Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Pheasants in your area

GSP4EVER

How is the pheasant hunting in your area this year. I am seeing lots of hens and just a few roosters in southern Minnesota. My bro-in-law was in NW Iowa over the weekend and they got six birds for 5 guys. They were following a combine on foot though, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I am hoping that most of the corn is out in my area that Ill start seeing more birds since they cant hide in the corn anymore.

I went out once last week. I got 1, and saw 2 other roosters. Lots of hens in my area. The #'s still seem down quite a bit even just from 3 or 4 years ago. But I'm not much of a pheasant hunter, I'm not into it enough to give a credible report.

They sure are cool birds though.

We have been traveling to Kansas for phez and quail the last five years. But not this year. Numbers in NW KS were way off last year and they appear worse this year. I have been in touch with several reliable contacts and the reports are all grim.
So, change of plans. I bought a leftover elk/deer combo for MT. Leaving this Thursday to hunt with my son who lives out there. I will sorely miss hunting with my dogs in KS. It's my first passion. Not a bad consolation prize though.

East Idaho seems to be having kind of a down year. But that might be due to trying out some new locations because of a switch in landowners barring access to where we've hunted in the past.

Tried out a WMA where Fish and Game stocks birds a couple of times per week last weekend and did ok though.

My friends in Iowa say that this year had the lowest pheasant count ever. I hear it's because of wolves ;)

Since people on the east coast tend to confuse Idaho with Iowa anyway, the wolves must be why I'm having trouble finding birds this year too. :)

Parts of South Dakota are waaay down this year. Been working in the area near Pine Ridge and Rosebud reservations and many have told hunters to stay home. Compared to last year the hunting is terrible.

Hit or miss in NW Nebraska. There are a few pockets of good birds but many places have been down for several years.

Hit or miss here. Chukars are way down, very few chicks.

Reports for most areas of Kansas are to expect same or worse than last year in most areas. And last year was really bad in almost all of traditional pheasant range. The late summer moisture ands cooler than last year's temperature has most people thinking that there will more springtime cover for the hens to nest and provide hiding cover for the chicks.......for next year.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back