Caribou Gear

Pheasant Hunting South or North Dakota

SW ND there is no shortage of public land, unposted private, and birds in and around the Little Missouri National grasslands. Plus you can shoot sharpies too

If you decide SD and decide guided- check out Stukel's Upland Adventures in Gregory, SD.
I've heard good things about Stukel's if you go the fully guided route.

Chris (UGuide) offers what amount to Trespass fee hunts - lodging/access/maps/info included - we were some of his first customers many years ago and have enough of our own spots now that we haven't used him in a long time, but he has some great ground and the lodging factor is great: https://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/

Around the pheasant "capitals" of SD (Winner, Gregory, Chamberlain, Mitchell, et al) you are going to be challenged to find pure day trespass rates, at least in the range of what I'd call 'reasonable'. However - in more out of the way areas, we have still had success knocking on doors and tendering payment in Whisky and beer. But that is typically in 'late' season (say mid-November onwards). Last time we were in Winner and knocked on a few doors we were - in order - apologized to (leased up), asked for $500 cash for the 2 of us, and laughed at :) ymmv

Still some birds around W/SW ND but nothing like it used to be just a few years ago. We used to easily shoot daily limits of rooties then the CRP started to disappear and a few hard winters combined with springs that were too wet or too hot/dry decimated em. Last time we went we had guys that had come up to spend a week and they left on day 2. Unless you have a big time hookup ND is not the place to go until it bounces back.

Still some birds around W/SW ND but nothing like it used to be just a few years ago. We used to easily shoot daily limits of rooties then the CRP started to disappear and a few hard winters combined with springs that were too wet or too hot/dry decimated em. Last time we went we had guys that had come up to spend a week and they left on day 2. Unless you have a big time hookup ND is not the place to go until it bounces back.

This^^^ ND in general is nothing even close to what it used to be unless you get on some major private.

We used to easily shoot daily limits of rooties then the CRP started to disappear and a few hard winters combined with springs that were too wet or too hot/dry decimated em.
I will echo this. Eastern side of the state all the public gets annihilated. I wouldn't make the trip unless I had private access either. Losing all our CRP killed public upland.

Can anyone recommend a higher end all exclusive lodge in MT, SD or ND for Pheasants?

I was previously looking for more of a basic, no thrills & self guided hunt, but my Father in-law made it clear that he wants the exact opposite.

He gave me 3 contingencies,

1) One person in our party has limited independent mobility (78yr) who may need assistance. UTV/ATV would be ideal.

2) Close to an airstrip or airport.

3) The option to purchase more birds to shoot.

Last edited:
I just read the other day South Dakota will no longer be doing Bird counts road side survey. I guess when the numbers are bad no one goes and they want the NonResidents to come regardless if they have any success or not. Can You say Show Me the Money.
Iowa has done road side surveys for a very long time as well as South Dakota take the counts, the truth shall set you free.
Not only that it's the only real gauge we have had on accessing long term trends.
South Dakota only did them for 70 years but canceled them this year.

Been going to SD duck and pheasant hunting for nearly 20 years. The last two years for pheasants are the worst I have seen.

I just read the other day South Dakota will no longer be doing Bird counts road side survey. I guess when the numbers are bad no one goes and they want the NonResidents to come regardless if they have any success or not. Can You say Show Me the Money.
Iowa has done road side surveys for a very long time as well as South Dakota take the counts, the truth shall set you free.
Not only that it's the only real gauge we have had on accessing long term trends.
South Dakota only did them for 70 years but canceled them this year.
The GFP Commission's justification was, and I paraphrase, If there ever was a year for counting, this would be the year. We had perfect weather for hatching and raising pheasants. This should tell the non-resident hunters we don't need counts to tell them how good the hunting will be. WTF? Interesting reasoning to say the least.

Well there should be some good carry over from last year in ND. The right conditions and this year will be better

Cabela's ought to have an assortment of pheasant operations under their outfitter section. I don't think I've seen the catalog this year, but I recall past editions having locations in all three of those states that ought to match your requirements.

I have heard good things about some areas of Nebraska. I would feel better better throwing a dart at a map of Nebraska vs hunting what used to be the epicenter of the ND pheasant world (Mott).

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back