Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Physical Conditioning @ Home

I do an 8 mile out and back trip 2x a week alternating with a shorter 3 mile one 2x per week. Here’s a pic from the longer one today:
IMG_1503.JPG

Every Saturday and Sunday I hike our gravel road to the pavement and back with a 50 lb pack. It’s 2.5 miles each way. The way out is mostly downhill and The way back is mostly up. I’ve been hiking another 4 mile trail 1 or 2 times a week Without the pack but it was over 90 degrees everyday this week so I only did that route once. I’ve also started doing squats After a few months off with a groin injury. I do sets of 25 body weight squats. I’m at the weight I was last year when I left for elk hunting. Hopefully, if I lay off the spotted cows and the crap food I’ll be 5-10 lbs lighter in September.

I have no idea, I'm not in charge, I just roll out of bed and stumble downstairs to where my wife is waiting impatiently to start whatever workout is queued up...I'm about 3 weeks in and whatever we're on right now is certainly hard! I've gained about 3-4lbs since we started, pretty sure it's not fat either.

I’ve been doing work outs from with my wife from some phone app before work those things are the devil.

I applaud those who can ruck... I just can’t bring myself to put weights in my pack. That said I do bring the kitchen sink when I hike to make it a bit harder.

With the gym closed and finally having access to dirt trails I’ve been running more. I try to do a longer one on the weekends... humidity is rough.

Anyone taking this time on "lockdown" to do any conditioning or have any goals? I put this under Safety, First Aid, and Survivial; since most of might agree that it should come first. i.e. - Before you start thinking about tags/units, calibers, equipment, techniques, etc. .... Get Your Arse In Shape!!

My three goals over the next 5-7 weeks:

1. Shed about 15 pounds of fat.

2. Improve my mile run time.

3. Focus on conditioning exercises that will prevent knee and back injuries while in the field.

Tips, thoughts???
I'm probably the only person on this site that has this conditioning program. (?) i compete in the extreme sport of "Western Pack Burro Racing". We run with our Burros long distances, at high altitudes, over rough mountain terrain. The Fairplay race is 29 miles on the long course. Leadville is 21 miles. Both of these races top out on 13,185 ft. Mosquito Pass, coming from opposite sides for each race. It's the State of Colorado's official Summer State Sport. Covid19 postponed and canceled some races but there's some coming up soon. As a guy that's going to be 70 in 3 months, ya gotta do something to stave off old age.
My pic is from the 2019 race in Buena Vista. It was a 13 mile sprint. My Burro was adopted from the BLM, as he was captured in Utah, where he was wild for 5 years. He likes to pass whomever is in front of him!

Attachments

• Buena_Vista_2019_Michael_Mewes-87.jpg
    Buena_Vista_2019_Michael_Mewes-87.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
I'm probably the only person on this site that has this conditioning program. (?) i compete in the extreme sport of "Western Pack Burro Racing". We run with our Burros long distances, at high altitudes, over rough mountain terrain. The Fairplay race is 29 miles on the long course. Leadville is 21 miles. Both of these races top out on 13,185 ft. Mosquito Pass, coming from opposite sides for each race. It's the State of Colorado's official Summer State Sport. Covid19 postponed and canceled some races but there's some coming up soon. As a guy that's going to be 70 in 3 months, ya gotta do something to stave off old age.
My pic is from the 2019 race in Buena Vista. It was a 13 mile sprint. My Burro was adopted from the BLM, as he was captured in Utah, where he was wild for 5 years. He likes to pass whomever is in front of him!
That puts a new meaning to getting your ass in shape.

Holy Smokes! You get the originality medal!

My gym is still closed so I’ve been hiking and biking hard, but I’m going to start trying some of the body weight mountain tough workouts as well. I took the dog for a run on the CDT last night, which reminded me how much I hate running.

My wife talked me into doing her 60-day Insanity workout with her. I don't need to lose weight but I do need to strengthen the muscles around my bad knee and get ready for my buddy's sheep hunt in August. We get up at 6 and jump around like idiots in the basement for 40 minutes every day, my body hurts...
I'm also on the wife-induced Insanity program (Insanity Max 30)....helluva workout. 4 or 5 weeks in and i can definitely see/feel results, so now I kind of want to keep going.......

i need to start something; i do not need to lose weight, I'm skinny but out of shape. I think the dog and I will start a running routine every morning

I took the dog for a run on the CDT last night, which reminded me how much I hate running.

I've switched between running and gym workouts for the last 10 years. Mostly based on convenience, easier to go to the gym in the city and more bang for your buck. With covid I'm back to mostly running.

I hate short runs, I think it's mostly because I run to fast and get anaerobic. I try to call my mom/friends/ etc now and chat, that keeps me aerobic and it makes it much more enjoyable... podcast work for me as well, I can't do music. YMMV but 90min - 3hrs nice and slow seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I've switched between running and gym workouts for the last 10 years. Mostly based on convenience, easier to go to the gym in the city and more bang for your buck. With covid I'm back to mostly running.

I hate short runs, I think it's mostly because I run to fast and get anaerobic. I try to call my mom/friends/ etc now and chat, that keeps me aerobic and it makes it much more enjoyable... podcast work for me as well, I can't do music. YMMV but 90min - 3hrs nice and slow seems to be the sweet spot for me.
I’ve been doing similar. Lately I’ve broken it down into an interval training type of run, with some long slow stretches, sprints on the hills, and then a hike downhill. It’s been kicking my ass.

Day hike from 6400' up to 8000', 3.75 miles in, then back out. Three hours of boulder hopping in Yankee Jim Canyon the next day. An hour of waterskiing today.

Also doing push-ups, crunches, and 20# dumbbell arm workouts in the mornings I'm home.

Gotta say, kinda liking not having a gym to go to.

I've increased my workouts over previous years, but also increased my alcohol consumption and noticed I'm gaining a few pounds and can't tell if it's muscle or beer gut.
mystery solved, I went back to work in the office so happy hour no longer starts in the early afternoon, and after two weeks I've dropped 10 lbs while maintaining my workout routine. I saw these little things call abs the other day, they're kinda cute.

Lots of work on the bike due to a back injury. It’s a pain to throw the bike in the truck and drive someplace to ride, but I’ve had one too many close calls to ride on the roads anymore - too many idiots on phones not paying attention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back