Pheasant Hunting South or North Dakota

I have heard good things about some areas of Nebraska. I would feel better better throwing a dart at a map of Nebraska vs hunting what used to be the epicenter of the ND pheasant world (Mott).
There's more moose around Mott than there are pheasants!

I just read the other day South Dakota will no longer be doing Bird counts road side survey. I guess when the numbers are bad no one goes and they want the NonResidents to come regardless if they have any success or not. Can You say Show Me the Money.
Iowa has done road side surveys for a very long time as well as South Dakota take the counts, the truth shall set you free.
Not only that it's the only real gauge we have had on accessing long term trends.
South Dakota only did them for 70 years but canceled them this year.
Birds were way down in S.D. last year they dont want you to know the truth, they are also gonna get you for a $25 habitat stamp this year.

i have hunted at Paul Nelson Farm and Scattergun Lodge. Both top notch lodges. Scattergun was less expensive and allowed more birds each day. Neither are cheap.

My Father in-law and a few of his buddies go to Yorkshire every year for birds, but this COVID-19 put a damper on it this year. Hence why we’re looking at SD. Paul Nelson looks really nice $$ Just more then he wants to spend. I believe he said it would be over 23k for the three of us.

Last edited:
My Father in-law and a few of his buddies go to Yorkshire every year for birds, but this COVID-19 put a damper on it this year. Hence why we’re looking at SD. Paul Nelson looks really nice $$ Just more then he wants to spend. I believe he said it would be over 23k for the three of us.
But you get free whiskey!

23000 for pheasants you have to be kidding me i have whiskey and strippers 10 miles away i will do it for 5000.

If you want top flight here it is......this is one of Philip Anschutz's ranches about an hour east of Denver on the Platte. He generously hosts some SOF warriors and their kids each year and my son and I were lucky enough to enjoy his hospitality for a weekend of upland and goose hunting. Hunting was amazing and the lodge is an incredible log structure with crazy western and native art. The bar? Bought, disassembled and shipped from Scotland (I believe 500+ yo). Staff and food are great. Not sure about rates but definitely worth checking on. Here are some pics from the experience (my first bird hunt of any kind).....didn't get goose pics at the layout, 26 of us limited in under an hour :) PM me if you have questions.

Attachments

• GEDC0530 2.jpg
    GEDC0530 2.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 11
  • GEDC0535.JPG
    GEDC0535.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • GEDC0537 2.jpg
    GEDC0537 2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 11
  • GEDC0539 2.jpg
    GEDC0539 2.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 11
  • GEDC0543.JPG
    GEDC0543.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • GEDC0544 2.jpg
    GEDC0544 2.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 11
  • GEDC0545.JPG
    GEDC0545.JPG
  • GEDC0546.JPG
    GEDC0546.JPG
  • GEDC0547.JPG
    GEDC0547.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • GEDC0548.JPG
    GEDC0548.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10
23000 for pheasants you have to be kidding me i have whiskey and strippers 10 miles away i will do it for 5000.
Holy cats. Two or three trips would buy me a jet boat that I could then have unlimited chukar hunting at my whim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back