5” barrel has more than a little bit of muzzle rise.

I miss it, but plan to get another one someday with a 20-22” barrel and a big loop lever to save my knuckles and be able to wear gloves while shooting it. I’ll probably just load light-to-midpower loads for it with heavy cast boolits, though.

Starline brass worked very well for me in 45/70 with the heavier loads, but I needed the softer/thinner Winchester brass for the really light loads or else it would spot up on me pretty badly.

Oh, and I forgot...

I had mine setup to use Williams 5D peep sights and a white Marbles front bead OR a low power scope. I had a gunsmith to drill and tap for a side mounted (old style) peep sight and to modify the rear of the scope base to where the “elevator” of the sight would not be in the way of the scope when I removed the aperture. Using QR rings (I just used weavers) I was able to have the best of both worlds in peep sights or scope use quickly.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back